Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downsides of tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Downsides of tuning

There are downsides to tuning. Tuning is not a free lunch, free power waiting to be unlocked, it also has substantial downsides and hidden costs that need to be discussed and understood.

First, and most substantial downside is that tuning permanently and irreversibly voids any and all engine-related warranty. This includes factory warranty, extended warranty, and even third-party aftermarket warranty. This is not limited to damage that can be linked to tuning, even warranty coverage of manufacturing flaws would be denied and you will have to go to court to recover your costs. More so, once your car is flagged as tuned by JLR it will become harder to get approval for any other warranty work. While denying warranty for unrelated modifications is illegal in US, there is sufficient gray area to make your life difficult.

Second, tuning is irreversible. While it is possible to apply original tune, any tuning whatsoever creates permanent red flags in multiple systems that cannot be removed. Consequently, you can’t un-mod your car.

Third, tuning puts more stress on your engine and drive train. This will reduce longevity and reliability of your car. This is especially true for increasing peak power. While specifics are highly dependent on how you use your car, and in some cases extra stresses could be negligible. Tuning will also make your car more sensitive to extreme heat and bad fuel.

Forth, tuning drastically reduces resale value of your car. Even buyers that intend to mod cars prefer to start from unmodified examples.

Fifth, not all tunes are created equal and not every tune is ‘safe’. There are many instances of careless inexperienced tuners causing damage. Tuning modern cars is a very complex process that requires deep subject matter expertise. More so, many tuners exaggerate their claims. Don’t trust and always verify.

Sixth, tuning a leased car opens you to liability if you return it in without full disclosure. If the next owner suffers engine failure and warranty coverage is denied due to your tune, the new owner has a case to go after dealership. This is turn can end up your problem as tuning is explicitly against terms of any lease agreement you signed. Dealership would have a case for seeking damages.

If you still decide to tune your car, here is how to mitigate some these risks:

1. Wait until after engine break-in period is complete, this will drastically reduce the chances of experiencing random failures. Ideally, wait until after warranty expires, this way you will not be wasting your warranty.
2. Only purchase tunes that are backed by dyno data and have wide install base. Popularity of tunes alone will not determine their quality and ‘butt dyno’ is too easy to fool with various gimmicks like adjusting throttle pedal mapping.
3. Adjust service schedule of your tuned car. You are putting more stress on the car, this in turn requires more frequent fluid changes.
4. Consider minimum necessary modifications to achieve your goals. If your goal is a better handling car, upgrading tires might be the safest way to achieve that goal.

The following 11 users liked this post by SinF:
deltagroup (09-09-2018), EasyEd (05-20-2021), enderle (09-03-2018), FType17 (08-03-2018), Gas Cat (10-17-2018), Jklad (03-31-2021), Michael94 (08-03-2018), Mikey (08-03-2018), ndabunka (08-03-2018), Portlander (05-09-2021), Sonoman (09-05-2018) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

It could not have been said any better.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Old 08-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Could one swap ECU's? Leave the original one stock, tune only the spare one? To stem the arguments - This is merely a question, not condoning dishonesty.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
Could one swap ECU's? Leave the original one stock, tune only the spare one? To stem the usual arguments - it's merely a question, not condoning dishonesty.

Technically yes, the dealer will need to reprogram your VIN in it. HOWEVER the P167F code is stored in multiple places...

The following users liked this post:
SinF (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

SinF,
That is an extremely well considered missive regarding the risks that should be contemplated when considering a Tune or any other modifications. That said, if the proper research is done, the risks are understood and mitigated, and one is able to absorb the remaking risk, the additional enjoyment offered by these modification can be well worth the cost.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
EasyEd (05-20-2021), Mulmur (08-03-2018), SinF (08-05-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

