F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type 2.0L - FAIL or FANTASTIC ?!

Old 12-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
EVERYONE should be upset at cheaping of the model.
why? If it helps Jaguar sell more cars and, in turn, deliver better future products, who cares? It's not really any cheaper in the US anyway! It's like the people that skewered Porsche for making the boxster and cayenne. Without those cars Porsche wouldn't be a fraction of what it is today. I buy cars because I like them, not for the exclusivity. Regardless, it's not like you are going to see an ftype at every stop light.

The following users liked this post:
Kodiak (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Automotive manufacturers do not care about anything other than increasing sales volume and dealership profitability.

I think JLR have a good idea with entering other market niches they weren't in before, like the SUVs segments. They seem to want to emulate the Porsche approach to segment diversification.

If the 2.0 litre isn't your cuppa, just stick with the other model and trim levels. As with the XE, JLR want to have an entry-level model to acquire new buyers and expand the customer base for possible future sales.

Queen and Country (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

We're not talking about a new entry level model getting a slow cheap engine, we're talking about the flagship of the brand, which is undoubtedly the F-Type currently. For the same reason why the SVR exists at the top of the flagship line, this is the equivalent of a V4 Corvette or Viper. The V6 in these cars was enough to increase sales, but you are going to lose the exclusivity from R and SVR owners due to the onset of cheap 4 cylinder models.

The following 2 users liked this post by sts-v:
buickfunnycar.com (12-07-2017), Jagged Wire (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

ive had a 2L engine once, never again

Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

EVERYONE should be upset at cheaping of the model.
It's only cheapening the brand in the eyes of the enthusiasts that care. A very small handful of individuals (the 1%) who frequent Internet car forums. 99% of people don't have a clue as to what size the engine is, how many cylinders, which wheels drive the car.

Putting a 2.0 four banger in the Cayman / Boxster has done nothing to change its image in the eyes of the public as a premium sports car - they would likely put it way above the F Type V6 and V8 variants.

The following 3 users liked this post by ek993:
BruceTheQuail (12-07-2017), NBCat (12-07-2017), Queen and Country (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

It all boils down to F-Type owners getting their feathers ruffled seeing a car that has a 2.0 and looks identical, except for engine and exhaust and people not knowing the difference, parked up you would not know the new 2.0 from the V6. Worse again, imagine a V6 owner trying to stay with the 2.0 upstart on a twisty bit of road, not a chance. It corners like it's on rails.

The following 2 users liked this post by powerhouse:
BruceTheQuail (12-07-2017), NBCat (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM

We're not talking about a new entry level model getting a slow cheap engine, we're talking about the flagship of the brand, which is undoubtedly the F-Type currently. For the same reason why the SVR exists at the top of the flagship line, this is the equivalent of a V4 Corvette or Viper. The V6 in these cars was enough to increase sales, but you are going to lose the exclusivity from R and SVR owners due to the onset of cheap 4 cylinder models.
Having spent many consulting hours with the manufacturers, I can confidently tell you they are only concerned with sales volume. Having an affordable version of the X152 is very consistent with how they approach marketing and market share. 'Exclusivity' is not something they consider, nor care about. JLR want Jaguar to be a higher volume brand instead of a quirky, niche producer of low-volume sports cars.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the car-buying public know and care very little about anything other than image. Once again, Porsche comes to mind.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

A new Miata, with slight mods, would have a much more enjoyable car around the twisties.
Or a Lotus, a Cayman, or many others.

The F-type wasn't meant to be a sewing machine.

The 2.0 JLR offering won't see the performance support of the Mercedes 2.0 and the ease of getting to 450hp and beyond.

All ribbing aside, I am a firm believer in personal taste and choices. If the 2.0 liter rings your bell, more (or less) power to you.

For me, pressing start and hearing the beast come to life is WHY I love the core of the F-type.

You won't see any 2.0 liter offerings from true exotics like Ferrari to pollute their brand.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-07-2017 at 01:13 PM.
SinF (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
Having spent many consulting hours with the manufacturers, I can confidently tell you they are only concerned with sales volume. Having an affordable version of the X152 is very consistent with how they approach marketing and market share. 'Exclusivity' is not something they consider, nor care about. JLR want Jaguar to be a higher volume brand instead of a quirky, niche producer of low-volume sports cars.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the car-buying public know and care very little about anything other than image. Once again, Porsche comes to mind.
I suspect this is true, sadly!
Always amazes how some marketing execs can allow this dilution of brand value / image to chase sales volume and consequent increased revenue and profits.

I remember when the Boxster came out and indeed the predecessor Porsche 924, the Boxster whatever it's fans believe became widely known as the Porsche for people who wanted a 911 but couldn't afford one.
In a similar vein Mercedes used to be a prestigious brand, the S class was legendary for good reasons, when the A series was introduced it damaged the brand in the eyes of many enthusiasts.
By contrast Toyota had a volume sales brand and understanding marketing rather well created a new brand with Lexus to target the exclusive prestige luxury segment.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
A new Miata, with slight mods, would have a much more enjoyable car around the twisties.

The F-type wasn't meant to be a sewing machine.

The 2.0 JLR offering won't see the performance support of the Mercedes 2.0 and the ease of getting to 450hp and beyond.

All ribbing aside, I am a firm believer in personal taste and choices. If the 2.0 liter rings your bell, more (or less) power to you.

