Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Buy a buffer, this car demands it.
Your buffer absolutely cannot be used on this car- for too many reasons to mention. And microfiber is totally forbidden. Its super aggressive and will burn through paint.
Only foam at your level.
This is a very good price for this polisher.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-21-2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Buy a buffer, this car demands it.
Your buffer absolutely cannot be used on this car- for too many reasons to mention. And microfiber is totally forbidden. Its super aggressive and will burn through paint.
Only foam at your level.
This is a very good price for this polisher.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-MT300-Action-Variable-Polisher/dp/B00OTK5JHG/ref=pd_cp_263_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=8046 0301815383741&pf_rd_r=X20FMZJV6N48WMQY4WNF&pd_rd_w g=gpUWw&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=ASUIH&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=ce741c33-751c-11e8-9fde-21d9fe277780&pd_rd_i=B00OTK5JHG&psc=1&refRID=X20FM ZJV6N48WMQY4WNF
Burn through with a random orbital buffer? I've never heard of anyone burning through paint with one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-RB102G-Corded-Orbital-Buffer/dp/B079QBF3RV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529590721&sr=8-3&keywords=ryobi+orbital+buffer https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-RB102G-Corded-Orbital-Buffer/dp/B079QBF3RV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529590721&sr=8-3&keywords=ryobi+orbital+buffer

Using these bonnets.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by rexus31; 06-21-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Thought I'd add my two cents for what it's worth.
First off, I owned my slate gray 2004 XJ8 for nearly ten years and it looked almost as good the day it transferred to my DIL as the day I took delivery. The attached photo is from February 2011.
The 2013 stratus gray metallic XF I foolishly paid for dealer applied paint sealant. Since I only kept it 18 months I can't really be sure it was a total waste of money, but that's my guess.
The only thing I ever applied to my 2015 Grigio metallic Ghibli was Griot's Best of Show, and that car also looked as good the day I traded for my F-Type as the day it rolled off the lot.

Now, for this 2018 Fuji white F-Type:
Because the manufacture date was August 2017 I first clayed the entire care using Griot's Speed Shine. I then applied Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 21, and I can attest to the fact that after curing for 24 hours the finish was noticeably smoother/slicker. After letting the sealant cure for two weeks I waxed everything with Griot's Best of Show, except for one half of the bonnet, which I did with a competitor's product just as an experiment.

I have never patronized car washes of any kind and don't even let the dealer hand wash as they will do as a courtesy any time it is in for service or warranty work. I wash by hand using Griot's Brilliant Finish, then pull the car in my garage and dry it there.

This is just my method and time will tell if it is a good one--that is if I keep the car long enough.

The following 2 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
Queen and Country (06-21-2018), rexus31 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rexus31
Burn through with a random orbital buffer? I've never heard of anyone burning through paint with one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-RB102G-...orbital+buffer

Using these bonnets.

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Care-Pol...2Bbonnets&th=1
Those buffers were made for apply caranuba wax to Lincoln Town cars and hardwood floors.
Microfiber has the highest cutting power second to denim.
In the last stage (polishing) -which is what you are doing- requires a jeweling pad, which is several steps softer than MF.
They way those burn paint on a curvaceous car is they are difficult to control and walk. Or apply uneven sanding.
You wont see paint being removed on a clearcoat car with soft clearcoat, as the Jaguar is. It varies from year to year and model. On my car its buttersoft, intentionally to avoid chipping paint from road debris and bumps.
The 7 and 5 series BMW has a ceramic clearcoat and insanely hard.
Even a experienced pro who knows that will not be able to get good results with Suzy homemaker tools.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Fujicoupe.
A friend of mine gave me a surprise birthday present, a mobile car wash that came to my office.
Walked out to my immaculate SUV and it looked like someone had used a souring pad to wash it.
The second time I had a similar experience was with my first oil change at the Jaguar dealer.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-21-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Fujicoupe.
A friend of mine gave me a surprise birthday present, a mobile car wash that came to my office.
Walked out to my immaculate SUV and it looked like someone had used a souring pad to wash it.
The second time I had a similar experience was with my first oil change at the Jaguar dealer.
This reminded me of the time my wife was kind enough to wash my Chevy Nova while I was at work. Unfortunately she used a steel wool pad to remove the little specks of tar from the finish. It took me hours to compound and polish the results. LOL We are no longer together.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I usually get my supplies, including equipment, from autogeek.net. They have a section dedicated to tutorials and information. The videos are pretty concise, so you can go through them as desired without having to block off a chunk of time.

