XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Finally picked one up! -CEL came on

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Finally picked one up! -CEL came on

Hi everyone!
I finally picked up an x300, specifically a 95 VDP. I'm glad to say everything power works and I have had the time of my life driving it so far. However when I picked it up the gas light was on, and on my way driving to the station I went hard around a corner and may have gotten air in the system because it was so low (that's what my mechanic thinks happened ); I apparently had a misfire on cyl 6, although I never felt it or heard it. Interesting to note that i didnt notice the light until a few minuted after fuelling up. It pulled up the code for the misfire and also another code I believe was p1390 or "misfire detection disabled"? Though I will check again.

I cleared the code and drove about another 80 km before it triggered again, but I didn't feel a damn thing and this baby idles at only the most comfortable purr. So what's going on? Surely I would feel or hear a misfire, right? Is the light glitching? Is the sensor or aice chip broken and if so is that dangerous?

Thanks to anyone who can shine some light on this.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

So you're having fun cruising in the new Jag! Congrats.

Misfires can happen for lots of different reasons. You might need more time to get a better idea of whats happening. If a problem is developing, the symptoms will probably continue to get worse and give more clues. Or, it may have been a problem as you described, that doesn't come back!

By now maybe you've read this...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0-coils-93966/

Take some time to scan that thread. Misfiring due to bad coils can be a sore point with this vehicle. The bottom line is, don't go and replace coils with cheap (or not so cheap) aftermarket coils of any kind. Many mechanics have taken owners down that dirty, bumpy road. It is essentially proven here, that aftermarket coils are not of the proper quality and WILL FAIL only a few months from new. Replacement coils should be used originals or new Japanese Diamond Co. original spec coils. We know where to get them, IF you ever need them.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
So you're having fun cruising in the new Jag! Congrats.

Misfires can happen for lots of different reasons. You might need more time to get a better idea of whats happening. If a problem is developing, the symptoms will probably continue to get worse and give more clues. Or, it may have been a problem as you described, that doesn't come back!

By now maybe you've read this...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0-coils-93966/

Take some time to scan that thread. Misfiring due to bad coils can be a sore point with this vehicle. The bottom line is, don't go and replace coils with cheap (or not so cheap) aftermarket coils of any kind. Many mechanics have taken owners down that dirty, bumpy road. It is essentially proven here, that aftermarket coils are not of the proper quality and WILL FAIL only a few months from new. Replacement coils should be used originals or new Japanese Diamond Co. original spec coils. We know where to get them, IF you ever need them.
Thank you SleekJag12- for your warm welcome and congratulations. I saw you in my other thread as well!

I don't know if a misfire would be super apparent, but I haven't felt or heard anything from the engine whatsoever. Would I even, considering how quiet the cabin is? it could be a faulty sensor.

The code I pulled up was for the 6th cylinder, so maybe that coil is faulty. It wasn't doing it for a week and then it started all of a sudden.

I'll try to keep this thread updated. I am still in disbelief how awesome this car truly is... I will take great care of it and I want to know it inside and out.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:06 PM

Still haven't noticed a single problem with the engine, idling or under load. I am convinced that either the light was thrown by mistake or I simply can't feel it due to the jaguar's awesomeness.

The tires are a different story, and I hope I can find some good replacements and get them balanced (shaking steering at 70-80 km/h, veering at higher speeds). I will update this thread again when I check the codes once more.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:48 AM

Okay, so a rather important update.

Apparently, the two codes are actually for the Oxygen sensor 2 (needs replacement) and catalytic converter "not operating at capacity"; Can I just replace the O2 sensor and be on my way?

Just wondering if this is the right part: Replacement ARBJ960908 Oxygen Sensor | Auto Parts Warehouse

There are other variations for sale with 1, 2, and 3 wires? I'm a little confused. I want to buy this quickly as it's half price, but not if it's the wrong part. Thanks everyone!