F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 03:37 PM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default which engine oil?

spring is here and im ready for my 1st oil change.
i picked up a genuine jaguar filter and im stuck at which oil to buy.
ebay lists many that "fit my car"
but i dont trust that method.
what are you guys using?
im mostly driving in Georgia and the south
thanks

Old 03-09-2021, 03:42 PM
Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by otokar
spring is here and im ready for my 1st oil change.
i picked up a genuine jaguar filter and im stuck at which oil to buy.
ebay lists many that "fit my car"
but i dont trust that method.
what are you guys using?
im mostly driving in Georgia and the south
thanks
0w20 is what my local dealership carries and sold me.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:53 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

5122 spec

Old 03-09-2021, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,155 Likes on 1,321 Posts

The V6 and V8 engines in these cars use direct injection technology. The particular qualities of the oil used are crucial to the proper performance and longevity of the engines.

The oil MUST conform to the stated Jaguar Land Rover specification 51.5122.

Your choices: the Jaguar-approved Castrol Edge Professional (not simply Castrol Edge) 0w20. There are a few and only a few others which meet this specification and this weight requirement, Motul, I think is one of them, as is LiquiMoly.

Can you use a different oil? Sure, if you don't care about possible detrimental effects to the engine and the associated expense.

Last edited by sov211; 03-09-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:10 PM

i dont have a dealer nearby.
spec numbers dont really help me much.
can anybody who does their own oil changes provide the info for the oil they buy and where to buy it.
thanks

Old 03-09-2021, 05:39 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

Motul specific 5122
Liqui Moly Special Tec LR 0W-20

Google it and you find many places to buy online.

You will also need a vacuum pump to extract the oil

Old 03-09-2021, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,155 Likes on 1,321 Posts

can anybody who does their own oil changes provide the info for the oil they buy and where to buy it.
thanks
actually, the specification details DO help you. If the oil you find does not have the Jaguar Land Rover specification listed on the label, or in the manufacturer's listing, don't use it. The Castrol Edge Professional was developed specifically for these engines, but now there are a few specific - European - oils that conform to this specification, and they are available easily on-line.
The fact that Joe or Bob or Ralph tells you that he changed his oil using Econoil really means nothing unless Econoil meets specification 51.5122 . And their cars will run just fine - for a while.

Last edited by sov211; 03-09-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by zach05855
Motul specific 5122

thank you so much , that is exactly what i needed to know.
by pure coincidence i bought a vacuum pump last year and its still new in the box in the garage :+)
2 gallons ordered.
thanks again

Last edited by otokar; 03-10-2021 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
actually, the specification details DO help you. If the oil you find does not have the Jaguar Land Rover specification listed on the label, or in the manufacturer's listing, don't use it. The Castrol Edge Professional was developed specifically for these engines, but now there are a few specific - European - oils that conform to this specification, and they are available easily on-line.
The fact that Joe or Bob or Ralph tells you that he changed his oil using Econoil really means nothing unless Econoil meets specification 51.5122 . And their cars will run just fine - for a while.
as the correct oil is quite vital for my $100k car i want to be sure i get it right,
which is why i use this forum because if joe, bob , ralph or billy bob bucktooth give me the wrong info, james, john, jim and mary will chime in and a discussion will arise and the correct info will likely rise to the top.
knowing that the oil is unlikely to be found on the high street and if it was the sales assistant would be unlikely to know what oil (other than 0-20) to put in, i felt the best answer would come from here, thats half the purpose of using a forum.
im not lazy, but attempting to read the tiny print with old eyes on the 100's of available oil containers, knowing that most if not all are not compatible, would be a bit of a time waster and frustrating to the max
thanks for the input

Last edited by otokar; 03-10-2021 at 05:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MCX (07-02-2023)
Old 03-10-2021, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
and approximately 20 seconds later i have now found it.
now wasnt that easy ?
surely quicker than all that typing
lol

Old 03-14-2021, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

thanks
The correct oils will list the JLR 51.5122 spec on the bottle.Your local car parts store will not carry it. Occasionally available on Amazon or Ebay. If you have a decent dealer nearby, they will carry it at a reasonable cost.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having raced SCCA formula cars for over 20 years, I can guarantee that almost every car on most Road Race tracks use Red line, regardless of what oil sponsorship sticker is on the side of the car! GREAT oil, and WILL work with our Engines! See attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
0W20_MO_PROD_INFO_2020.pdf (184.5 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by Todd Parker; 04-21-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Parker
Having raced SCCA formula cars for over 20 years, I can guarantee that almost every car on most Road Race tracks use Red line, regardless of what oil sponsorship sticker is on the side of the car! GREAT oil, and WILL work with our Engines! See attached.
great!
thanks for the addition to the "list"

Old 04-21-2021, 04:41 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Come on guys, what's an oil thread without a pissing match?

lets try this... the new ILSAC spec designed for GDI engines is GF-6A.

