Considering a coupe and looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Butt fugly

Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that wagon thing is horrendous, but I think a white 6 series coupe is a beautiful machine.

If you guys were in my position, wanting to spend around $45k but able to go up a bit more, what would you do (granted I don't know what the prices will look like by Feb 2018). Get a 2015 that will only give me one year left of warranty, then buy a third party warranty (through USAA in my case), or buy certified. Or pay extra up front for a 2016 with warranty good til 2021?

I have an easier chance finding the right priced 2015 V6 S, but I'm still crossing my fingers for a 2016 V6 S AWD (if I can find one for $52k next year I'll jump on it). Not sure if it's worth waiting a couple extra months for the prices to drop more and save up more of a down payment.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

What you are doing is asking to compare an apple to and orange (or a golden apple to a slightly over ripe orange). The F-Type is a personal car that has room for a friend to share the experience with. The Beemer is there to impress the neighborhood with the fact that you think you have finally 'arrived'.

The following users liked this post:
JagAlb (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
What you are doing is asking to compare an apple to and orange (or a golden apple to a slightly over ripe orange). The F-Type is a personal car that has room for a friend to share the experience with. The Beemer is there to impress the neighborhood with the fact that you think you have finally 'arrived'.
I think it's sort of the opposite in a way. There are 2 people in my building that have a 6 series, in fact, one just traded it in to get a Lexus LC-500. I think the F-Type is the car that makes the most statement, especially for a 34 year old, plus I haven't seen one in my city at all. I think I'm about 90% convinced on getting the Jag, its limitations will probably only impact me two weekends a year. If I can afford an AWD it should still be capable enough of a daily driver whenever the weather gets bad.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

OMG
This is what an amazing job BMW has done fooling the young.
If you are 34 why would you want a 60 year old on your arm, with significant medical bills, impending back surgery and at best 10 years of agility left. Do you realize how that makes you look?
Let me tell you, the only reason the 60 year old guy is driving a 6 series is because he can no longer get into a nibble roadster- and would gladly give up all the superficiality of impressing others if he could still have the fun he had at 34.

BTW, it's why BMW can get away with making such ugly 6 series 4 door. Because the 60 year old who has lost the will to live doesnt care anymore and the young delusional guy buying it thinks he will score notoriety points for understated opulence just on the badge alone.

This is not a question regarding BMW 2door Sedan vs FType sports car- your are at the most important crossroad of your life- its an IQ test.

You barely passed. Just get the Ftype you can afford TODAY. Sure you can buy bread for less money if you wait long enough- or date a supermodel if you wait till she is 80.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

^ LMAO. Too funny. Here's one 60++ year old still able to enjoy life and jump into or onto any vehicle made for adult consumption. (and a beemer bubble back, SUV or other kind of sedan wouldn't be one of them)

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Burt Gummer (08-12-2017), RickyJay52 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 12:47 PM

Considering a 6 series coupe is about the fact that I'm used to BMW interiors coming from a 3-series coupe, it's comfortable, truly looks great to me, 440hp V8 (slightly faster than a F-type V6 S), loaded with tech (compared to an M4 for example), and yes it is a status symbol that I think can be appreciated by people under the age of 30.

I've been wanting an E-Class coupe for years, then set my mind on a 650i, and only recently considered an F-Type because who doesn't love it, but always thought it was out of my price range.

Money wise, I want to keep my monthly payment at $500 because of my frugal mentality, hence saving up a little longer for a hefty down payment (plus have to pay off some old credit card debt first and there's still some life left in my current car). I can afford the payment of a brand new one if I really wanted, I just don't want the burden of a high payment in case there's any flux work wise.

Edit: Ok quick, someone please walk me off this ledge...I just looked at lease options for a new V6 S AWD, $28,404. I'd be able to get the car in a month and I have no problem staying under the mileage requirement, etc...but I understand all the negatives of leasing, but this seems like a pretty decent deal.

Last edited by intotheblue; 08-12-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
still able to enjoy life (and a beemer bubble back, SUV or other kind of sedan wouldn't be one of them)
Fortune favors the fabulous
Yet to find an exception to my rule.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

You have to take into consideration that interest rates have never been this low for a car.

So when they go back to normal next year- expect to pay significantly more.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 PM

So I went and test drove a V6 S with active exhaust. Of course they weren't going to offer me a lease rate anywhere close to what was stated on jaguarusa.com, so I'm in the same boat now, just waiting until I have a sizable down payment and buying a 2016 by March or so of next year. I won't feel comfortable until I can get a monthly payment to under $600.

While the V6 S is obviously a quick car, I wasn't honestly that impressed by the seat of the pants feel. There was a little throttle lag, I was driving in dynamic mode but didn't switch the gear shifter to sport. My 328i coupe with exhaust and ECU tune is a second slower to 0-60 than the V6 S, but I was hoping the S would push me back in my seat just a bit more. So that clearly rules out the V6 base, I just wouldn't be happy in that.

Last edited by intotheblue; 08-12-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by intotheblue
So I went and test drove a V6 S with active exhaust. Of course they weren't going to offer me a lease rate anywhere close to what was stated on jaguarusa.com, so I'm in the same boat now, just waiting until I have a sizable down payment and buying a 2016 by March or so of next year. I won't feel comfortable until I can get a monthly payment to under $600.

