F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Ceramic Matrix Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon Ceramic Matrix Question

I currently drive a 2016 XFS and about to pull the trigger on a 2015 used F-TYPE R as a weekend toy. One of several I'm looking at has the Carbon Ceramic Matrix braking system. I've heard reports that these squeak during stop & go traffic which is contrary to my belief that ceramic pads are dustless & quiet. Can any of you with this option comment on the noise or the lack of noise with this set up?

Old 01-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

No personal experience with the noise, but I heard many people complain about the Carbon Ceramics. Wear. Warping. Cost. Etc...
I'd stay away.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Yes they are noisy. Ceramic pads produce less dust and are quiet on steel rotors, yes; however the ceramic brakes on the F-type is in reference to the rotors and not the pads. Carbon ceramic brake rotors are noisy and honestly not very good on the street. They are for racing/track purposes mainly and don't perform as well as a steel rotor system for every day driving.

If you're not planning to track the car regularly and don't care about how your brake rotors look, there really is no reason to get a car with the carbon ceramic kit. It's a very expensive "upgrade".

Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

hmmmm, mine don't squeak at all, nor any other issues to mention. I'm 100% happy I have them and getting them on a used R you'll be getting them at a discount.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:34 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

No noises at all with ceramics on the jag

Nothing but positives here, especially in terms of maintenance given zero brake dust

The only noisy ceramics I've had was on first gen cars like my turbo s 996 a decade ago, and even then the noise was random with the bigger issue being pedal modulation/bite

They have now engineered all those early issues out

Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 AM

The Ftype R & SVR should have come standard with the big moulded Brembo-style brake calipers minus the ceramic disks like most performance cars in this price bracket. Except for thier size, the standard calipers look like they belong in a Toyota 86.

The CCBs look great.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Thank you for providing first-hand experience, guys! All I got before was mere hearsay. Glad those brakes are working out for you. I'd still stick with the steel ones for the street.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I have them as well, and they do squeak here and there and that's just a characteristic of carbon ceramics. For example if you are hard on them and heat them up then they'll squeak a bit under low speed light brake application...

Old 01-23-2017, 07:03 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like from those who have them the squeaking and any wear or warping is a non issue. I can put up with a squeak from time to time, just didn't want to be the center of attraction in stop & go traffic.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

it's hit and miss for me with CCB. When I used to drive the car daily, at slow speeds I'd hear the squeaking regularly... even after JLR replaced the brake pads. Now that I only drive the car on the weekends, I rarely hear any squeaking.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the CCBs on my R. Yes, they will squeak from time to time, more so when they are cold. They do work marvelously, there is no break dust, and they are supposed to last longer than typical brake sets.

With that being said.....I curiously asked my dealership to price out replacements for when that day comes. For pads and rotors, the cost came to $5k PER WHEEL!!! The key to having these is to replace the pads before they reach past a 50% life left. Past that point, there is too much heat transfer, and you will need to replace the rotors too. The pads by themselves should cost $4-5k for the entire car. The other option is to get rid of the car before replacement time rolls around....

That all being said, I would not bother with them next time around. The original cost of $12k and the potential replacement costs don't provide enough value in less brake dust and longevity.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I just checked on Rockauto, and they show pads for the CC brakes at just under $229US for all four corners. Albeit Centric PosiQuiet metallic which by my experience are not the best pads around, but who knows how they compare with other options for the CC brakes.
See here: 2016 JAGUAR F-TYPE 5.0L V8 Supercharged Brake Pad | RockAuto

Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Surely the Brembo calipers on the CC cars will have a standard size Brembo pad and can be found through other channels than the dealer parts network.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

The brake pads are gi-normous like none i have seen before.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1MadCat
I have the CCBs on my R. Yes, they will squeak from time to time, more so when they are cold. They do work marvelously, there is no break dust, and they are supposed to last longer than typical brake sets.

With that being said.....I curiously asked my dealership to price out replacements for when that day comes. For pads and rotors, the cost came to $5k PER WHEEL!!! The key to having these is to replace the pads before they reach past a 50% life left. Past that point, there is too much heat transfer, and you will need to replace the rotors too. The pads by themselves should cost $4-5k for the entire car. The other option is to get rid of the car before replacement time rolls around....

That all being said, I would not bother with them next time around. The original cost of $12k and the potential replacement costs don't provide enough value in less brake dust and longevity.
Hi all, I just got a ftype svr with CCB. Can you do me a favour please ? Can you feel if your front discs feel different to the rear when running your finger over it?

the rears are very smooth, the fronts are textured, not sure if this is normal?

im getting noise from the front like a low pitched vibration like the pad is rubbing on a textured disc and I can feel it through the pedal.