F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackstone oil test results

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 08:56 PM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Blackstone oil test results

About two weeks I had the oil changed at the dealer for my first time. The non-jaguar dealership I purchased the car from back in May said, and reported to Car Fax that they changed the oil prior to sale with 17k mikes on the odometer. I was unsure what oil they used so as a precaution and piece of mind I changed the oil within the first 1k miles of my ownership. I decided to send that oil out for testing and here is the results. Other then the comment section I have no idea what I’m looking for. Anyone care to chime in?

Last edited by Tp10XKR; 09-30-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

About the only thing that report tells me is the dealership which sold you the car didn't use the specified Castrol Unobtainium brew which is low in molybdenum and high in titanium, they used something else.
Dozens of threads and mucho debate about this (does it really have to be Unobtainium?) but IMHO it doesn't have to be as long as it meets the JLR spec, I for one have never used it and never had an engine problem yet.

Edit - forgot to add - the high silicone could be from using some silicone sealant on the sump plug, fairly common practice and you need to be extra careful not to get any on the end or threads of the plug.

Last edited by OzXFR; 09-30-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
About the only thing that report tells me is the dealership which sold you the car didn't use the specified Castrol Unobtainium brew which is low in molybdenum and high in titanium, they used something else.
Dozens of threads and mucho debate about this (does it really have to be Unobtainium?) but IMHO it doesn't have to be as long as it meets the JLR spec, I for one have never used it and never had an engine problem yet.
Thank you sir, next year after the next oil change I will again sent in a sample for testing. It will be interesting to see the difference between what ever oil they used in May as to JLR spec oil just put in my car.

edit: I’m curious if the silicone reading is due to the dealer extracting the oil sample from the filter housing vs the bottom of the pan. They said their system is set up to extract the oil into a large holding tank with all the other vehicle oil they change so unable to just collect my cars oil. The mechanic pulled the 8 ounces from the filter

Last edited by Tp10XKR; 09-30-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:29 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

There’s another thread on here, where other folks posted Blackstone results and discussed them - you might find it useful, if you can find it.

The following users liked this post:
Tp10XKR (09-30-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Edit - forgot to add - the high silicone could be from using some silicone sealant on the sump plug, fairly common practice and you need to be extra careful not to get any on the end or threads of the plug.
The JLR spec calls for high titanium, so whatever was previously used was not a JLR compliant oil. No matter, a couple thousand miles with inadequate titanium is a non-issue.

However, the silicone issue needs to be tracked down. The air filters and intake tubing need to be inspected for leaks.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-01-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:09 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Unhingd hit it on the head, good test results overall. The silicone could be from some work that was done, or the pan bolt, or anyplace that uses sealant exposed to the oil...not a worry item IMO BUT, id drive it a few thousand pull a sample and resend it for a piece of mind if you don't see any obvious causes, and also put the Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w-20 or 0w-20 or the new LIQUI MOLY JLR spec (what i have been running) in it.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Potassium, Phosphorus, Calcium, Sodium, Zinc, Magnesium.
Sounds like Centrum Silver chased down with Pepto Bismol.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Itismejoshy (10-01-2019), Tp10XKR (10-02-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The JLR spec calls for high titanium, so whatever was previously used was not a JLR compliant oil. No matter, a couple thousand miles with inadequate titanium is a non-issue.

However, the silicone issue needs to be tracked down. The air filters and intake tubing need to be inspected for leaks.
I'm a bit confuzzled by this.
I have replaced the air filters on my F-Type and I didn't see any hint of silicone anywhere. Rubber, plastic, paper (air filter elements) yes but no silicone.
I have read on some other thread around here, pretty sure it was in the XF section and was about an XF SC or XFR, of a FM who found the air filters had been "glued in" to the air boxes with some sort of adhesive/sealant which could possibly have been silicone sealant. I reckon that was extremely non-standard as I replaced the air filters on my old XFR twice and once on the F-Type and in all cases no hint of any adhesive, the filters just lifted/dropped straight out of the air boxes.
Or are you suggesting Lance that the orange rubbery surrounds of the OEM air filters are silicone or silicone/rubber and not just rubber, and maybe some pieces or even chunks have broken off and ended up in the combustion chambers and from there into the oil?

Old 10-01-2019, 09:29 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
The silicone could be from some work that was done...
Right, check your implants too.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

The silicone doesn't come from the hoses/pipework or from sealant, it's from a leak in the intake system allowing unfiltered air into the engine which then contaminates the oil. The silicon is in the air (dust). At least I think that is what Blackstone is saying.

Last edited by TXFireblade; 10-01-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:12 AM

What if the silicone came from the dirty hands of the mechanic extracting the oil from my car? and as noted he told me he pulled the sample from the oil filter housing and not the pan...or the dealership who did the “free” oil change before selling me the car who knows what oil they even used in it. Blackstone’s report doesn’t tell me the type or grade of oil I submitted.

I’m going to check my intake ducts but I’m not very concerned at this time, and next summer when the oil is changed again, I will Compare the two for contamination. Jaguar put in Castrol Edge Professional spec 5W-20.

PS. My other half has had “work done” but they don’t use silicone anymore.....saline boys. Lmao

Last edited by Tp10XKR; 10-02-2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR
What if the silicone came from the dirty hands of the mechanic extracting the oil from my car? and as noted he told me he pulled the sample from the oil filter housing and not the pan...or the dealership who did the “free” oil change before selling me the car who knows what oil they even used in it. Blackstone’s report doesn’t tell me the type or grade of oil I submitted.

I’m going to check my intake ducts but I’m not very concerned at this time, and next summer when the oil is changed again, I will Compare the two for contamination. Jaguar put in Castrol Edge Professional spec 5W-20.

PS. My other half has had “work done” but they don’t use silicone anymore.....saline boys. Lmao
I have stupidly been mixing up silicone with silicon, and it's silicon (silica or silicon dioxide eg sand or dust or dirt) that the Blackstone report is talking about, so yes it seems some "dirt" got into the oil somehow.
Maybe from the oil filter housing or the filter itself but it's hard to see how they got 8 oz that way as the filter is damn near empty when you remove it, I reckon they must have got it some other way. There is some residual oil left in the canister housing (the bit the canister screws into) after you remove the canister but still nowhere near 8 oz.
The plot thickens!

Edit - also see this page: https://www.machinerylubrication.com...con-engine-oil

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-02-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:41 AM

Great article, thanks for posting !

Old 10-02-2019, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I have stupidly been mixing up silicone with silicon, and it's silicon (silica or silicon dioxide eg sand or dust or dirt) that the Blackstone report is talking about, so yes it seems some "dirt" got into the oil somehow.
I figured you would catch on eventually.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-02-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts

This is as confusing as an ancestry test.

Silicon is a byproduct of the direct injection combustion cycle, the biggest one. But what does that mean?

"silicon and ammonium sulfate were the dominant emissions. Elements present in lubricating oil (zinc, calcium and phosphorus) were present in all samples at very variable amounts, probably depending on the consumption of lubricating oil."

Old 10-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

"it's hard to see how they got 8 oz that way as the filter is damn near empty when you remove it, I reckon they must have got it some other way. There is some residual oil left in the canister housing (the bit the canister screws into) after you remove the canister but still nowhere near 8 oz.
The plot thickens!"

This is just what I was thinking. When i removed the oil filter not a drop of oil came out from the housing. Hmmmm