Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-Type R Modifications

Hello fellow car enthusiasts,

I'm new to the Jaguar family, I recently purchased a 2016 F-type R as my daily driver. I've owned big power Mustangs and Mercedes before this but I'm happy to say the Jag is a beautiful car and I'm very pleased. I'm looking to get a VAP tune along with a smaller pulley for the supercharger at least. Has anyone installed the crank pulley along with the supercharger pulley and what are your thoughts? With the bigger crank pulley this causes the accessories and such to spin faster? Doesn't that cause harm long term? Again this is my daily driver...oh and this thing drinks fuel! lol but I decided to go with VAP based on some of their posts, customer service (great at responding to emails), and proof of power (dyno sheets). Thanks in advance for the help and opinions...I'm looking forward to being a member on this forum.

-Mike

Old 04-19-2020, 08:14 PM
Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Welcome to the jungle, I can't answer your questions personally but have found many on here are very helpful and there is loads of information when you search the forums.
Cheers.

The following users liked this post:
F-Type R 16 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

The larger crank pulley has no effect on the accessories as they run off a different belt connected to a different pulley (behind the SC crank pulley).

F-Type R 16 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Start first with the crank pulley. It offers a bigger gain and is easier to install. If you still need more, you can then add the SC pulley. VAP will offer the appropriate software upgrade at that time if needed for no additional charge.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
F-Type R 16 (04-20-2020), Pcar2Jag (04-23-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 04:11 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Going with VAP is solid, I have the Valved Exhaust on my R and for me, it's a must have upgrade for all R owners!

The following 2 users liked this post by KarimEls:
F-Type R 16 (04-20-2020), JgaXkr (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 05:39 PM

I've read a lot of reviews and VAP seems the way to go. Right now I ordered the Yellow Wolf lower intake along with the Mina Gallery upper intake tube. Looking for more power, SC noise, and some better MPGs (if that's even possible) lol my concern was with the bigger crank pulley over working the accessories and such but it seems it doesn't have any effect with these motors according to ozXFR. I just got the car and haven't even looked under it yet. Car has 8k miles on it and I'd like to due both pulleys, the tune, along with the upper and lower intake...you guys think it'll be too much? It's my daily driver now and don't want to be in the shop if possible...I want the car to be safe too. Also any suggestions and preventing over heating after all this is done? Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:44 PM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type R 16
I've read a lot of reviews and VAP seems the way to go. Right now I ordered the Yellow Wolf lower intake along with the Mina Gallery upper intake tube. Looking for more power, SC noise, and some better MPGs (if that's even possible) lol my concern was with the bigger crank pulley over working the accessories and such but it seems it doesn't have any effect with these motors according to ozXFR. I just got the car and haven't even looked under it yet. Car has 8k miles on it and I'd like to due both pulleys, the tune, along with the upper and lower intake...you guys think it'll be too much? It's my daily driver now and don't want to be in the shop if possible...I want the car to be safe too. Also any suggestions and preventing over heating after all this is done? Thanks guys, much appreciated.
if it’s your DD....leave it alone and drive the car. These cars are fast and sexy you don’t need the extra power or sound until you have driven it and enjoyed the marvelous things the Jag engineers have created. If SC whine over exhaust crackles is your desire then add the intake lower kit first that’s where the noise is suppressed. If it’s the Mina good looks then but the upper. The car is barely broken in ....Enjoy

Portlander (04-20-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,779 Posts

It's up to you but I stopped with a stage II tune and a larger crank pulley on my 2014 XJR (so far). Same 550HP version as yours.

After talking to Stuart with VAP adding both pulleys also brings with it a recommendation of swapping plugs to a colder version that is copper cored. Copper plugs wear fairly fast compared to the factory double Iridium plugs.
Plus it is NOT an easy job changing plugs on any Jaguar 5.0L V-8. So more maintenance and more probability of getting into heat soak and killing all the power.

Now I am in South Texas which is much hotter that Chicago so you "might" get away with both pulleys and not swapping plugs?
Maybe some E-mails to Stuart where you can talk to Chris who is their tuner.

I have found Stuart, Chris and VAP in general to be very stand up folks and very customer oriented. I was unhappy to be told NOT to add the upper pulley but very grateful for their unbiased opinions!

Now I have added a larger IC and upgraded IC pump but have been told by several members that I was wasting my money. I don't know about that as I have never got heat soak since the IC upgrade. I actually think if I could get a dyno tune with the tuner there I could wring more power out of my current setup. I would recommend you start data logging if your not doing it now. Just too many variations in conditions so any out of the box tune will leave power on the table in the name of safety. I want that as this is my daily driver and not a little used track car.

Currently pushing a documented 530 HP/540 TQ at the wheels on the dyno but I think that's low as the guy had never done a Jaguar before and I only got 3 runs. He did about 8 runs before he got his method down. Then the 3 I got showed a power increase every run.

2014 XJR Dyno Run

One thing I like to post is I was not expecting the fairly big increase in gas mileage? Maybe others have not seen any improvement?
Big road trip of 2500 miles in 3 days resulted in a 78 mph average (Including fuel/rest stops) with 27.8 mpg!

When I was working I was doing an 80 mile round trip in very heavy traffic and still getting 23-24 mpg.
Just did not expect this since I came from a 2005 S Type R. Which got significantly worse mileage.

