Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S4 to F type

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S4 to F type

Hi,

My Audi warranty is up next year and I'm looking into new cars. The F type has appealed to me so far because it has an amazing engine, looks great and intoxicated exhaust note but I have a few concerns coming from a 2013 Audi S4.

1. sound system
I've heard some complaints about the 780w Meridian Sound system, coming from the 505w Bang and Olfsen, is it noticeably worse? And can you bluetooth stream music from the phone? I've seen some posts about bluetooth issues.

2. Audi AWD to Jaguar AWD
I've never owned a RWD car and from what I've read unless it needs to the F type stays RWD most of the time. I just have some concerns about going around corners and the tail sliding out. I don't track my car however but just driving around some twisty roads.

3. Infotainment I heard is a step back compared to Audi...is it tolerable? Ironically the S4 doesn't have front sensors so maybe the Jag is an improvement. The S4 has voice control but I never use it.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:41 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I have an iPhone 6s and Bluetooth works really well, never has a problem. If you run the music app through InControl it's even better, the format is really nice plus it displays Album covers.

The following users liked this post:
Holy F type (05-31-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I have the 2015 R and it handles well, no problem getting the power down and twisty roads are a treat. The newer ones have AWD so even better.

Test drive one !

My 770 Meridian is really good.
Lawrence.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

1. Yes you can stream Bluetooth from phone. I have Samsung note 4 and it works. Someone mentioned not being able to do another function while streaming but can't recall. Maybe someone will chime in. I have no experience with B&O system, but I preferred my Bowers & Wilkins system in my previous jag.

2. You didn't say if you were looking for a V6 (base or S model) or a V8 ( R or SVR). If you get the V8 in awd it will need to be a 16 or higher as they are standard awd in the USA. The Non awds V8 can have tail happy characteristic, but some prefer that and develop their driving skills accordingly. I don't believe the rwd V6 has that characteristic. I have Awd R and it's pretty much glued to the road, no worries unless you do something crazy which would happen in any awd drive car. 90% rwd unless needed at front.

3. Yes some us are having sound quality issues with 770 watt Meridian, but despite this I love my car.

Forum here is very friendly and helpful so hurry up and get one!

Post script: I assumed you are in USA but realize you may not be.

Last edited by jaguny; 05-29-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Had several Audi's and currently own a 2015 F-Type R (RWD).

I don't hammer it on corners. If the steering wheel is turned I'm very cautious on the amount of pedal that's being applied. 550 hp can spin you around pretty quick.

With that said, the car does have some pretty smart systems to keep you from getting in trouble, and I can only assume that the 2016 AWD version is even smarter/better at it.

The sound system is terrible. I haven't been in to have mine fixed yet, but even if you take out the rattling, it's still terrible. There's a video (which was even recently posted again) about how they build the F-Type. I laugh at the section where they have the car in the soundbooth with the microphones. Nobody tested and approved this sound system like that. To me, it was an afterthought.

I love a good sound system...BUT...I don't care with this car. Honestly, I'd rather hear the exhaust tone. Even after 1 year of ownership I'd still rather hear the sounds the car produces vs the sounds the speakers produce. So although I feel the sound system should definitely be better, I can forgive JLR on this.

My 2015 streams Bluetooth music no problem (iPhone).

The infotainment system is a bit slow, but clean and easy to understand. I like it, though it's not the newest/fastest/most dazzling around. A buddy has a 2015 TTS, and his infotainment is remarkably better. Same for a buddy with a new 335 and another with a 550. Audi and BMW both have better infotainment systems (and some of the best out there IMO)...but again, the Jags' is clean, simple, easy to use.

This car is more about being a blast to drive vs. worrying about the technology that runs the music.

For me, the exterior styling + supercharged V8 is what makes a car a car. The rest is just nice to have.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2015Coupe:
hitokirishinji (05-29-2016), pistol (06-02-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
I have an iPhone 6s and Bluetooth works really well, never has a problem. If you run the music app through InControl it's even better, the format is really nice plus it displays Album covers.
+1, except I have the iPhone 5s. I think the only issues have been related to distance with the bluetooth. Intermittent cutout if phone is in my shirt pocket, but perfect when sitting in the center console.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1, except I have the iPhone 5s. I think the only issues have been related to distance with the bluetooth. Intermittent cutout if phone is in my shirt pocket, but perfect when sitting in the center console.
I get the intermittent cutout when my note 4 is in my pocket as well.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I am looking to get into either an F type R or SVR. I thinking of holding out a year to see what the refreshed F type R looks like and hoping they update the infotainment system. I was very impressed by my neighbors newish M4 but I have a bias against BMW. Also, other cars I'm considering are Audi RS7 and when it comes out, the Benz E-class AMG coupe.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:09 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

HOLY CRAP

thank you for this I didn't even know it! LOL

Old 05-31-2016, 04:02 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hitokirishinji
Hi,

My Audi warranty is up next year and I'm looking into new cars. The F type has appealed to me so far because it has an amazing engine, looks great and intoxicated exhaust note but I have a few concerns coming from a 2013 Audi S4.
I've had mine (V6 convertible) just under a year and coming up for 10k, its my daily drive.

