F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken soft top - Trying to locate part

Old 08-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Broken soft top - Trying to locate part

I'm having an issue with the flap/cover on the driver side no longer automatically opening/closing. The top is still fully functional if you manually raise and lower this cover yourself. Upon inspection it appears that one of the plastic ends on a little connector bar has sheered off(not shocking). In a perfect world I'd like to just locate one of these connectors but I'm afraid it will only come as part of some assembly.

In case anyone is wondering the warranty expired on it about a month ago so I'm really trying to tackle this myself before forking over a bunch of money to the dealer. I've included some pictures below to show what I'm talking about. Any help/thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sheered off driver/left side. The bottom is cut off but there's only about another inch before it has the same connector end.

Normal passenger/right side. Here you can see the full length.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Looks like it is part & parcel of the vert roof lock assembly, part T2R1412, part #8 on this diagram: https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...omponents-scat
But you would think it would be possible to get the end plastic piece separately, and I would try a wrecking yard first.

The following users liked this post:
pbad (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Yeah spending 500 bucks for this little thing seems pretty crazy. I thought about trying to find it in a salvage yard but it seems there are about 10 FTypes total in my area and the chances of a yard having a wrecked one are pretty slim.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

What is the diameter of the tie rod, and the ball that broken piece snaps onto? I have a bunch of carb linkage parts that look just like that. won't be plastic, but solid old fashioned cadmium plated steel.
I suspect you could find what you need at NAPA parts if I don't have what you need.

The following users liked this post:
pbad (08-08-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the solution if your tie rod is 5mm: https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...t-m5-lh-thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I was thinking someplace like McMaster would have something suitable.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:29 PM

Thank you Unhinged for the offer, I appreciate it. My best measurement says it's about 6 mm. I was actually looking around in there and somehow the broken piece was laying on part of the top even after opening and closing a handful of times. I think I'm going to try fusing the pieces back together first and reinforcing it a little. I'd prefer something stronger than plastic as well but my guess is they went that way to make it malleable enough to just press on the *****. So I'll start with that and see how it goes for now before exploring other avenues. Appreciate all the replies.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

In the even that you need a new part, a metal equivalent has a piece of spring steel in it that clamps to the ball. But it wouldn't surprise me if McMasters sells plastic as well.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pbad
Thank you Unhinged for the offer, I appreciate it. My best measurement says it's about 6 mm. I was actually looking around in there and somehow the broken piece was laying on part of the top even after opening and closing a handful of times. I think I'm going to try fusing the pieces back together first and reinforcing it a little. I'd prefer something stronger than plastic as well but my guess is they went that way to make it malleable enough to just press on the *****. So I'll start with that and see how it goes for now before exploring other avenues. Appreciate all the replies.
Confirm that the top end of the shaft is a right hand thread. If so, this is your solution:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...02.4.48.Lxmevc

You can paint that piece with primer and flat back to match.