F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Changes Are Coming For The Jaguar F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 05:38 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Big Changes Are Coming For The Jaguar F-Type

The British sports car will be dramatically different next year.

There hasn’t been a new Jaguar as breathtakingly beautiful as F-Type since it launched in 2013. As the spiritual successor to the iconic E-Type, the F-Type has earned its own place within the UK carmaker’s long lineup of historic and special models. But after seven years on the market and only a few changes along the way, the F-Type either needs to be replaced outright or heavily updated to keep it competitive. Jaguar has chosen the latter. Autocar has learned there are major changes in store for the 2020 Jaguar F-Type in order to extend its production lifespan.

While there have been some previous rumors claiming an all-electric F-Type is in store, this won’t happen for next year. Instead, Jaguar will drop the supercharged V6 and replace it with a new turbocharged and hybrid straight-six with better fuel economy.

Fortunately, the supercharged V8 will remain with relatively few changes. The turbocharged four-cylinder will also be carried over. But what about the manual transmission, we hear you cry. It’s already been dropped in North America and chances are this will happen in Europe and other overseas markets due to a low take rate.

Significant exterior changes will also happen. For the most part, the F-Type today looks about the same as it did nearly seven years ago. Expect to see a new front end design featuring slimmer headlights repositioned further down on the front fascia. A redesigned grille and new taillight styling are also planned.

Like the exterior, the F-Type’s cabin designed has changed very little but for 2020 it’ll incorporate more advanced technologies, digital dials, and infotainment features. The overall styling theme will come directly from the I-Pace and newly updated XE sedan. Jaguar is also fixing one of the chief complaints of the F-Type: too many cheap interior materials. Expect substantial upgrades in that department.

Jaguar has yet to announce the 2020’s official reveal date, but we expect it’ll make its first public appearance this fall, such at Frankfurt or Los Angeles. It’s also possible Jaguar will wait until March 2020 for a Geneva debut.

The following 2 users liked this post by zach05855:
DJS (05-27-2019), JgaXkr (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

One thing in that report doesn't make much sense - the claim that the V6 will be replaced by an Ingenium I6 (with a turbo and some leccy power) but the V8 will continue on.
As we know the V6 is based on the V8 and both are produced in the same Ford engine plant at Bridgend (Wales), and the JLR deal with Ford to build those engines is coming to an end some time in 2020 (possibly December 2020).
Why then would JLR scrap the V6 (which is used in a lot of JLR vehicles not just the F-Type) but continue with the V8? That makes zero sense to me.
I can only guess that JLR have negotiated a new deal with Ford for the V8 only, either that or the report has it all wrong.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:52 PM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Here’s hoping they don’t give in to current trends and ruin the front grill by enlarging it to absurd proportions. Talking to you Lexus, AM and many other brands including the new 7 series. My opinion of course.

The following 4 users liked this post by Fjmviper:
AJ16er (05-27-2019), Burt Gummer (05-28-2019), DJS (05-27-2019), uncheel (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

The new interior should be nice. It actually has aluminium paddles! The twin screen setup with incorporated dials looks easy to use as well. The 2020 XE interior was enough to convince me to order one for my wife, which is being built now.

As for the exterior, I actually like the current Astons and I think that the F Type isnt looking as nice as it did when it first came out. It looks as though it needs to go on a diet - that SVR picture looks more like a GTR, and they were never a particularly pretty car.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

My dealer called me last week, wanted to know what I was doing re svr build, told him I just saw facelift mule in pics

Was told they can place order now for October 2020 delivery

i was surprised, it isn’t even released, what info do you guys have at dealer level, still waiting for the info/build sheet....

If they keep the v8 and it gets all the latest JLR digital dash and infotainment I’m in for sure. Radar cruise and proper adaptive led would be nice as well given I’ve gotten used to these features now on my other cars

Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Old story was new V8 to based and sourced from BMW

Old 05-28-2019, 07:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I hope they don't give it the squinty headlights like on the Vantage. That looks really goofy IMO. But I do hope they fix the rear spoiler on the coupe, though. I never warmed up to that. The one on the SVR is worse. It doesn't fit the car at all, IMO. They should lower the roof line a bit and add an integrated duckbill spoiler.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:36 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The supercharged V6 is being dropped because it's unable to meet Euro 6.2 emissions standards that come into effect in 2020.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
I hope they don't give it the squinty headlights like on the Vantage. That looks really goofy IMO. But I do hope they fix the rear spoiler on the coupe, though. I never warmed up to that. The one on the SVR is worse. It doesn't fit the car at all, IMO. They should lower the roof line a bit and add an integrated duckbill spoiler.
The roofline is plenty low already if the whole car is lowered.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The roofline is plenty low already if the whole car is lowered.

