F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compared to Aston Martin V12 Vanquish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compared to Aston Martin V12 Vanquish?

Anyone here have any insight and have owned and driven both? I have a 2003 Aston Vanquish that I really love and is one of my all time favorite designs. It has been in the family for 15 years and I have had it almost 4. This is the longest I have owned a "toy" from Porsches, vintage Ferraris, NSX, Pantera etc.... I want to try something different and am narrowing down my 2015 R choices. I would want the RWD since it is just a fair weather toy. I know the Jaguar is better on paper, but it is 12 years newer. I just don't want to make a mistake. I was originally looking at the Maserati Granturismo MC but after researching, I figured I may be disappointed and during my search, I saw some F-types that I had never before considered. I like the idea that the Jag is a sports car that can behave like a GT and I don't need the 2 rear seats now. Also. if anyone has a 2015 R Coupe that they are thinking about switching, let me know. I don't want a black car. Also, maybe a possible trade if your car is worth @$50k. Can save on taxes with a trade.
Thanks

Old 02-22-2021, 06:34 PM
Received 205 Likes on 121 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking the Maserati off your shopping list.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

I came real close to picking up an M/C. Amazing sounding car, but fell short in almost every other aspect.

Where the Maserati shined:
Sound
Rear Seat Room
Maserati logo

Where it fell flat:
Performance
Handling
Technology (no backup camera, no proximity key, antiquated infotainment that made the F-Types look cutting edge).

The Jag will never be an Aston Martin. My neighbor has one and it truly is a work of art. It's the little touches. In terms of refinement, the Jag is about 95% there, but that extra 5% is really something. In terms of performance, though, the F-Type is raw, pure, knock your socks off power. It feels like a trip to the past, when things were simpler and yet has modern refinements that help tremendously. It's really hard to describe.

I picked my F-Type over a 2008 V8 Vantage 6 speed manual. My F-Type cost more and really delivered for the money. If I were you, though, I'd have a hard time parting with the Vanquish.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I came real close to picking up an M/C. Amazing sounding car, but fell short in almost every other aspect.

Where the Maserati shined:
Sound
Rear Seat Room
Maserati logo

Where it fell flat:
Performance
Handling
Technology (no backup camera, no proximity key, antiquated infotainment that made the F-Types look cutting edge).

The Jag will never be an Aston Martin. My neighbor has one and it truly is a work of art. It's the little touches. In terms of refinement, the Jag is about 95% there, but that extra 5% is really something. In terms of performance, though, the F-Type is raw, pure, knock your socks off power. It feels like a trip to the past, when things were simpler and yet has modern refinements that help tremendously. It's really hard to describe.

I picked my F-Type over a 2008 V8 Vantage 6 speed manual. My F-Type cost more and really delivered for the money. If I were you, though, I'd have a hard time parting with the Vanquish.
that is my problem. I know the Vanq is a special car. Mine is more so because it is a color that only 4 were built out of 2500 and it has been in my family for years. But I love trying new cars and I don't have the space or $ to collect. The Jag seems like something I can enjoy.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:47 PM
Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Never driven an Aston, but I was shopping for the same purpose and was between the MC Stradale and the F-Type (awd) - agree with the previous posts, the Maserati lacked even basic tech, felt too big, and service and reliability were a question. The irony of choosing a jag for superior reliability is not lost on me, although the f-type is on an established platform and by all measures, not a maintenance or service nightmare (mine has been amazing). The MC also has a great exhaust note and there is no more fierce front grill and logo on the planet - at least up to 2019. The f-type was an easy choice, I didn’t need extra seats, just a place to carry two people and a pizza and since I like my food hot, the upper dollar ratio is outstanding.

mecheng1 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 05:16 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
The Jag will never be an Aston Martin. My neighbor has one and it truly is a work of art. It's the little touches. In terms of refinement, the Jag is about 95% there, but that extra 5% is really something.
That extra 5% will cost you an extra 50%!

The following 3 users liked this post by scm:
2ndeagle (02-25-2021), eeeeek (02-26-2021), Mbourne (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 07:20 AM
Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

I purchased a 2014 AM DB9 last year. 2 owner only 16,000 miles. After about 30 days of owning this vehicle I was less impressed on the way it drove. The inside comfort became less pleasurable the more I drove it. Now the outside factor was well over 100%. After considering cost, maintenance, comfort, and everything else, I sold it at a loss. But I then, in turn test drove my 2016 Jag-R. It hit all the right spots for me and really prefer this car to the Aston. Glad I made the right decision.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:06 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You may want to explore a late model Jaguar XKR or XKRS.
Great styling and power. Definitely a GT and not a roadster like the F-type.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:19 PM

Going more sports car this time. Really don't need the back seats anymore.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I need AWD which took the Aston off my shopping list.
On the plus side it is more rare and special than a Jaguar and cheaper to buy.

I considered 911, R8 and for about 1/4 of a second a M/C.

If reliability is a concern (and it is for me) the M/C bit it straight away.

911s are great (I have a classic in the garage) but just a little common compared to the others on my list. Also would be 10 yrs older than a Jag for the same $$$.

I put a deposit down on an R8 manual, but my mother in law who was staying with us passed away and I couldn’t close the deal in time. Fortunately I was saved as some of the known issues are very spendy (air con breaks down? Engine out fix).

