F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Lemon?? Advice please

Old 03-18-2019, 09:53 AM
Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Had a loaner/rental, but STILL.
Tell me about it. I wanna drive my F Type, not an LR Discovery Sport (which I've grown to dislike immensely, by the way).

Ratio of (days f type in shop) : (days owning f type) is now sitting at 13:24 😭

Old 03-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Thanks for the comments Unhingd. It looks as though they addressed the first problem they saw and hoped that would do it.

Thanks rbsj for linking that thread. Read the whole thing. Gold mine. Took lots of screenshots.

Quick question: how long does it take to take a transmission apart? They've had it since last Thursday morning (March 14), and apparently they're still in the process of taking the components apart. Is this normal, or should I be getting irritated?
Others will have to weigh in if they have specific F Type experience, but I have pulled Triumph gear boxes, replaced the thrust washers (see Unhinged's comment) and put the gear box back into the car and had it on the road within 6 hours.

Unhinged, thanks for the heads up on the clumsy gate clearance and the short shifter. I have been on the fence about installing it due to the possibility the clutch/gear box goes and the potential for having a problem with the warranty. Now its a no brainer.

U102768, are you saying that my car has the first generation clutch based on my VIN 318XX, and a second generation gearbox?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I was repeatedly told by both dealer and independent transmission shop that there is no way to repair these transmissions as parts are not available. You could only replace them as a unit. It is unlikely they are taking transmission apart, so ask for clarification on what exactly they are doing, as it is likely something else entirely.

Replacing clutch and flywheel requires taking transmission down. The first time this was done it took my shop 3 days, as they had to re-order some washers that were missing.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

The labor book probably calls for 5-6 hours. If a tech has done a few of them it will probably take a bit less. However, it’s more likely that the tech hasn’t done a clutch job in 30 years, if ever. First time through, it took my dealer about 12hrs over a few days as there was only one tech capable of doing that job ( and probably a bunch of other jobs as well).

SinF, are you certain they weren’t waiting on the 1 time use bolts?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The labor book probably calls for 5-6 hours. If a tech has done a few of them it will probably take a bit less. However, it’s more likely that the tech hasn’t done a clutch job in 30 years, if ever. First time through, it took my dealer about 12hrs over a few days as there was only one tech capable of doing that job ( and probably a bunch of other jobs as well).

SinF, are you certain they weren’t waiting on the 1 time use bolts?
Good to know. I haven't been pestering them much (yet). Fortunately I have three JLR dealers within spitting distance (or thereabouts), so at least I have backups. I called the other two today to see what kind of experience they had with manual f types. One place said they've serviced eight such vehicles and have done two clutch replacements. Sounds promising, I guess?

Old 03-18-2019, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
U102768, are you saying that my car has the first generation clutch based on my VIN 318XX, and a second generation gearbox?
No unfortunately my copy of the parts manual doesn't list the T2R18945 clutch but as it has been mentioned by others I added it to the list. You could therefore have 1st or 2nd generation.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 PM

Official update:

Transmission disassembled, damage assessed and documented: service rep informed me that the clutch disk and flywheel were "melded together" (he actually said "flex plate" but I'm sure he meant otherwise? Again, not a mechanic. I should learn more.).

Now waiting on a decision from JLR Canada...

By the way, general question:

Would it be advisable/possible to seek some kind of compensation from the dealer, JLR, or both?
I mean, I just bought the damn thing, and I've barely gotten to drive it.
It seems absolutely ridiculous that one could buy a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle that is supposedly subject to criteria XYZ, only to have the clutch fail 2 days into ownership... doesn't it??

I feel like I'm owed something... a payment, a service credit, an air freshener... something...
Is this justified, or should I just suck it up and accept it as something that comes with the territory? I defer to the forum of seasoned f type owners...

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 03-19-2019 at 09:11 PM. Reason: asking a question
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I would expect some gesture of goodwill. I would opt for extended warranty.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I think jaguny's recommendation here is a good one.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

I have heard the term "flex plate" used in place of pressure plate. The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel. If the clutch disc (located between those two and splined to the transmission input shaft) can't spin freely between those two components when the pedal is depressed, the car will display the symptoms you described. I had two clutches fail this way. A Gen1 clutch failed after 800 miles, a Gen2 clutch failed after 14,000.

Did they actually disassemble the transmission, or just pull it out of the car to get at the clutch assembly?

Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Would it be advisable/possible to seek some kind of compensation from the dealer, JLR, or both?

I feel like I'm owed something... a payment, a service credit, an air freshener... something...
Is this justified, or should I just suck it up and accept it as something that comes with the territory? I defer to the forum of seasoned f type owners...
I have not experienced this with Jaguar. However, I had almost the exact same situation with my E46 BMW M3 when I purchased it (man, many years ago). It had about 8000 miles on it when I bought it. I drove it home from the dealership which was a little over 300 miles. The following week, the clutch seized and destroyed itself. BMW refused to pay for the repair and deemed it abuse to the clutch.

With 15k miles on it, it may be hard to get Jaguar to do anything but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. There are documented problems with the Jaguar 5-speed and you should use that as a case to Jaguar for the repairs. It doesn't hurt as the worst that can happen is that you are stuck with the bill which is likely where you are at now.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

By the way, general question:

I mean, I just bought the damn thing, and I've barely gotten to drive it.
It seems absolutely ridiculous that one could buy a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle that is supposedly subject to criteria XYZ, only to have the clutch fail 2 days into ownership... doesn't it??