1. sound system
I've heard some complaints about the 780w Meridian Sound system, coming from the 505w Bang and Olfsen, is it noticeably worse? And can you bluetooth stream music from the phone? I've seen some posts about bluetooth issues.
The music isnt the best, but its not bad, the main issue is packaging making the speakers vibrate, some are fine others arent. It streams music fine from my phone, never had an issue.

2. Audi AWD to Jaguar AWD
I've never owned a RWD car and from what I've read unless it needs to the F type stays RWD most of the time. I just have some concerns about going around corners and the tail sliding out. I don't track my car however but just driving around some twisty roads.
I drive "spiritedly" on country roads pretty much every day and the control and grip is great. If you turn hard and floor it in low gear, you will of course slide, but half decent driver wont have any issues, just get to know the vehicle first before flooring it at 90mph into a hairpin!! If you turn off the DSC then you can have lots of fun sliding the rear end!

3. Infotainment I heard is a step back compared to Audi...is it tolerable? Ironically the S4 doesn't have front sensors so maybe the Jag is an improvement. The S4 has voice control but I never use it.
Its tolerable, the system is functional and works, but lacks polish, the satnav can be a little strange at times. The apps are rubbish and not worth the price of the upgrade. Voice control ive had before and never used, when i tried it took so long to get what i wanted it would have been quicker to do it manually, so i dont miss it. The parking cameras are a must though.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, the best thing to do is ask your dealer for a 24 test drive. That way you can drive it round your home area, make sure all the speedbumps/kerbs etc are ok and test it on the twisty roads without an annoying dealer talking about the complimentary umbrella etc!

they will be reluctant to offer this without a deposit on a car, but I made the terms of the deposit reliant on my satisfaction of the test drive (ie, If i didnt like it, I would get my money back), they were confident in the car that I would love it. I did.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Bluetooth has never been a problem for me. It picks up even from the trunk.

Stereo is actually pretty good IMO, but not fantastic. I'm no audiophile though. It's no Mark Levinson/Burmeister/B&O, but I don't think it's that much worse.

I've got RWD and have tested the AWD V8 models. The AWD will slide, but not dramatically in my experience. I wanted more wag so I got the RWD.

As to the 24 hour test drive my dealer offered one up on the spot. Hornburg in OC.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member

Not to hijack thread but can you explain running music thru incontrol app? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts

I've owned 7 Audi's and liked all of them, 6, TT V6, 4 cab, Q7. Liked all of them, great german cars. Jag is different in a good way. I have rwd S and don't miss quattro, more fun. Even Audi's which used to be 50/50 are now 40/60 or even 35/65. Jags is active and changes. My Ghibli is active and is mostly rwd. Audi has nothing to compare to F Type.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Not to hijack thread but can you explain running music thru incontrol app? Thanks.
in the '16+ f-types you can either use Bluetooth to connect directly to the head unit and control playback from the device, or
you can Bluetooth the sound and tether the device to a dedicated USB port to control the playback through inControl on the touchscreen

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-01-2016 at 05:39 PM.
jaguny (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the input. I am looking to get into either an F type R or SVR. I thinking of holding out a year to see what the refreshed F type R looks like and hoping they update the infotainment system. I was very impressed by my neighbors newish M4 but I have a bias against BMW. Also, other cars I'm considering are Audi RS7 and when it comes out, the Benz E-class AMG coupe.
Wouldn't the F-type be in a different category compared to what your looking for? Coming from an S4 and looking at a E-class AMG or RS7 kinda falls more towards the XFR models or even the XJR 's..F-type R and SVR would be more like the TT-RS and RS5 is to Audi.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 06-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Same Move

I actually went from my S4 to a RWD Ftype S coupe and I am loving it. That being said your concerns are warranted.

1. The sound system has been an issue for me and Jaguar has been extremely unhelpful in getting the issue resolved. The system has its ups and downs and it will depend mostly on the type of music you listen to. There just seems to be a certain kind of bass the system cannot produce with some intolerable distortion. If that frequency of bass is not present in the song then you won't even notice it.

2. I live in California and going to RWD was not a big deal for me and if anything I've found the car to handle better and just feel more fun overall.

3. The infotainment is a big step back from Audi. I gave my S4 to my wife and each time I get back in that car I remember how good the Audi MMI system is. It is much more intuitive, designed better and takes less steps to achieve certain functions.

So yes, the Jag isn't perfect and your concerns are warranted. That being said the rest of the car makes up for it and more. It has been the most fun car I've driven to date and the amount of attention from onlookers and passengers is 10 fold that of the S4 (if you are into that sort of thing)

pistol (06-02-2016)