No question it voids the warranty. For a car OUT of warranty, though, how dangerous is it? From what I can see, the driveline (diff, axles, gearbox) is the same on the S/C 5.0, whether it is tuned for 470 hp or 550 hp. Surely, the 5.0 tuned at 470 puts less stress on the driveline than it can handle, but I am not sure I would stress too much about it, since it was built to handle more. I think that is what the advocates of tuning assert. Are the engine internals any different between the two flavors of the 5.0 s/c? The impression I had is that the only real difference is the tune, and therefore, the "danger" is minimal. I am still undecided, as my car seems pretty quick already. Not sure an added 100 hp will help much in Chicago traffic.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Enosgl
No question it voids the warranty. For a car OUT of warranty, though, how dangerous is it? From what I can see, the driveline (diff, axles, gearbox) is the same on the S/C 5.0, whether it is tuned for 470 hp or 550 hp. Surely, the 5.0 tuned at 470 puts less stress on the driveline than it can handle, but I am not sure I would stress too much about it, since it was built to handle more. I think that is what the advocates of tuning assert. Are the engine internals any different between the two flavors of the 5.0 s/c? The impression I had is that the only real difference is the tune, and therefore, the "danger" is minimal. I am still undecided, as my car seems pretty quick already. Not sure an added 100 hp will help much in Chicago traffic.
I believe V8S, V8R and SVR are all mechanically identical, though the SVR does have slightly improved cooling.
If I had a V8S or V8R and was out of warranty I'd probably just request an SVR or P8 map, that way you get a map which was written by Jaguar and though I am sure the tuners are very talented, I'd probably prefer the factory map as JLR/SVO would of done a lot more research and development, putting a lot more money into it.

If under warranty and you want to keep that warranty, then I believe Lister is the only approved tuner that retains your warranty, however I think this is only valid currently in the UK region, also the Lister power pack is hugely expensive at £10,000 at which point its probably worth taking the gamble and using the money saved by not going Lister should you have any engine problems arise.

I was gonna tune my SVR, but I am now simply not going to bother, the car is far quicker than I expected and though more power is always nice, its going plenty fast enough, having just ran an 11.1@126mph and the only power mod is some basic ITG cone filters and some very minor weight reduction.

The only other option is Racechip, which won't put a flag on your ECU, but if our cars are recording boost and pressures, then should you have an issue and JLR interrogate the black box as to speak they will no doubt be able to see the car was running higher boost, at which point they could try to invalidate a warranty claim, of course it would be there word against yours but it would be rather tricky ground.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 09-03-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

For a car OUT of warranty, though, how dangerous is it?
There are two types of danger - danger of improper tune and danger of tune putting extra stress on your engine. Danger of improper tune is quite substantial, it isn't simple to tune these complex cars. However, going with a known tuner like VAP will minimize that. Danger of tune putting extra stress still remains. Your engine and drive train longevity will be reduced. It isn't unlike doing burnouts - yes, your tires can take it for some time, but if you do it all the time your rear tires will quickly get used up.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure an added 100 hp will help much in Chicago traffic.
I think much more noticeable upgrade for you going to be summer performance tires. Tune only will get you more power. Better tires will improve your take off (less slipping when putting power), will improve your cornering (less slipping when taking sharp corners), and stopping distance (less slipping when braking).

The only downside of going with summer performance tires is that you absolutely cannot drive them in the snow.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

For a car OUT of warranty, though, how dangerous is it?
The danger is essentially the same whether you're in or out of warranty. The difference is, without the mod, the repairs are at JLR's expense.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess another thing to consider, if you're doing more than just a pulley the cost can really start adding up. If one decides for both pulleys, your cost is not just upper pulley, lower pulley and tune. It is those 3 and more such as the high flow cats, more cooling etc.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ntbrinkl
I guess another thing to consider, if you're doing more than just a pulley the cost can really start adding up. If one decides for both pulleys, your cost is not just upper pulley, lower pulley and tune. It is those 3 and more such as the high flow cats, more cooling etc.
For someone who has been modding for a half century, the cost is merely the price for an entertaining hobby. (Probably less than taking up golf).