I bought a new car, went through a lot more, and they didn't do anything for me (other than fixing it). Good luck.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
I already purchased an extended warranty, on top of the CPO warranty that came with the car.

I have heard the term "flex plate" used in place of pressure plate. The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel. If the clutch disc (located between those two and splined to the transmission input shaft) can't spin freely between those two components when the pedal is depressed, the car will display the symptoms you described. I had two clutches fail this way. A Gen1 clutch failed after 800 miles, a Gen2 clutch failed after 14,000.

Did they actually disassemble the transmission, or just pull it out of the car to get at the clutch assembly?
I'm only quoting the language that the service rep used. I haven't spoken to anyone who's actually worked on the car.

Originally Posted by Mahjik
I have not experienced this with Jaguar. However, I had almost the exact same situation with my E46 BMW M3 when I purchased it (man, many years ago). It had about 8000 miles on it when I bought it. I drove it home from the dealership which was a little over 300 miles. The following week, the clutch seized and destroyed itself. BMW refused to pay for the repair and deemed it abuse to the clutch.

With 15k miles on it, it may be hard to get Jaguar to do anything but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. There are documented problems with the Jaguar 5-speed and you should use that as a case to Jaguar for the repairs. It doesn't hurt as the worst that can happen is that you are stuck with the bill which is likely where you are at now.
Surely that'd be completely absurd?!
I've checked the language of both the CPO warranty and the extended warranty (I bought the 'elite' package), and both would seem to indicate that this is covered.
I'm not sure how they could make any sort of case for "abuse of the clutch" by me... I'll reiterate that I hadn't even gone through one tank of fuel. Any problems were certainly pre-existing. On top of that, I had been driving it conservatively (getting used to it), and I have driven nothing but manual transmission for my entire driving career (experienced no clutch issues whatsoever with previous vehicles: GMC Sierra 2500, Isuzu Rodeo, Dodge Ram 1500, Dodge Dart, Mazda MX5).

Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

My car had bad alignment from new and chewed up tires in a hurry, within 10,000km. Despite a clear case of bad alignment, I was out of pocket for new tires. JLR would only pay for alignment.
Another example. On my SECOND clutch, when it went out AND TOOK OUT TRANSMISSION WITH IT it also scorched flywheel. They would only agree to resurface old flywheel. I had to pay for a new flywheel out of pocket.

Trust me, I am not a timid individual. It is difficult to tell me no. I know how to insist. I am a person that would arrive to an invitation-only sales event with my Jag on a flatbed and park flatbed right outside the show room if I thought it would help me.

If this is how JLR treats someone who buys new F-type, what hope do you have?

You bought a JAAAAG, you now got a JAAAAG. You need to be OK with everything that comes with the territory or bail out right now.

Last edited by SinF; 03-20-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
If this is how JLR treats someone who buys new F-type, what hope do you have?
I expect (not hope) them to honor the terms of the warranty as written.

You sound like you've been burned a few times and that's unfortunate. I'm determined that my experience should be different. FWIW, the dealer assured me that they're "on my side". We'll see.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

I am beginning to think that Jag has given up on the MT not because of the low take rate, but because of their inability to get the clutches to survive a decent length of time. If there was simply a low demand issue, they could simply offer that option for special order only. No additional cost or handling would be involved for them since the system is already designed and just-in-time production processes can accommodate.

Fortunately, we now have an alternative for replacement clutches.

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Surely that'd be completely absurd?!
I've checked the language of both the CPO warranty and the extended warranty (I bought the 'elite' package), and both would seem to indicate that this is covered.
The devil is in the details. Basically, a warranty will cover the repair to a component that has prematurely failed because of a defect. This does not cover wear items (most manufacturers consider clutch discs, not pressure plates or flywheels, are considered wear items). In short, you'd have to have a case that that there is/was a defect that caused the failure and could no way be caused by abuse (whether the abuse was you or the previous owner(s) ).

Old 03-20-2019, 01:45 PM

So if a part fails due to "abuse" by a previous owner, then I'm just the sucker who had to pay for it? Regardless of the "CPO" designation?
I'd raise hell over that... I hope it doesn't turn out this way.

Fortunately, we now have an alternative for replacement clutches.
I think I'm going to keep this car regardless, so I'd like to know more about this alternative...

Old 03-20-2019, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

So if a part fails due to "abuse" by a previous owner, then I'm just the sucker who had to pay for it? Regardless of the "CPO" designation?
Yes.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't have much to add to any of the MT issue since mine is a '14 and I had no choice but AT, but if you do want some sort of "goodwill gesture" you will likely need to be dealing directly with someone at JLR corporate. Of course that's just my experience and it could be different in different places.

Also, I learned recently that your tech may know what's really wrong, but when it's under warranty (original or CPO) they will have to get certain approvals for everything they want to do from JLR and sometimes the tech (who may have over 30 years of hands on experience) can be overruled by those same people (when we finally got approval to replace my main wiring harness, they still had to get TWO MORE approvals before we could even order the part or find out if we would get the one existing one in England or wait three months for a new one to be made). That can also mean delays on jobs that should be quick. I learned much more than I ever cared to about how that part of the communication works and how much people NOT at your local dealer can slow things down and muck the works up further. The issue is figuring out if the problem is your dealer or JLR or a combination of the two.

Even after all the frustration I had with my issue, I don't regret getting my car and I still grin like a kid at Christmas every single time I drive.

Just my two cents for what that's worth.

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (03-20-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CPO Lemon?? Advice please