I put the Jag down as an Aston want-to-be and I still think it is, but once inside and pressing the loud pedal, it’s a pretty fun and special place to be. It also makes a lot of sense (for me) as it should be reliable, covered by a warranty and goes well enough for a gas powered engine... and the noise... OMG the noise the car makes adds to the feeling of speed!

I’m pleased with my direction so far.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

grey 2015 RWD type R. 41000 miles. what did you have in mind?

Old 02-24-2021, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Meredithbuilder
Going more sports car this time. Really don't need the back seats anymore.
Yeah I went from the XKR to the F Type. Completely different experience. The F Type (even in the 6 pre mod) is quicker than the XKR which cant get the power down, and much more controllable. The XKR is very similar to a db9. Lovely as a GT, but not a car I could (as an average driver) get much out of on a track or on the street for that matter. I can get plenty more out of an F Type.

The F Type rides firmer and steers a little better (XKR has excellent steering) but the biggest improvement is in the transmission which is much sharper and getting the power down. Also the tech in the post '15 models is better although even the pre '16 models will have better tech than the antique tech in your otherwise gorgeous Vanquish.

Personally I think the f Type will be a far better car but the Vanquish would be a far more special one. For me I couldnt live with Aston tech, but if I could I'd be tempted to stick with what you have.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:56 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Yeah I went from the XKR to the F Type. Completely different experience. The F Type (even in the 6 pre mod) is quicker than the XKR which cant get the power down, and much more controllable. The XKR is very similar to a db9. Lovely as a GT, but not a car I could (as an average driver) get much out of on a track or on the street for that matter. I can get plenty more out of an F Type.

The F Type rides firmer and steers a little better (XKR has excellent steering) but the biggest improvement is in the transmission which is much sharper and getting the power down. Also the tech in the post '15 models is better although even the pre '16 models will have better tech than the antique tech in your otherwise gorgeous Vanquish.

Personally I think the f Type will be a far better car but the Vanquish would be a far more special one. For me I couldnt live with Aston tech, but if I could I'd be tempted to stick with what you have.
Exactly my experience - we could be twins!

BruceTheQuail (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ivgi
grey 2015 RWD type R. 41000 miles. what did you have in mind?
Are you selling? Didn't you just get the car ?

Old 02-24-2021, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail

For me, the infotainment means little. I have a little $10 device that plugs into a lighter and allows bluetooth from my phone for music or Sirius. If it was a daily driver, then it would be another story. There is an emotional attachment to the car, but I have the itch to try something else after almost 4 years.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:54 AM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Sadly I am not of much help but wanted to chime in. I had Porsche before the F Type R and although I miss my Porsche I am really falling in love with the F Type. I am finding it more and more beautiful and oddly "rare" in terms of others on the road. I live in Phoenix area and we see so many high end cars around but really don't see many at all F Types. The exhaust note itself is just breath taking. If I were you it would be difficult to part with the current car since it has been part of the family for so many years and you stated it was relatively rare. If you don't have the $$ to have both I don't think you would be disappointed in the F Type but feel you may take a bigger hit $$ making the switch.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meredithbuilder
For me, the infotainment means little. I have a little $10 device that plugs into a lighter and allows bluetooth from my phone for music or Sirius. If it was a daily driver, then it would be another story. There is an emotional attachment to the car, but I have the itch to try something else after almost 4 years.
@Merdithbuilder
You should most definitely get an F-type and sell me the Vanquish...no question.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 279 Posts

I have one , 2016 car . coming from owning an xkr 5l for 5 years . Test drove the ftype R 5l awd . The Aston is miles better in looks , performance and sound and quality of cabin . Simply miles ahead of the poorly sister ftype

Old 02-25-2021, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,155 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Well, the Aston and the F-Type are not in competition, so this is a comparison between an orange and a banana. With regard to price the Aston is enormously more expensive than the F-Type both to buy and to maintain. And with regard to appearance, that is a personal view but in its class the F-Type is far more beautiful than any competing car - and the performance? Well Astons never seem to vanquish Jaguars in a proper performance competition.
A much fairer comparison might be between the supercharged XKR and the Aston...and even then, wouldn't you think that the Aston at twice the price should be much, much better in terms of performance and appearance and function? And it isn't anywhere near that. A beautiful car, though, no question. ....but then so is the XKR.

scm (02-26-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Well, the Aston and the F-Type are not in competition, so this is a comparison between an orange and a banana. With regard to price the Aston is enormously more expensive than the F-Type both to buy and to maintain. And with regard to appearance, that is a personal view but in its class the F-Type is far more beautiful than any competing car - and the performance? Well Astons never seem to vanquish Jaguars in a proper performance competition.
A much fairer comparison might be between the supercharged XKR and the Aston...and even then, wouldn't you think that the Aston at twice the price should be much, much better in terms of performance and appearance and function? And it isn't anywhere near that. A beautiful car, though, no question. ....but then so is the XKR.
Have you ever heard of the word Quality ? Much like buying a box of chocolates. You get what you pay for in other words , skimp you get Cadbury. Then some one gives you a Swiss chocolate, you pay for quality. Jaguar have cut corners since the production of the xk-r ceased production a well know fact . Buy the Aston if you can

Quick Reply: Compared to Aston Martin V12 Vanquish?