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Brutal (09-04-2018), Jklad (03-31-2021), QP7 (03-06-2024)
Old 09-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
and some very minor weight reduction.
lol 110 lbs is hardly minor. That combined with what the SVR is already down from a stock R, you're looking at 150+ pounds advantage. That's pretty huge.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Stohlen
lol 110 lbs is hardly minor. That combined with what the SVR is already down from a stock R, you're looking at 150+ pounds advantage. That's pretty huge.
If I get the wife to drive it, that is nearly 100 lbs savings right there... LOL

Mbourne (09-03-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
I think much more noticeable upgrade for you going to be summer performance tires. Tune only will get you more power. Better tires will improve your take off (less slipping when putting power), will improve your cornering (less slipping when taking sharp corners), and stopping distance (less slipping when braking).

The only downside of going with summer performance tires is that you absolutely cannot drive them in the snow.
Keep in mind that putting sticky tires will also cause more wear and tear on your suspension and the higher g forces could cause more wear on the drivetrain (oil starvation). This will be especially true if you take your car to the track. The F Type like most street cars is not intended for hardcore track use. I am shocked that extensive track use does not void your warranty. A good track driver with race tires on the F Type will cause much wear and tear than a reputable tune in my opinion.​​​​​​

Old 09-04-2018, 12:48 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm going with the theory my 150 lbs in weight savings means I put less stress on my engine, driveline and suspension, which more than offsets any additional stress added by the tune.

Really gents, this seems like an odd thread for an enthusiast's forum. After decades of trouble free modifications to numerous cars (most receiving much more than a simple tune) I've found driving and maintenance habits have lots more to do with a vehicles longevity than some intelligent upgrades would. In the neighborhoods where I work, I see late model cars abused to such an extent that they are effectively destroyed in just a few months, and the only mods they have had involve the driver ingesting copious amount of drugs and/or alcohol.

But hey. if folks want to worry about things like the increased stress on their door hinges from faster acceleration, it's your choice....

Mulmur (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by speedski

Keep in mind that putting sticky tires will also cause more wear and tear on your suspension and the higher g forces could cause more wear on the drivetrain (oil starvation). This will be especially true if you take your car to the track. The F Type like most street cars is not intended for hardcore track use. I am shocked that extensive track use does not void your warranty. A good track driver with race tires on the F Type will cause much wear and tear than a reputable tune in my opinion.​​​​​​
If someone is that worried about wear & tear, they should just not drive the car. BTW, replacement parts and regular maintenance will take care of that. Gotta pay to play.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Mulmur (09-04-2018), SinF (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

There are some cars that have fatal flaws that would result in engine damage due to track use. Last generation Subaru WRX comes to mind as a recent example - without baffles in the oil pan it will suck in air and experience oil starvation leading to bearing damage. Interestingly, Subaru STI doesn't have this problem, as Subaru designed oil pan and pickup with this in mind.

Fortunately, I am not aware of any flaws like that with V6S F-type, with only "mod" that is needed is to remove engine cover. JLR seems to design it to withstand that kind of use case. Kudos to JLR for beating up on F-type on the track during design and testing stages, they delivered and I am happy with the result.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
There are some cars that have fatal flaws that would result in engine damage due to track use. Last generation Subaru WRX comes to mind as a recent example - without baffles in the oil pan it will suck in air and experience oil starvation leading to bearing damage. Interestingly, Subaru STI doesn't have this problem, as Subaru designed oil pan and pickup with this in mind.

Fortunately, I am not aware of any flaws like that with V6S F-type, with only "mod" that is needed is to remove engine cover. JLR seems to design it to withstand that kind of use case. Kudos to JLR for beating up on F-type on the track during design and testing stages, they delivered and I am happy with the result.
The Porsche IMS bearing comes to mind too since track use and high g forces increased the chances of failure. I agree that on the F Type there is no record of such failures but physics being what it is, I can’t see how prolonged track use will not cause more wear on the engine.

I also agree that tires are important and not only improve at the limit acceleration, handling and braking but they also improve handling and steering feel. However if you are pushing your car to the limits of all seasons, like Unhinged said be prepared to pay to play. Not only will tires wear out faster, so will other components.

I know that I don’t want to drive the F Type slow but If I was in the market for a used one, a car that was babied, never tracked and properly taken care of would be ideal.

Last edited by speedski; 09-04-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Downsides of tuning