Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The F-Type at the mall

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Default The F-Type at the mall

Today I took my BRG coupé up the highway to do some grocery shopping (rule #1: when it leaves the garage the trip always includes a highway portion)...I choose my parking spot carefully, always. In this case it was the end spot on a slight incline with a low curb in front. Front parking sensors ON. Yes, they did tell me when I was close to the curb (the incline helped because that made the curb relatively higher than otherwise). Did my shopping. As I approach the Jaguar I see a fellow getting out of his Mercedes SL-something....he walks over to me, asks if the Jaguar is mine, essentially tells me that it is the most beautiful car he has ever seen (it probably is because it is gorgeous - especially compared to the Mercedes), asks me lots of questions, looks at the interior, comments on the 20 inch wheels and the gigantic brake discs and calipers....asks if he can take photos (yes, of course)...thanks me and goes into the bank. I load the groceries in the trunk (plenty of room in the coupé regardless of what the pundits say) and as I am about to head off, the same man runs out of the bank to ask for my contact information in case I ever want to sell it (highly unlikely)...this sort of encounter is not rare with these cars (or any Jaguar, for that matter). I am sure that many of you have had similar experiences becaue the XK coupé is the second-best-looking Jaguar

Last edited by sov211; 01-30-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Ok, so the guy robs the bank, gets your contact info, so he can come in the middle of the night and steal your Jag, and make a speedy get-away...

Old 01-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Ok, so the guy robs the bank, gets your contact info, so he can come in the middle of the night and steal your Jag, and make a speedy get-away...
uh....I live north of our mutual border - things are just a bit different up here, so far.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Yep, I read that cringing the whole time. I imagine Victoria Canada is a lovely place.
You can bet that an encounter like that around our neck of the woods ends in an unexpected visit, if not a polite car jacking on the spot.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

The Ftype looks great. Its a gorgeous car, so the attention will be there. Crazy if the bankrobber would have taken it as his getaway car.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Gregory, as I was reading your post the thought never crossed my mind that sharing information would be anything other than perfectly natural. I've done so myself more than once, and made some friends in the process.

I remember seeing your F-Type at Van Dusen. It certainly did its part in beautifying the grounds.

Tony

Old 01-31-2019, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=tkoschinsky;2021374]Gregory, as I was reading your post the thought never crossed my mind that sharing information would be anything other than perfectly natural. I've done so myself more than once, and made some friends in the process.
[Quote]

Tony:

Agreed. Happily, we live in a country in which life is still relatively safe and normal and generally we do not immediately fear the motives of others. I am thinking, though, that we should consider building a wall on our southern border, which our neighbour to the south will pay for.
I spend a lot of time talking about and showing the features of my Jags to interested people. I have never, ever, had an unpleasant experience...except a borderline case (which I may have shared before): I was filling the fuel tank of this same F-Type. A woman in a new BMW SUV pulled up to the other side of the fuel island. After looking at the F-Type she told me how beautiful it was (I knew that, but I thanked her). She then asked me what kind of car it was. "A Jaguar F-Type." "Oh...I love the way Jaguars look but I hear that (the following is verbatim)* they break down in the middle of nowhere for no reason."*

Hmmm....my response : "That is a myth propagated by BMW owners." (this is just about as rude as Canadians should be, and I probably should have been kinder; after all, she was just repeating what she had heard from people who in all likelihood had never owned nor driven a Jaguar.
And that ended our conversation.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
I am thinking, though, that we should consider building a wall on our southern border, which our neighbour to the south will pay for.
Please DO, and make sure its high enough to keep friggin Polar Vortexes on your side!

Old 01-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

I am sure that many of you have had similar experiences becaue the XK coupé is the second-best-looking Jaguar
wait... what???

Hmmm....my response : "That is a myth propagated by BMW owners."
Hahaha. I must remember that.

Please DO, and make sure its high enough to keep friggin Polar Vortexes on your side!

Good one. Stay warm up there!