From the Penzoil site: "GF-6 is the name of the next ILSAC standard for passenger car motor oils. Drivers for its development include the ongoing push for greater fuel economy and the resulting engine downsizing that has grown the application of Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection (TGDI) engines. TGDI engines require increased protection against Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear."

Neither Liqui Moly, Redline nor Castrol Edge Professional meet this standard. Given our GDI vehicles and the timing chain issues germane to the AJ-126 / 133 motors, would it not be prudent to use a ILSAC GF-6A approved oil?

Ready? Fight!

Last edited by ferrral; 04-21-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ferrral
Come on guys, what's an oil thread without a pissing match?

lets try this... the new ILSAC spec designed for GDI engines is GF-6A.

From the Penzoil site: "GF-6 is the name of the next ILSAC standard for passenger car motor oils. Drivers for its development include the ongoing push for greater fuel economy and the resulting engine downsizing that has grown the application of Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection (TGDI) engines. TGDI engines require increased protection against Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear."

Neither Liqui Moly, Redline nor Castrol Edge Professional meet this standard. Given our GDI vehicles and the timing chain issues germane to the AJ-126 / 133 motors, would it not be prudent to use a ISLAC GF-6A approved oil?

Ready? Fight!
way above my knowledge level hence the post.
but i'll happily watch and cheer for whoever looks like the winner

ferrral (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 06:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrral
Given our GDI vehicles and the timing chain issues germane to the AJ-126 / 133 motors ...
Are there still timing chain issues with these engines? I know the very early ones suffered because of the tensioners, but I'd have thought Jaguar would have got a robust solution in place by now.

ferrral (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Good timing this old saw of a topic has come up again just now!
I am taking the F-Type into my favourite Jag mechanic in a month's time to fit a new steering wheel top cover as my eyes and hands/fingers don't play nice together any more and I don't trust myself to do it right. The OEM cover now looks ***** after my bodged efforts to remove the coating which had gone very sticky.
I spoke to the "boss" of the shop (not the actual mechanic) yesterday about this and the fact that my engine is very rattly, has been right from the start, and is getting worse.
Without saying any more he said "timing chains, we see it all the time on the V8 and V6, it's our most common fix on modern Jags".
When I pushed him for a ball park quote to renew the chains, guides and tensioners he said "five to seven", as in $5,000 to $7,000 AU. Gulp!
Anyway, I have never used 0W20 oil in the F-Type and I have only used 5W20 as I live in a fairly hot place and 0W20 always seemed a bit too thin to me.
But after lots of research and checking I discovered that one of my preferred Oz oil sellers, Penrite, now makes 0W20 ILSAC GF-6A, so I have bought 3 x 5 litre bottles of it enough for two oil changes. I intended to change the oil to this at my next change at the start of winter here, in around two months' time, but depending on what the mechanic says I might change over straight away. I always thought that it was worth giving the GF-6A a try on the off chance that it would fix or at least reduce the engine rattle, but I shied away until now coz I cannot find GF-6A in 5W20, only in 0W20.
The Penrite oil I have says it meets the spec for Ford M2C945-A/M2C947-A but it doesn't mention JLR 51.5122.
But as it is full synthetic 0W20 ILSAC GF-6A I don't see that as a problem.
I will see what the mechanic says and change the oil if he says that would be a good idea.

ferrral (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:18 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Are there still timing chain issues with these engines? I know the very early ones suffered because of the tensioners, but I'd have thought Jaguar would have got a robust solution in place by now.
Fair question. Honestly, I have not seen many posts regarding that. A few in the XK forums. Mine was sold new in 2013, so I always assume I'm the guinea pig. But you may be right.

Last edited by ferrral; 04-21-2021 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:00 AM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855
Motul specific 5122

Get it from FCP Euro and all the future oil changes will be "free". I ordered my oil from them and bought an OEM filter.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:45 AM
Received 362 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Parker
I like Redline oils and have used them in the past with positive used oil analysis reports.

However, isn't one of the criticisms of Redline that they, as a small "boutique" oil manufacturer, don't submit samples to whatever agencies there are that actually certify that the oil meets certain ratings or standards ?

The Redline Product Information Sheet for their 0W20 oil only says "recommended for" STJLR.51.5122 and "typical properties" of ACEA Service Class SN/SM/SL/SG/CF.
Nothing about meeting GF6A which I will take as that Redline has not submitted samples for that rating to be approved.

Redline would probably be OK but I for one will only use the JLR approved oil while still under warranty. It's too bad that Redline doesn't want to go to what is probably not an inconsequential expense to have their products rated and approved. I certainly would be a customer.

Quick Reply: which engine oil?