Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL came on today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts
Default CEL came on today.

Took the car for a drive this morning, and after a while the CEL came on (constant yellow light - no flashing). No performance issues, and it ran just like normal. No power restrictions and everything seemed to work as usuall.

When parking the car after the trip, it felt a little "rough" on idle. Not the whole time, but for a short while when stopping for some reversing before entering the garage. It did not last long.

I have allready booked time for service and a MOT in October.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Took the car for a drive this morning, and after a while the CEL came on (constant yellow light - no flashing). No performance issues, and it ran just like normal. No power restrictions and everything seemed to work as usuall.

When parking the car after the trip, it felt a little "rough" on idle. Not the whole time, but for a short while when stopping for some reversing before entering the garage. It did not last long.
I have allready booked time for service and a MOT in October.

Any suggestions?
We need the code to be able to help you. Here in the US, we can go down to most large car parts stores and they will read the code for free. They might not do that for you in Norway. You could also buy a code readers fairly cheap as well.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
We need the code to be able to help you. Here in the US, we can go down to most large car parts stores and they will read the code for free. They might not do that for you in Norway. You could also buy a code readers fairly cheap as well.
Thanks for the advice Unhingd. I do have the dealer close by (less than a mile). They have been very service minded, and I have a good relation with one of the technician there, so the best is probabely to visit them a little prior to the anual service I have booked (which is three weeks from now).

Would be good to know if it is ok to use the car until then, or not...

Old 09-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

There are some CEL that go away after a few ignition cycles of their own accord (tune flash!) or might be reset and never come back. I would get the codes read asap but unless you hear or see something else untoward, you are probably safe to continue to drive.

As Mr Unhingd said, possibly worth investing in a code reader, so much the better if you can get a more specific LR/Jaguar one. I was trained from an early age to have one in the glove box of my LR3 so it's kind of natural to carry one for the F-Type (GAP Diagnostic IID).

Old 10-08-2018, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

An update on this "issue".

When my dealer did the readout of fault codes, the CEL was caused by "Slow respons from the lambda sensor". The strange thing was that it did not give any additional information (date for when it happened, if it had reoccured etc). After it was cleared it has not reappeared (only done a few starts and stops with short trips in between, but long enough to reach operating temperatures).

I had been driving for a while in a slow moving trafic close to idle rpm when it first happened, and the only theory the dealer had was that it might have sooted the sensor a bit, setting the code - and the clearing of this code can only be done manually by an OBD-rreader. Must remember to "let it loose" on each trip, no matter how booring the trafic might be sometimes No need for further actions.

The very first MOT (4 years old) was passed with honor In not too long, it will go into winter hibernation fully serviced with new oil and gas.....

Old 10-08-2018, 07:49 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Must remember to "let it loose" on each trip ...
You need to be reminded?

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
You need to be reminded?
When in heavy traffic - yes