Old 01-31-2019, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

keep friggin Polar Vortexes on your side!
No Country for Cold Men.
LOL

Old 01-31-2019, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I can remember the days of innocense, I do miss them.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
No Country for Cold Men.
LOL
Beware of fake news about the Arctic air from Canada. Parts of Canada have a temperate climate all year long. Today, where I live, the camellias are in bloom, the daffodils are just about to bloom, the snowdrops are almost finished blooming, the grass is green (it is always green and the weeds grow 24/365...); the temperature this afternoon was 10 C. You can drive your Jaguar all year long with no fear of road salt...But all this comes at the price of living in an earthquake zone. The (true description) of the climate here must be especially irritating to those to the east in both this country and the US suffering through really awful winter conditions right now. In compensation, remember that we have the Damoclesian threat of earthquake to deal with, all year long.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 345 Posts

...we have the Damoclesian threat of earthquake to deal with, all year long.

It always warms me to hear a classic woven into a conversation so effortlessly.

The following 3 users liked this post by eeeeek:
Queen and Country (02-01-2019), Sonoman (02-01-2019), sov211 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Remember that we have the Damoclesian threat of earthquake to deal with, all year long.

For centuries they have been predicting the collapse of Rome, people are still wearing beautiful shoes.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
I can remember the days of innocence, I do miss them.
Not as much as me. Its the world we were promised and prepped for, but we never saw it.
When I was a kid I left a carton of cigarettes in the phone booth at Heathrow, it was there when I returned 2 days later.
Fast forward to teens, got kicked in the phone booth for taking longer than 2 minutes.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,430 Likes on 7,432 Posts

Beware of fake news about the Arctic air from Canada. Parts of Canada have a temperate climate all year long. Today, where I live, the camellias are in bloom, the daffodils are just about to bloom, the snowdrops are almost finished blooming, the grass is green (it is always green and the weeds grow 24/365...); the temperature this afternoon was 10 C. You can drive your Jaguar all year long with no fear of road salt...But all this comes at the price of living in an earthquake zone. The (true description) of the climate here must be especially irritating to those to the east in both this country and the US suffering through really awful winter conditions right now. In compensation, remember that we have the Damoclesian threat of earthquake to deal with, all year long.

Tell me about it. I live about a dozen miles from the (in)famous San Andreas quake zone

Old 02-01-2019, 06:01 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
For centuries they have been predicting the collapse of Rome, people are still wearing beautiful shoes.
That Colloseum will be impressive when it's finished ....

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

[QUOTE=sov211;2021398]
[QUOTE=tkoschinsky;2021374]Gregory, as I was reading your post the thought never crossed my mind that sharing information would be anything other than perfectly natural. I've done so myself more than once, and made some friends in the process.

Tony:

Agreed. Happily, we live in a country in which life is still relatively safe and normal and generally we do not immediately fear the motives of others. I am thinking, though, that we should consider building a wall on our southern border, which our neighbour to the south will pay for.
I spend a lot of time talking about and showing the features of my Jags to interested people. I have never, ever, had an unpleasant experience...except a borderline case (which I may have shared before): I was filling the fuel tank of this same F-Type. A woman in a new BMW SUV pulled up to the other side of the fuel island. After looking at the F-Type she told me how beautiful it was (I knew that, but I thanked her). She then asked me what kind of car it was. "A Jaguar F-Type." "Oh...I love the way Jaguars look but I hear that (the following is verbatim)* they break down in the middle of nowhere for no reason."*

Hmmm....my response : "That is a myth propagated by BMW owners." (this is just about as rude as Canadians should be, and I probably should have been kinder; after all, she was just repeating what she had heard from people who in all likelihood had never owned nor driven a Jaguar.
And that ended our conversation.

Gregory, I LOVE the subtle dig! You Canadians... such trouble-makers!

Old 02-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTEGregory, I LOVE the subtle dig! You Canadians... such trouble-makers![/QUOTE]

Yes, we can cause trouble, but oh-so-politely...

Old 02-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTEGregory, I LOVE the subtle dig! You Canadians... such trouble-makers![/QUOTE]

Yes, we can cause trouble, but oh-so-politely...

Quick Reply: The F-Type at the mall