https://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Old 06-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

Guys, I know nothing about glass/ceramic coatiings. Just had it done on my LR3 last year, and it cleans easily and looks great.. Its light green/silver so its impossible to see scratches in daylight as it turns out.

Now my new FT [ april 9th ], was treated [ polished/cleaned/corrected] first on april13th, since washed 2x by hand by them and washed 4x 'touchless' by me in their was booths...

Now I see swirll marks in the paint, all over the car. Its Ultra Blue, they say that makes any mark highly visible... .. and the coating does not protect from scratches only enhances the color and makes it easier to clean..
Also : my paint would be to soft...

As they say even sand blown by the wind on the car [ well : sandblasting would..] , would give marks on the car.. If it does not protect : why bother putting it on ???

Now as the car is new, I could imagine the paint is soft. But would the 'ceramic coating' not protect that paint ? What do the swirll point out : sloppy washing ???

Its not easy to see with the eye, so even more difficult in a picture. See below the reflection of the sun. Is this from washing ?

Old 06-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Dan_NL,
Take a strong led flashlight and shine on the car in the shade or in the dark and post that picture. Hold the flashlight to an angle to the camera.

If you see that the swirl marks have some uniformity- then they are from bad/typical polishing.

Ceramic does not really provide any protection from scratching. It does provide protection from acid, and makes it much easier to dry. However, in one way it may provide some protection from swirls, by becoming the sacrificial layer.
Something to realize is that there are no real professionals in the ceramic coating industry. Not a single one of these coatings is made by any company that has reputable testing lab.I said this earlier and repeat. And not one industrial installer.
So if we compare wax/polish, we find company 3M has conducted extensive testing and Jaguar or Mercedes Benz uses it on cars coming of the production line.
With that out of the way..

The scratching can be coming from washing- and most likely drying. Because there is no lubrication in the drying process and the dirt is still there. Especially!! if you did it touchless.

Note polishing removes ceramic coating completely and easily- to remove clearcoat with polish is harder, best proof ceramic is no match against scratches.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

@Q&C.
Don't see nothing... .. the blue metallic sparkles in the LED and I can not see swirlls withe the naked eye, so impossible with a camera I'm afraid...
In the sun at a glancing angel I can see parallel semi-circular superficial scratches, like from superficial polishing briefly, leaving marks..

The car has only been washed by the guys who applied the coating. First time they dried it with compressed air as they were afraid to scratch it !
Second time I told them to leave it : went fast around the roundabout and centrifuged the car dry ; no joke !

I was terribly dizzy after 20 rounds, to bad I couldn't go two rounds the other way...
How can touchless drying make scratchess : you don't touch..

Old 06-28-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

ceramic coatings are susceptible to swirls, at least equally to Jaguar's clear coat in my experience.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
How can touchless drying make scratchess : you don't touch..
In USA many of the touchless carwash have humans who finish drying what the forced air could not finish.

A leafblower works really well if you have ceramic coating.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

In USA many of the touchless carwash have humans who finish drying what the forced air could not finish..
Hmm.. ..in the Netherlands the minimum wages are such you can actually live on it, in stead of just not starve, making it more expensive to wash your car...
And I dry my car by driving is to let the water evaporate..

Old 06-28-2018, 07:37 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I DIY now, but back when I was going to the touchless car washes with my black car, I did not let them touch the car after the machine got done with it. That's just begging for swirls imo.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-29-2018)