For me, pressing start and hearing the beast come to life is WHY I love the core of the F-type.

You won't see any 2.0 liter offerings from true exotics like Ferrari to pollute their brand.
Before you say something you should look it up,Google is my friend just type Ferrari 2.0,I 'll help you :

shut-up-and-listen-to-this-glorious-2-0-liter-ferrari-v-967163546

Old 12-07-2017, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I stand corrected! Now I say Barf hahaha.

I was referring to the here and now though.

In the 70s my fav car was a Saab Sonnett w/ a 4cyl and 70hp.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

While I love the jag v8, I actually think the v6 suits me better in the f type. It is enormously different to drive on a track. The 4 will be that again, I think. So while Jags have always tended to be overpowered and step out, if there was ever a jag that would benefit from the lighter weight it is the f type.

I'm not upset at all, I reckon it is a great thing. And we wont see a lot more of them. They are not very practical and not as "safe" as a porsche, it isnt as though there is a big market out there for them.

powerhouse (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Can't understand that comment Burt,
A bit of a contradiction there the F-type is a sports car and driving ability is what it's all about, not much of a car if it can't handle the twisty bits , that's part of what a sports cars about, Driving.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Always amazes how some marketing execs can allow this dilution of brand value / image to chase sales volume and consequent increased revenue and profits.
Crazy concept that, a company wanting to increase revenue and profits!!

Originally Posted by Paul_59
I remember when the Boxster came out and indeed the predecessor Porsche 924, the Boxster whatever it's fans believe became widely known as the Porsche for people who wanted a 911 but couldn't afford one.
In a similar vein Mercedes used to be a prestigious brand, the S class was legendary for good reasons, when the A series was introduced it damaged the brand in the eyes of many enthusiasts.
By contrast Toyota had a volume sales brand and understanding marketing rather well created a new brand with Lexus to target the exclusive prestige luxury segment.
Porsche would have gone out of business if they didn't diversify from the 911 (or other sports cars). Enthusiasts were up in arms when they produced their first SUV - diluting and devaluing the brand etc. It was an overnight success, became their best selling model by far and enabled them to remain viable as a business - and all these years later - we have fantastic 911 GT3's and GT2's as a result of the brand dilution. Pretty good result I would say.

And as regards Mercedes, I imagine their sales volumes are far far far higher than the days they were concentrating on the low profit margin S class. If their brand is damaged as you say, they don't seem to be suffering for it, infact quite the opposite.

NBCat (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 PM

That is a great example of a small, niche manufacturer, Porsche, gaining a toe-hold in the SUV segment to increase volume and profitability. If a company is not in business to increase volume and thus profitability, why are they in business in the first place?

Could an electrified X152 be far behind to set JLR at the forefront of that niche?

Perhaps everyone should simply wait to drive the 2.0 litre F-Type prior to passing judgement based on the comments of someone in a YouTube video.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat
That is a great example of a small, niche manufacturer, Porsche, gaining a toe-hold in the SUV segment to increase volume and profitability. If a company is not in business to increase volume and thus profitability, why are they in business in the first place?

Could an electrified X152 be far behind to set JLR at the forefront of that niche?

Perhaps everyone should simply wait to drive the 2.0 litre F-Type prior to passing judgement based on the comments of someone in a YouTube video.
Have driven the R the S and the 2.0 and coming from a 500bhp xkr i think the 2.0 is a brilliant car

Old 12-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Crazy concept that, a company wanting to increase revenue and profits!!

Porsche would have gone out of business if they didn't diversify from the 911 (or other sports cars). Enthusiasts were up in arms when they produced their first SUV - diluting and devaluing the brand etc. It was an overnight success, became their best selling model by far and enabled them to remain viable as a business - and all these years later - we have fantastic 911 GT3's and GT2's as a result of the brand dilution. Pretty good result I would say.

And as regards Mercedes, I imagine their sales volumes are far far far higher than the days they were concentrating on the low profit margin S class. If their brand is damaged as you say, they don't seem to be suffering for it, infact quite the opposite.
I don't know if the order of my post led to confusion or you just chose to ignore my point,
yes we all know car companies like any other are in business to make profits and typically this comes from high volume even if profit margins are low rather than low volume prestige model.
That said Toyota / Lexus approach to name just one company gets the benefits of both high volume mass market products without dilution of their newer prestige brand Lexus.

As for Porsche having to diversifying from 911, I well remember the 924, 944 and 928 model introduction, these were in case it has been forgotten a new range to replace the 911 which was to be discontinued.
The 924,944 928 went through a couple of iterations before they were discontinued, thirty or so years after the 911 replacements were discontinued the 911 is still the quintessential Porsche whatever you think about their SUVs (or Chelsea tractors as they're called in UK)

Old 12-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Have driven the R the S and the 2.0 and coming from a 500bhp xkr i think the 2.0 is a brilliant car
I havent driven it but I've spoken to a couple of Jag drive instructors who report its awesome.

I'm with you. I'm more concerned about my cubic inches in the bedroom than the garage.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
powerhouse (12-07-2017), Queen and Country (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Queen and Country (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

It increases the value- no different that the 2.0 did for Audi
It opens a wider pool of would be buyers (due to fuel consumption- and insurance rates)
Now people actually know Jaguar is still in business and then they find Jaguar makes a supercharged 5l V8.

BruceTheQuail (12-07-2017)

Search this Thread