F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type base ride on 18" rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Question F-Type base ride on 18" rims

I'm a former XKR owner who dumped it because of the ride on the SW desert highways. The XJ that replaced it did the water pump self destruct thing and after five months and two attempted engine replacement I dumped that, too. So I'm currently Jagless.

I'm seeing a lot of 2016/17 Base model F-Types falling off the end of their leases right now. They all seem to come with 18" rims and some visible sidewall (gasp!), so I'm wondering how plush is the ride compared to an XKR on 20s. For sure, there must be a compromise regarding grip and ultimate handling, but considering how many roads out here go mostly straight for 200 miles at a time, GT cruising is the bigger concern.

Look forward to your reports/experiences.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
I'm a former XKR owner who dumped it because of the ride on the SW desert highways. The XJ that replaced it did the water pump self destruct thing and after five months and two attempted engine replacement I dumped that, too. So I'm currently Jagless.

I'm seeing a lot of 2016/17 Base model F-Types falling off the end of their leases right now. They all seem to come with 18" rims and some visible sidewall (gasp!), so I'm wondering how plush is the ride compared to an XKR on 20s. For sure, there must be a compromise regarding grip and ultimate handling, but considering how many roads out here go mostly straight for 200 miles at a time, GT cruising is the bigger concern.

I couldn’t tell the difference between the 19” and 20” wheels. I don’t know what that says about the 18” wheels.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

The F-Type has a completely different chassis and suspension than a XKR so you can't compare ride quality between the two based on sidewall sizing. The F-Type is going to be stiffer, all around. Also, different people are sensitive to different things. Some people can't tell the difference when moving between different wheel sizes and some people can. In theory, the 18" wheels with non-super performance tires will provide the smoothest ride capable on a F-Type.

The reason I mentioned "non-super performance" tires is that tires also play into the role of ride quality. The more performance oriented the tire, the stiffer the sidewall is made for performance driving. The stiffer the sidewall, the less road noise (shock) is absorbed by the tire and transferred directly to the suspension and chassis (which is what you as a driver feel).

In short, there are just a lot of variables which play into ride quality.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I test drove all 3 of the F Type, the Base, the R and the S. I found the base with the 18" wheels less stiff and bouncy. I bought the base for that reason. For me, I think the base with the 18" wheels would make the best choice for a GT. Some have stated that with the adjustable suspension on the R that it is fine. If I was younger I probably would have gone with the R. I find that the F type I have is just a little more stiff ride than my VW Passat wagon and it is the LUX version. I have Conti's on the Jag and Firestone wide ovals indy 500 on the VW.

The following users liked this post:
agentorange (10-03-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange

My two cents.
Comfort is important to me and when I purchased my 2013 XF I test drove cars on 18", 19", and 20" and honestly would not have bought the XF on anything but 18" wheels.
Likewise with my 2018 F-Type, and I couldn't be happier with the handling and comfort of the car. When I drove it home from the dealers I thought I'd made a huge mistake because it rode like a buckboard--checked the tire pressures and they had all four at 51 PSI. What a change and relief when I deflated to the called for 37 PSI.

agentorange (10-03-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

I was a bit afraid for any size above 18" due to stories about ride comfort. Still I ordered it with 19" and have no complaints. We made a tour trough the mountains in Austria, Switzerland, France, Italy, Livigno , Spain,
so we've seen all kinds of road surfaces from razer smooth asfalt [Spain] to bulging granite blocks [ Switzerland ], gravel [ France, 5cm deep, resurfacing a road], potholes the size of a pizza [ Italy, France] and roads
without any surface [ waiting on fresh asfalt ] , and I never thought "this is too hard" .. So I gues you'll be allright with the 20" as well, unless your local Domino's didn't adopt the potholes in your area..

Old 08-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

The Vegas dealer has both base and s on the lot so go drive one. I think the 18's just don't look right . I like the '20s but have stayed with the '19s that came with the car.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My understanding that base model F-types, that would typically come equipped with 18" rims, do not have adjustable suspension and as a result are harsher ride than F-type S with 19" inch rims in comfort mode.

Luc Lapierre (08-08-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
My understanding that base model F-types, that would typically come equipped with 18" rims, do not have adjustable suspension and as a result are harsher ride than F-type S with 19" inch rims in comfort mode.
That's interesting.

Coworker got a used one from Phoenix with 20" wheels. I'm pretty sure it's not an S and yet it says it rides better than the Porsche Boxster he had before. That surprised me as every test I've ever read about the Boxster and the Cayman says they ride pretty well. He drove it back from Phoenix and the stretch of US 93 between Kingman and Las Vegas really sorts out cars that ride from those that don't. Yet he didn't complain about the ride over that journey. Clearly YMMV in perception of ride comfort.

Thanks, all.