F-Type R 16 (04-22-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

my concern was with the bigger crank pulley over working the accessories and such but it seems it doesn't have any effect with these motors according to ozXFR.
Review my lower pulley install and you'll see more detail on how the drive system works; no change to the accessory system.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...pulley-179588/

Car has 8k miles on it and I'd like to due both pulleys, the tune, along with the upper and lower intake...you guys think it'll be too much? It's my daily driver now and don't want to be in the shop if possible...I want the car to be safe too. Also any suggestions and preventing over heating after all this is done? Thanks guys, much appreciated.
The engine is reliable in regards to the modifications themselves. It can handle the extra load, it's been proven on numerous vehicles. What's more questionable is the vehicle itself; things can fail, and with that modifications can make it worse. I had the radiator fan fail internally, and it took an exhaust camshaft and a set of valves with it when the engine overheated. I'm sure the extra heat from an overdriven supercharger didn't help.

One step colder plugs are important; I went with iridiums and haven't had any issue vs. copper core. Additional cooling is also helpful; I experience thermal derate when doing hot laps at the drag strip. The problem with this is there aren't any proven options available that improve cooling on the F-type. That being said, the f-type does a good job of managing thermal issues by derating; probably too good of a job, it manages mostly based on calculated values and not real data, which can be frustrating.

Not many owners have ventured into both upper and lower pulley territory, but from those who have, I haven't heard any issues. Consider the risks. With any increase in horsepower/torque, there is an increase in stress on the engine and thus reduced reliability. It's just a factor of how much that reliability is reduced.... If you go from an engine lasting 300k to 200k, that's probably tolerable. But if you go from 200k to 20k, obviously that might be something you want to avoid.

F-Type R 16 (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 12:08 PM

Thank you for the feedback, I'm going to give VAP a call and see what is the best way to go. I get the impression the lower pulley and tune is more so the way to go. No spark plug change and more power than just the upper sc pulley would give. Your car is making some goooood power!

Old 04-22-2020, 12:10 PM

Wow...that is probably one of the best "how-to" posts I've seen....like I just replied it seems the lower pulley and a tune is more so the way to go than just a upper sc pulley. Spark plug change really that hard on these cars?

Old 04-22-2020, 12:30 PM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Great Info thanks guys!

Old 04-22-2020, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Wow...that is probably one of the best "how-to" posts I've seen....like I just replied it seems the lower pulley and a tune is more so the way to go than just a upper sc pulley. Spark plug change really that hard on these cars?
I tried to make it as idiot-proof as possible. Good directions would give someone the confidence to do it themselves who otherwise wouldn't risk it.

The passenger side is a breeze; the coil packs have a bolt on them which needs to be removed to pull the pack out. On the passenger side, these are at the top and easy to access. The driver side however is another story... each side has a foam cover you have to snake out; the driver side having the oil cap built in is just that much more difficult to get out. Then, the coil packs have the bolt on the bottom, which is that much closer to everything since they are on an angle. The second coil pack specifically is so close to the spring perch tower, that I had to use a special skinny ratchet to get it out and could only get 1-2 clicks at a time. Took over an hour just to do that one plug.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:25 PM

Just got off the phone with Stuart from VAP, that guy is great. I'm going to go with the Tune, Lower Pulley, along with the Mina Gallery Upper Intake, and Yellow Wolf MS Lower Intake. IF I feel the need for more then I'll consider the Upper Pulley and Plugs. I'll keep everyone posted, thanks again for the help fella's!

KarimEls (04-23-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 06:32 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

You wont get any noticeable extra power out of the intake but you should get some nice supercharger whine though

Old 04-23-2020, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Yes that little wrench can be a life saver!!
I like this small VIM HBR4 it's only about $14 on EBay and so handy too!

Can you post the colder Iridium plug part number? All I got was the recommendation for Copper cored plugs.
If I do go with the upper pulley in the future it would not be too bad to change the plugs if they will last 100K miles or so.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Can you post the colder Iridium plug part number? All I got was the recommendation for Copper cored plugs.
If I do go with the upper pulley in the future it would not be too bad to change the plugs if they will last 100K miles or so.
These are the colder plugs I just installed: NGK 96024 ILKAR8H6

Old 04-23-2020, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
These are the colder plugs I just installed: NGK 96024 ILKAR8H6
Without double checking I am fairly sure the stock V6S spark plugs are one heat range colder than the stock V8 spark plugs, 8 vs 7.
Which should mean that the stock V6S spark plugs are perfect as a colder plug for a tuned V8.
My V6S spark plugs are NGK SILZKAR7E8S, NGK code 93476, JLR part # C2Z28434.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:45 PM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Just when I thought I was over the mod bug, I clicked on this thread.

Don't mind the ramblings of this old fart. Carry on.

*secretly waits to read more thoughts about power mods

Old 04-23-2020, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Without double checking I am fairly sure the stock V6S spark plugs are one heat range colder than the stock V8 spark plugs, 8 vs 7.
Which should mean that the stock V6S spark plugs are perfect as a colder plug for a tuned V8.
My V6S spark plugs are NGK SILZKAR7E8S, NGK code 93476, JLR part # C2Z28434.
The stock plugs I removed were already 7 range.

Quick Reply: F-Type R Modifications