Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:30 AM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Battery Tender?

I have this CTek battery tender from my previous car.

http://amzn.to/2plRWim

Where do you hook up the permanent harness ?

Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
I have this CTek battery tender from my previous car.

http://amzn.to/2plRWim

Where do you hook up the permanent harness ?
Searchie searchie clickie clickie

The following users liked this post:
AJF (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:34 PM
AJF

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Thanks! Weird, I searched several time and kept getting zero results:

Attached Thumbnails Battery Tender?-untitled.jpeg  
Old 04-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts
AJF (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:18 PM
AJF

ah got it thanks

Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
Thanks! Weird, I searched several time and kept getting zero results:
In fairness, I had to search a few times myself before settling on 'ctek' as the best search term.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

We have a car in storage for the summer and another one in storage for the winter. I have used a battery manager for years. The CTEK model which changes/ improves from time to time is sold under a variety of labels. Mine is from WeatherTech. On the Volvo VR I clip the alligator clips to the battery terminals or the post and motor depending on which end of the car is closer to the electrical outlet. The performance seems to be the same. With the new to me MY14 Type-F does it make a difference where you put the clips? Front on the suggested post and thing, or directly onto the battery in back. I am wondering about the second battery and how it gets maintained. BTW, where is the thing. I don't know where it is located. I asked the dealership about the placement of the clips and two generally knowledgeable people gave me two different answers. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I found what I reckon is a better place to permanently hook up my charger/conditioner (not a CTEK) - to the charging post in the engine bay. I have hard-mounted the pigtail connector to this charging post, by drilling a small hole in the centre of the post then bolting on the positive lead "ring", and attaching the negative/earth lead ring to the earth post by simply unscrewing the recommended earth post, slipping the ring through the bottom of the post, then screwing it back in. The "pigtail" end tucks away underneath, then when you want to use it there is just enough length in the lead to run it out the edge of the hood so once the charger is connected you can shut the hood. It's now very neat, quick and easy to connect my charger.
The only real hassle is you need to cut a small piece out of the bottom of the red plastic cover for the positive wire to pass through, otherwise the cover won't shut, and that plastic is very tough!
Here's a pic of where I am talking about before I attached the pigtail connector, I'll get some more recent pics up soon:

The earth post is in the centre bottom of the pic.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I found what I reckon is a better place to permanently hook up my charger/conditioner (not a CTEK) - to the charging post in the engine bay. I have hard-mounted the pigtail connector to this charging post, by drilling a small hole in the centre of the post then bolting on the positive lead "ring", and attaching the negative/earth lead ring to the earth post by simply unscrewing the recommended earth post, slipping the ring through the bottom of the post, then screwing it back in. The "pigtail" end tucks away underneath, then when you want to use it there is just enough length in the lead to run it out the edge of the hood so once the charger is connected you can shut the hood. It's now very neat, quick and easy to connect my charger.
The only real hassle is you need to cut a small piece out of the bottom of the red plastic cover for the positive wire to pass through, otherwise the cover won't shut, and that plastic is very tough!
Here's a pic of where I am talking about before I attached the pigtail connector, I'll get some more recent pics up soon:

The earth post is in the centre bottom of the pic.
I hook mine up the same way.. works well and its simple.
Lawrence

Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 AM
AJF

Why do you guys prefer to connect under the hood instead of the trunk?

Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
Why do you guys prefer to connect under the hood instead of the trunk?
Its just simple.. open hood, connect, close hood. Nothing to remove and it stays on over the winter, so essentially I do it once. And/or personal preference.
Lawrence

AJF (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Opening and closing the hood(Bonnet) is far more complicated than the trunk. Also, if you have the two battery system, the ECO battery will not get charged.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I my case access is easier and quicker under the hood than it is in the trunk mainly because of the location of the powerpoint in my garage, otherwise I would need to run an extension lead.
Also my pigtail lead is not very long and I don't think it would reach to the outside of the trunk, which means I would need to place the charger in the trunk and then I'm not sure the hatch would close properly over the power lead. Another thing is the charger gets pretty damn hot and I don't like the idea of leaving it on overnight in the back of the car.
All things considered I find the engine bay connection/method to be quicker, neater, easier, simpler and safer than the trunk connection method. And I don't need to worry about the stop/start second battery as it is permanently disconnected!
Of course that's just me, YMMV.