F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Source For Finding 2021 Invoice Pricing ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Received 359 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Best Source For Finding 2021 Invoice Pricing ?

I will be working out the funding for ordering a new 2021 F Type next week. As the inventory of F Types within about a 100 mile radius is very low, my plan is just to have a local dealer place a factory order for the car optioned to my specifications. I plan on doing that within the next two weeks.

In order to be well informed, is there a good online source to find actual dealer invoice pricing on the 2021 models ? It seems like there are a lot of click bait sites that want your personal information so that a dealer may contact you with their offers. I'd just like to see what a realistic discounted selling price should be inclusive of any rebates or special offers once I sit down and negotiate the price prior to tax and license fees.
Thank you

Old 12-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Ordering is the most expensive way to buy an F-type.

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Ordering is the most expensive way to buy an F-type.
That may be but I even expanded my search to a 1000 mile radius and found nothing that I was willing to compromise with. If I am going to spend in excess of $100K on a vehicle, it should be the way I want it.

Hopefully someone with recent experience will chime in with some valuable insight.

jetsetter883 (03-18-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Kelly or Edmunds will let you configure a car and get sticker vs invoice. The trick then becomes what you can get the dealer to negotiate. It's worth checking more than one dealer. Negotiate your price first and defer financing discussion until the price is set. You may end up going through a bank, credit union, or paying cash, but the dealer can make a nice profit if you finance through them - so don't give that leverage up too soon. (Trust me on this one.)

SinF is certainly correct that buying new is an expensive entry into F-Type ownership because the front-end depreciation is steep. You'll do well to buy a car that is a year or two old, and don't restrict yourself to local inventory.

If you really want new and can be patient (6 Months), join your local Jaguar club and you'll qualify for incentives.

I bought my F-Type slightly used and saved $28k. It was 250 miles away, but easy enough to manage. The F-Pace was bought new as a factory order when the model first came out. There were some Jaguar incentives at the time, but no club discounts. Most dealers were charging sticker (or more), but I went back to the same dealer that sold me the F-Type and got 6%+ off of MSRP. I can't say how that lines up with what you could get now, but it shows that it's worth checking around.

bluejaag (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Maybe I got lucky, but when I was buying my F-type I managed to get most of my wants without ordering one. Considering that I had to have a manual transmission when it just came out, which is a rare option, I was still able to find a new car that worked for me. Yes, I didn't get 100% of everything I wanted, but $18K savings buys a lot of good scotch to drown any regrets

Consider broadening your search to a day's drive, which is to me about 350 miles radius for a round trip.

As others pointed out, Jaguars depreciate A LOT. You will pay probably $120ish with taxes and fees to order one and would only get $80K for it the next day. Plus you will have to wait 3+ months for it to arrive.

Last edited by SinF; 12-31-2020 at 11:18 AM.
bluejaag (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're a Costco member, this is another good way to get invoice pricing.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:54 AM

Thanks I'll try Kelly & Edmunds. Depreciation is not a concern. It will be a second vehicle, just for fun fair weather drives and occasional road trips.
I see that Jaguar is currently offering 0% financing but only for vehicles in stock. But it wouldn't hurt to ask the finance manager if I can get the same deal on a car that has been ordered. Part of my negotiation strategy will be that the dealer will have no flooring costs for having a car on their lot for a period of time. They will only have it for as long as it takes to do the initial new car prep, maybe just a couple of days.
I want to make it as easy as possible for the dealer with as little costs as possible incurred by them, and in turn they can make a quick buck.
The wait time will be a bummer, but not much I can do about that.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:11 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
Thanks I'll try Kelly & Edmunds. Depreciation is not a concern. It will be a second vehicle, just for fun fair weather drives and occasional road trips.
I see that Jaguar is currently offering 0% financing but only for vehicles in stock. But it wouldn't hurt to ask the finance manager if I can get the same deal on a car that has been ordered. Part of my negotiation strategy will be that the dealer will have no flooring costs for having a car on their lot for a period of time. They will only have it for as long as it takes to do the initial new car prep, maybe just a couple of days.
I want to make it as easy as possible for the dealer with as little costs as possible incurred by them, and in turn they can make a quick buck.
The wait time will be a bummer, but not much I can do about that.
I really think your negotiation power depends on the dealership. I had two made to order F-types -- it was on my first one (when the manual was just announced) that I called the Sales Manager of a dealership directly. I did that to avoid having to deal with a salesperson getting paid a commission on (what I viewed as) a guaranteed sale. He appreciate that -- and offered me a $5,000 discount PLUS whatever discounts were available through JLR *at the time my car was delivered*. So, to your point about the 0% financing -- in my case, I would have been able to get that deal but ONLY if it was still available when the car arrived. Keep in mind, a new build will probably take 4-6 months to be built and delivered -- so you have to hope that that promo is still available.

The advice to join a local JLR club is a good one. They also had some promos I could have used had I joined with the requisite 6 month history. I did get another $1000 incentive for being a new customer coming from another brand vehicle. So, in total, I got $6K off list price.

On my second F-type, the manager had already passed me over to a salesperson. She offered me a $1,500 discount -- I had to remind her that I got $5K on my first one -- which she then had to go back to the manager to discuss. They ultimately gave me the same deal I got on the first car --$5k plus any incentives available at the time of delivery. Keep in mind, I'm in Canada so I don't know if your actual discount will vary.

All of this is to say, call around and speak directly to the sales manager -- and tell them you've already built the car you want, it just needs to be ordered.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

It is indeed dealer specific. Deals can be had. When I ordered my car, I was able to get 5% off plus the JCNA deal. Certainly not a great deal, but fabulous since I got exactly what I wanted and one of the first MTs available in the US.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:35 AM

I did a little research online yesterday and TrueCar says average savings off of MSRP are about 12% and Edmunds says average discounts are $7000. TrueCar's numbers seem questionable.
Edmunds numbers are also a bit odd, for example for a car with options that has an MSRP of $94,600 they say invoice price is $89,000 and I should pay $85,500. Maybe the invoice price doesn't include any dealer holdbacks or something.

Anyway, I will be shopping this coming week and will report back. This will make either my 20th or 21st new car purchase so I am no novice when it comes to dealing with the typical salesman, sales manager and finance manager tactics. I realize that a dealer needs to make a profit to stay in business but if they don't want to budge on the price I am also willing to drive another 100 miles to save another $1000. I am in Sou. Cal and there are 6 or 7 dealerships within that radius.

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 01-02-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
This will make either my 20th or 21st new car purchase ...
Wow!