While the V6 S is obviously a quick car, I wasn't honestly that impressed by the seat of the pants feel. There was a little throttle lag, I was driving in dynamic mode but didn't switch the gear shifter to sport. My 328i coupe with exhaust and ECU tune is a second slower to 0-60 than the V6 S, but I was hoping the S would push me back in my seat just a bit more. So that clearly rules out the V6 base, I just wouldn't be happy in that.
Sounds a bit like you are suffering from a case of paralysis by over analysis...

TREAT YOURSELF! Spend a few more dollars and purchase an "R" Coupe... will put an ear to ear grin on your face every day you climb behind the wheel, and I promise you won't regret it for one second.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by IronMike
Sounds a bit like you are suffering from a case of paralysis by over analysis...

TREAT YOURSELF! Spend a few more dollars and purchase an "R" Coupe... will put an ear to ear grin on your face every day you climb behind the wheel, and I promise you won't regret it for one second.
Lol, only about $30k more than I really want to spend (since I know I'd ideally need to have a 2016 AWD). For the $80k range I'd much rather get a Mercedes S-Class coupe (I know that may not be a popular thing to say on here lol).

There is a part of me that's tempted to just get a car in the next month instead of waiting 7, which would probably mean a 2015 V6 base for around $45k, but I have a feeling I'd regret that.

Also, when looking at pictures of cars online, is there a telltale sign I can look for to distinguish between the stock Meridian sound system and the 770W one? Since not all sale listings accurately list the options. (nevermind, found out I can tell by looking for "surround" on the door speaker badging)

Last edited by intotheblue; 08-12-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The new 6 series "Grand Turismo" underscores how they have lost the plot or perhaps how gullible folks have become. Its one of the ugliest things I have seen in motoring for the money. Take the badge away and its a Taurus. And one has to ask to what end? was the 7 series that much different.
This is beautiful and well-proportioned car when compared to Bangle Butt 7.

Also, don't dis 6 series. Some of them are good looking.

Last edited by SinF; 08-12-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike

I certainly agree to the first point. While you should get exactly what you desire - and maybe can afford (although that never stopped me) - your comment about "clearly" the V6S not being suitable simply because you didn't get the "blown away by seat-in-the-pants acceleration" might miss the point when taking the car in total. There's far more to this car than straight line acceleration. I find my V6S - and I am not "sticking up" for the car at all (neither I nor my car need to) - more than suitable in almost every regard.

In my opinion, it's got it all. Of course your opinion might differ. Then again I refer back to point number one of IronMike's post.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I found that as well going from a 5.0XKR to the V6 S. but I think that the V6S feels slower because it is more controlled. In the real world, I think it is quicker than the XKR was to 100kph, it just doesnt feel like it because you arent crapping your pants every time you put your foot down.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If you buy the v6, a pulley and a tune may give you the added punch you're looking for.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
If you buy the v6, a pulley and a tune may give you the added punch you're looking for.
Would this void the warranty? Not sure exactly how much those would cost, I'm guessing $2-3k or so. I might as well get an S at that point so I can get the active dampers and the other benefits of the S.

In reality, I would honestly be just fine with a base V6 as long as it had the options I want, as I would be driving one of the nicest looking cars ever made, but for now I'm going to save up with an S in mind.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Would this void the warranty? Not sure exactly how much those would cost, I'm guessing $2-3k or so.
Correct. $1000 for the tune, $1100 for the pulley kit, $2-300 for pulley installation. Warranty coverage for any drivetrain component would be called into question. The upside is over a 100 horses more than the base.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Correct. $1000 for the tune, $1100 for the pulley kit, $2-300 for pulley installation. Warranty coverage for any drivetrain component would be called into question. The upside is over a 100 horses more than the base.
Thanks, I don't know why I never even thought of an ECU tune considering I have one on my current car. I looked up the VAP tune you have listed in your signature, that makes a V6 base quite attractive of an option if I happen to find a heck of a deal. I'll do some additional research, but in your opinion do you think an ECU tune is stealthy enough to risk warranty issues?

Edit: I think to play it safe I will definitely get a piggyback tune whether I go base or S. Anyone have any brands/products I can look up?

Last edited by intotheblue; 08-13-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I don't know why I never even thought of an ECU tune considering I have one on my current car. I looked up the VAP tune you have listed in your signature, that makes a V6 base quite attractive of an option if I happen to find a heck of a deal. I'll do some additional research, but in your opinion do you think an ECU tune is stealthy enough to risk warranty issues?

Edit: I think to play it safe I will definitely get a piggyback tune whether I go base or S. Anyone have any brands/products I can look up?
Though there might be a way to hide an ECU tune from the dealer, if there is catastrophic failure, Jag corporate will see you had a tune even if you revert back to the OEM tune. I strongly urge you to forget the piggy-back tune. In the offhand chance they effectively add power, they are not sufficiently sophisticated to offer adequate engine protection. Also with these devices, you will find the availability of real dyno results to be totally lacking. Claims will only be backed up by graphically produced charts. VAP and Eurotoys (not to be confused with Eurocharged) are the two tuners/vendors I would suggest you consider for tunes/pulleys.

The following users liked this post:
Eurotoys (08-14-2017)