Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f type tune up

how easy is it to tune p the base f type to match the s model power

Old 12-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Originally Posted by gsa
how easy is it to tune p the base f type to match the s model power
To the best of my knowledge you can't put the factory S tune on the base F-Type as no-one sells the tune and no JLR dealership is willing to do it even if they were able to.
That's the bad news, but here's the good news!
You can get a "tune only" from Velocity AP (VAP) which takes the base model to around 410 hp, so 35 more HP than the stock S 375 HP (and 75 more HP than the base) for not a lot of $.
Or you can spend a bit more and get the VAP larger crank pulley and associated tune which takes it to around 450 HP.
It's a doddle to apply the tune, easy to DIY in your own garage, just follow the instructions which come with the hand-held tuning device. But you will need a reasonably powerful battery tender/charger hooked up while you apply the tune to protect the ECU from being bricked.
Fitting the larger crank pulley and drive belt is not quite so easy and best left to a shop unless you are fairly handy with the tools.
I did the "tune only" first then a few months later got the larger pulley (albeit the Eurotoys pulley rather than the VAP pulley but they are virtually identical), and the increase in power, torque and performance was very noticeable each time. Not so much with the "tune only" especially as I already have an S, but the jump from "tune only" to "larger pulley + tune" was fairly dramatic. Both jumps will of course feel even more dramatic on your base model.
Search this forum, plenty of threads on the VAP tunes and pulley.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
To the best of my knowledge you can't put the factory S tune on the base F-Type as no-one sells the tune and no JLR dealership is willing to do it even if they were able to.
I believe VAP will put in the OEM V6-S tune if that's what you want. They do that for the SVR tune.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I believe VAP will put in the OEM V6-S tune if that's what you want. They do that for the SVR tune.
Yep, I think you are right, I stand corrected!
But why pay for the 375 HP tune when you can get the 410 HP tune for the same money and zero reliability problems?

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-16-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

But why pay for the 375 HP tune when you can get the 410 HP tune for the same money and zero reliability problems?
I'm currently running the 400 tune. I like having Jag's opinion of what will be safe long-term, and hope that if challenged on warranty, I could defend my tune by saying that I had their tune, so that it couldn't be the problem (before they laughed me out of court). Coming from 340 hp, 400 feels pretty damn good to me. I ran the 416 hp VAP tune for a while, but it felt a little too strong for the car to me (remember, the Base has a **** differential)... and I didn't like to wrestle with it quite that much - and I currently spend a lot of time sideways anyway! Of course, I'm frying my tires as fast as I can so I can get Michelins, so I'll probably change back to 416 then.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FullChat
I'm currently running the 400 tune. I like having Jag's opinion of what will be safe long-term, and hope that if challenged on warranty, I could defend my tune by saying that I had their tune, so that it couldn't be the problem (before they laughed me out of court). Coming from 340 hp, 400 feels pretty damn good to me. I ran the 416 hp VAP tune for a while, but it felt a little too strong for the car to me (remember, the Base has a **** differential)... and I didn't like to wrestle with it quite that much - and I currently spend a lot of time sideways anyway! Of course, I'm frying my tires as fast as I can so I can get Michelins, so I'll probably change back to 416 then.
I've been running the 450 hp VAP tune (larger crank pulley) for over a year now with zero problems and it feels (and sounds) sooo much better than the 416 hp tune it's not funny!

Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I've been running the 450 hp VAP tune (larger crank pulley) for over a year now with zero problems and it feels (and sounds) sooo much better than the 416 hp tune it's not funny!
+1. I’ve been running that tune for almost 3 years and 22k miles. The torque is so much stronger than the 416 Tune.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Before you decide to tune, make sure you understand the risks:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...tuning-206030/

Old 03-22-2019, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

There is no such thing as OEM VAP tune, they can apply V6S tune to your V6 car, but your warranty will be still as void as with any other tune.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
There is no such thing as OEM VAP tune, they can apply V6S tune to your V6 car, but your warranty will be still as void as with any other tune.
I didn’t say an OEM VAP tune... I said an OEM tune put in by VAP. At no point did I say this would preserve your warranty in the event of an issue, but thanks for your concern.

While I’m nitpicking... installing a tune doesn’t automatically “void” your warranty. I had significant engine repairs done under warranty (including supercharger replacement) post VAP tune and crank pulley. Unusual, maybe? Is installing a tune as immediately catastrophic as you make it seem? Absolutely not.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

While I’m nitpicking... installing a tune doesn’t automatically “void” your warranty. I had significant engine repairs done under warranty (including supercharger replacement) post VAP tune and crank pulley.
This is not the norm. Pulley definitely voids SC warranty. How could it not void warranty, you are running SC at higher RPMs than OEM, so it is outside spec.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

This is not the norm. Pulley definitely voids SC warranty. How could it not void warranty, you are running SC at higher RPMs than OEM, so it is outside spec.
It totally depends on your dealer. They could spot your mods and void your warranty, they could see your mods and determine that your mods did not impact whatever issue brought your car in for service, or they could simply “look the other way” and not say anything about it. It’s a crapshoot.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

If the supercharger fails for a reason not attributed to the pulley; the warranty is still valid. In my case, the engine overheated due to a radiator fan that failed. Everything was covered. Honestly I believe the supercharger was replaced for no reason as it did not solve my noise complaint.

The following users liked this post:
mbelanger (03-22-2019)