F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

emergency Brake sticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 09:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default emergency Brake sticking

Hi have a 2016 Jag F Type manual. 6 cyl.. I notice too many times if its sits in the garage for over 2 weeks I can barely get it to engage as the emergency brake sticks.. its really hard to move it to dissenge it .. Under 2 weeks its no problem but getting very annoying I fear that one day I wont be able to move it. Is there a way to disengage the automatic parking brake and only have it engage when I want to engage it.. Is there something I can unplug to do that.. or is there something I can pull the rear wheels of and lubricate.. Thanks Bruce

Old 06-29-2020, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 378 Posts

Ever had the rear brake pads replaced?

If so, were the motorized parking brake actuators properly placed into the MAINTENANCE mode? Or were they man-handled to make the caliper pistons retract?

Perhaps just cycling the Maintenance Mode will help, it certainly couldn't hurt.

To Put the car in brake maintenance mode. Ignition on, push the hand brake button down and hold for 2 secs, press accelerator to the floor and hold 2 secs turn ignition off/on and release accelerator and hand brake button. Dash should now read Brake Maintenance Mode. This retracts the EPS motors to allow you to push the piston back in. No tools needed.

To take the car out of brake maintenance mode. Ignition on, pull the hand brake button up and hold for 2 secs, press accelerator to the floor and hold 2 secs turn ignition off/on and release accelerator and hand brake button. Dash should now clear Brake Maintenance Mode
Lots of Topics by searching parking brake maintenance mode on the Forum.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Ever had the rear brake pads replaced?

If so, were the motorized parking brake actuators properly placed into the MAINTENANCE mode? Or were they man-handled to make the caliper pistons retract?

Perhaps just cycling the Maintenance Mode will help, it certainly couldn't hurt.

Lots of Topics by searching parking brake maintenance mode on the Forum.
I will try the cycling the maintenance mode ..thanks for how to do it...no I never messed changing brakes but previous owner might of...ive had the car for 1 year...and I'll report back if works....other than that...there is no way to disconnect the auto parking brake..not like I really need it curious do the automatics also have this feature

Old 06-29-2020, 02:39 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce Weller
...there is no way to disconnect the auto parking brake..not like I really need it curious do the automatics also have this feature
My manual says to disable the feature on switch-off, when the vehicle is stationary press and hold the EPB switch in the release position (down), switch off the ignition within 5 seconds and continue holding the EPB switch for a further 2 seconds.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by scm
My manual says to disable the feature on switch-off, when the vehicle is stationary press and hold the EPB switch in the release position (down), switch off the ignition within 5 seconds and continue holding the EPB switch for a further 2 seconds.
AWESOME! Im going to try that today , if that works that would be great then I can dissable it when I am parking for longer than weeks.. adn I assume it just re-enables next time you start it.. cool thank you.. no more sticky brakes.. the last time I tried to take it out of the garage after being parked for 3 months i had to keep slipping the clutch and reving it to get it to POP not good..

Old 06-30-2020, 12:12 AM

Thank you so much works great to turn off whenever you want to and resets back on next time car is started.. what I was looking for awesome Thanks

Old 06-30-2020, 04:21 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce Weller
Thank you so much works great to turn off whenever you want to and resets back on next time car is started.. what I was looking for awesome Thanks
A win for RTFM!