One thing I noticed when going from coupe to convertible is that the roof on the vert is lower and I'm pretty sure the side windows are smaller. This has pretty much eliminated the big problem I had with the sun coming in the side windows on my drive to work. The roof edge site low enough that it blocks the sun so the sun visor problem doesn't exist...as long as the top is up.

But rear visibility is also a problem in the coupe, and I think that if they made the rear hatch lower and wider with different integration into the rear bumper, it would improve rear visibility and allow a better spoiler design that didn't make rear visibility even worse.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
One thing I noticed when going from coupe to convertible is that the roof on the vert is lower and I'm pretty sure the side windows are smaller. This has pretty much eliminated the big problem I had with the sun coming in the side windows on my drive to work. The roof edge site low enough that it blocks the sun so the sun visor problem doesn't exist...as long as the top is up.

But rear visibility is also a problem in the coupe, and I think that if they made the rear hatch lower and wider with different integration into the rear bumper, it would improve rear visibility and allow a better spoiler design that didn't make rear visibility even worse.
The vert is only 3mm (less than 1/8") lower than the coupe. Door glass is identical.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The vert is only 3mm (less than 1/8") lower than the coupe. Door glass is identical.
Hmm...the door glass is definitely not identical...they are completely different shapes. But the height might be the same and the sensation that the roof is lower could be an optical illusion. It does feel like the side of the roof comes down a little lower because it definitely blocks the sun more than my coupe did.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
My dealer called me last week, wanted to know what I was doing re svr build, told him I just saw facelift mule in pics

Was told they can place order now for October 2020 delivery

i was surprised, it isn’t even released, what info do you guys have at dealer level, still waiting for the info/build sheet....

If they keep the v8 and it gets all the latest JLR digital dash and infotainment I’m in for sure. Radar cruise and proper adaptive led would be nice as well given I’ve gotten used to these features now on my other cars
They are offering to build you a 2020 which hasn't changed at all (evidenced by the one in my garage). The author of this article doesn't know that they should be referring to 2021.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
The supercharged V6 is being dropped because it's unable to meet Euro 6.2 emissions standards that come into effect in 2020.
So if the V6 SC doesn't meet Euro 6.2 how in the hell does the V8 SC meet it?
Enquiring minds want to know!

The following users liked this post:
Paul_59 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Euro Standards? Aren't there millions of VW diesels still running around Europe? Maybe that changed, but after the US scandal they didn't seem to give a damn about Europe. No F-Type could even come close to what those diesels are pumping out in smog.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Euro Standards? Aren't there millions of VW diesels still running around Europe? Maybe that changed, but after the US scandal they didn't seem to give a damn about Europe. No F-Type could even come close to what those diesels are pumping out in smog.
Euro 6.2 is mainly about the evil CO2 (you know, wot causes "climate change") and hence fuel economy, while Dieselgate was all about NOX (oxides of nitrogen).
It is a well known fact that all else equal diesel gets better fuel economy than petrol (gas to you Muricans!), which is why some 10 or so years ago Europe and UK gummints heavily promoted diesel and demonized petrol (again coz of that eeeeevil climate change causing CO2). Then, following Dieselgate, they suddenly decided that the NOX and particulates emitted by diesel engines was worse than CO2 so they switched to being anti-diesel. A major reason why JLR have struggled recently as the vast majority of their vehicles were diesel powered and they didn't see (or at least react to) the gummint change of policy quick enough.

The following users liked this post:
fujicoupe (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nati
They are offering to build you a 2020 which hasn't changed at all (evidenced by the one in my garage). The author of this article doesn't know that they should be referring to 2021.
outside of US, we consider model year the actual year of production

your 2020 is rest of world's 2019

this is the car my dealer is referring to

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...acelift-spied/

Old 05-29-2019, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Euro 6.2 is mainly about the evil CO2 (you know, wot causes "climate change")
actually lol'd reading that - gotta be an aussie living through recent election to understand the hilarity of recognising the very real climate change cult

Old 05-30-2019, 10:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't visited the forum in a while. Is it true that the manual transmission has been discontinued in the US?

Old 05-30-2019, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by spindoc
Haven't visited the forum in a while. Is it true that the manual transmission has been discontinued in the US?
Yep, true.
And it now seems that it is about to be discontinued everywhere else as well.

Quick Reply: Big Changes Are Coming For The Jaguar F-Type