F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is F type more complex than a Boeing 777

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Is F type more complex than a Boeing 777

One of the USB ports in my 2016 F type S has no power. While dealing with other issues I asked the service center to take a look at it.
A new wiring harness is apparently required. However the wrong one was sent and the dealership seems to have been having difficulty getting this resolved so they suggested I call customer service.
I was duly informed that it would take 109 days to make one for my car. I asked several times including varying the question to "Do you mean 3.5 months?"
The agent assured me that this was correct. Perhaps I am impatient but I was not willing to let my car languish in the shop for so long, for something so trivial. Therefore the representative kindly offered to open communications with the dealer to see if an answer could be found. However, customer support will not call the dealership for two days as they need to research the problem (Don't ask me how one can begin researching the problem without speaking to the team working on the car). There was no budging because this is "company policy". I was stonewalled when I asked to speak to a senior level person. I will say that the agent was always polite and let me know repeatedly that she "understood" my distress, she simply wouldn't provide help that I deemed timely. I called my dealership up, who were as amazed as me at the quoted build time and they agreed to reassemble the old harness so I can get my car back and enjoy it while Jaguar craft a replacement.

I note that a Boeing 777 takes 83 days to build from beginning to end, therefore I am led to believe that a the electrical wiring of a jaguar is more complex since it takes 26 days longer to put together (could this complexity be the source of Jaguar's reputation for electrical issues?).

Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Have you seen the price of a 777 ? ;-)

Old 10-12-2016, 07:47 PM

True, but depreciation is better : )

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:13 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

To build anything in a short space of time requires pre purchasing and build of many of the parts. The timescales Boeing quote is for assembly only

The real reason the loom will take so long is either the supplier is trying to tie it in with the next batch or he's waiting for more orders to make it cost effective to build

Old 10-13-2016, 05:48 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Surely a repair would be an option? Its a wire? as long as it does not interfere with any of the ecu diagnosis, resistance ect.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

It's not like the don't have a crate or 2 of these harnesses laying around next to the assembly line getting stuffed into cars every day.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's not like the don't have a crate or 2 of these harnesses laying around next to the assembly line getting stuffed into cars every day.
Took nearly a month to get a replacement black window trim. My argument was the same.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Yes, you'd think "the factory has a bin of them on the assembly line" but I was watching a James May tour around the Mini factory and there is a heavy reliance on "just in time" - even to the extent that they have a team of people watching for road issues that might impact the arrival of component parts that might stop the production line. This might be an example of the "don't stop the production line" being sacrosanct and as someone said, waiting for a supplier to be able to add an extra one. Not excusing the delay but maybe the "theres a bucket of them on the shelf" is now a myth...

Old 10-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Not excusing the delay but maybe the "theres a bucket of them on the shelf" is now a myth...
Perhaps so, but I doubt they are sending each piece separately by post each time they need one for assembly. When my first clutch failed, customer service did successfully place an emergency request to pull parts from the line. I'm guessing that a non-functioning USB port does not constitute an emergency in JLR's eye.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

If you have seen any stories on just in time it applies to the supplier too. They finish just in time to load on truck for delivery, but you would think a certain number of every thing is some where in the world. Maybe it's not first come first served.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Just in time is here to stay as spare parts on a shelf is dead money. As long as the manufacturer agrees to supply parts for at leasst 10 years after the vehicle was sold it doesn't matter if it takes six months or more to actually provide it - they have still technical met the requirements. (May be different rules in the US.)

I was chatting to a guy who works in a local bodyshop, and he has seen insurers write off cars purely because parts were not available quickly enough to make a repair cost effective. Even if you VOR parts that should have high availability you can face many months lead time, even for current production parts because they are not willing to delay the line orders and suppliers have tailored their production for just in time. I've been waiting for a replacement cruise control switch for my F Type since April, a headrest for my X351 since July, and a brake hose for my XJ6, all VOR with Jaguar. It's embarassing chasing them every couple of weeks to be told "sorry, we think it will be with us in two weeks". After waiting nearly 4 months for them to supply replacement brake pipes for my XJR after they corroded and leaked I gave up and bought some copper pipe and a pipe flarer and made them myself.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Blame Toyota. The "just in time" process comes from the Toyota Production System. TPS is here to stay. You can order the report on it, but make sure it has the right cover sheet.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:59 PM

I think there is much truth to what is being said regarding the likely state of manufacturing but this does not make it an acceptable practice. I took my car back with the faulty electrics reinstalled, with a view to fixing this issue when the part comes in. It is inconceivable that I would be expected to let it languish in the workshop for three months. I am somewhat disenchanted with Jaguars attitude and customer support. I see from these posts that I am not the only one so treated. There are many examples of the consequences that result from indifference and arrogance towards customers. I am surprised that Jaguar is apparently not learning these lessons.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

As much as I liked my F-Type, this was one of the major reasons I decided to move on before the "troubles" began. With the new F-Pace and XE, Jaguar is building some very attractive and competitive products, but they probably won't succeed in their goal to increase market share if they cannot find a way to provide replacement parts on a timely basis. The vast majority of customers simply will not tolerate waiting months for replacement parts.

We're in the market for a replacement for my wife's 15' MB C300, which will go over the 50K warranty mileage limit in 8-9 months. Were it not for the problems, which are the topic of this thread, the XE would be the leading contender.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I was recently touring a factory of a manufacturer of automotive parts. The replacement parts line was a separate assembly line not connected to current production. Some of the time issue is whether the part is from one vertically integrated manufacturer that can make all the components at one factory or if supplied from another factory or an outside vendor. The just in time for replacement is true as I discussed the ability to predict volume of needed replacements. They don't manufacturer more than they need as a rule in this particular company. This company did not supply Jaguar as far as I know.

I think the real problem is customer service and how the problem is handled while you wait.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, I understand all that, but I also know that virtually every other mainstream vehicle manufacturer that I have experience with can deliver almost any replacement part to a servicing dealer usually within 2-3 days. A week is considered a long wait.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I have it from a good source, that Jaguar is not really modernized when it comes to management. Given their handling of the stereo issue, I'd be suprised if they can handle the paperwork in 2-3 days. I am assuming they are using paper still. I never received a response from the the CRC on this forum after I responded to the unsolicited help that was offered concerning the stereo. A replacement part? Must be really complicated.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

As a former Boeing 777 pilot (sadly now I fly an Airbus), I much prefer 'flying' my F-type around town ;-)

Old 10-14-2016, 10:44 PM

Wow - impressive. It can't be denied that the F type is huge fun when it is working. I bet you didn't have to wait 109 days for parts for your 777 : )

Old 10-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

No.

Quick Reply: Is F type more complex than a Boeing 777