F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure Rate of "New Style" Coolant Y Pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 08:27 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

So what I don't get: if you guys who switch to 140kpa caps don't see any release from the cap i.e. boiling over, wouldn't that indicate that system pressure never exceeds that threshold? If that's the case, how is a 200kpa cap harming anything? Only thing I can think of is if your car is actually overheating from low coolant, air bubbles, etc. In those situations, the problem lies elsewhere and I doubt the caps will make a difference unless you're overheating it all the time.

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (06-03-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 09:08 AM
Received 204 Likes on 151 Posts

Surely you should think of the cap as a safety valve - like an electrical fuse - neither one should be triggered in normal use, there to protect hoses etc. in the event of a problem. So rating doesn't particularly matter as long as not too low. This is a pressure relief cap not a regulator.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:04 AM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kansanbrit
Surely you should think of the cap as a safety valve - like an electrical fuse - neither one should be triggered in normal use, there to protect hoses etc. in the event of a problem. So rating doesn't particularly matter as long as not too low. This is a pressure relief cap not a regulator.
Agree, my point was there was some hypothesis that the higher pressure cap put more stress on the coolant pipe seams, but maybe I read it wrong. The coolant pressure should float well below 140 (and 200) kpa in anything but extreme situations where something else is usually a problem. Shouldn't make a difference except maybe slightly more protective of the engine overall in the case of an overheat (i.e. you see steam earlier and know to shut it down immediately).

Old 04-24-2023, 10:57 AM
Received 244 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd rather have my system work up to 200 if that was how it was designed to work...which it was because that is the cap they chose to use. The original plastic tubes were not up to the task....so replacing them with stronger units is best.

I looked at a new F-type and it was 200..so not sure why your dealer gave you 140. And not sure why on some cars it seems to be 140 and others 200...have not looked at other cars but it is possibel the radiator's on larger cars are larger and don't need to go over 140, who knows.

Anyway, just to reasure you that I do fully understand your point and post, just don't agree with the logic. I put metal pipes in my car and now will leave it at 200 as designed given things work just fine now - I don't want to have any overheating issues with the car. Ever. I bought a 140 cap...thought about it...and decided to use 140 would be an error. Just my way of thinking. Best.

Old 04-24-2023, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum y pipes

Old 04-24-2023, 12:05 PM
Received 244 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Leaks oil

Boroscoped mine...no issues on mine.

Best,

jb

Old 05-14-2023, 07:32 PM

are these new style pipes whats currently used? If so what year did they start being used....

Old 05-14-2023, 07:45 PM
Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Pipe style transition

My MY2017, from what I have found, was built very late 2016. It had the flanged plastic pipes. It's always difficult to know the exact point and car that the change to the solid round pipes was effected. No different than the production changes that E types went through. What was still in the parts bin?? I would say that a mid to late 2017 production F may have those new pipes. I was fortunate enough to have my old style pipes replaced under warranty in early 2022. I also bought a set of the aluminum ones, as I do'n't think plastic and hot liquids together will last long in an engine compartment. There are many threads about these pipes here, take some time to read through them.

gwng8 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,185 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by gwng8
are these new style pipes whats currently used? If so what year did they start being used....
If by "new style pipes" you are referring to the alloy pipes pictured then no, those pipes are purely aftermarket.
The factory pipes are still plastic but improved from the early versions, the later factory pipes are one piece and smooth with no plasti-welded seams down the middle which was the main failure point of the old pipes.
The changeover AFAICT was some time in 2016 and/or with the 2016 MY.

Edit - too slow as usual, beaten to it by Valerie! And the changeover may have been in 2017 not 2016.

gwng8 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 08:02 PM

thanks everyone, yes I was referring to the newer plastic OEM.....I'm looking to buy an F=type, but looking more in the 2019/20 range, so won't be an issue

Old 05-14-2023, 08:02 PM
Received 417 Likes on 225 Posts

The changeover was in later 2018 with some late MY18s and all the 2019s and on. Early 2018s have the plasti-welded seams still.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
gwng8 (05-16-2023), OzXFR (05-14-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 08:43 AM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gwng8
thanks everyone, yes I was referring to the newer plastic OEM.....I'm looking to buy an F=type, but looking more in the 2019/20 range, so won't be an issue
Still an issue, just not as big of one.

gwng8 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 10:02 AM
Received 841 Likes on 476 Posts

It's an interesting topic. We ordered some of the aluminum items from Alibaba to see if it was something we wanted to sell. They aren't expensive but it's the shipping cost that adds quite a bit, so ordering 50 or 100 sets and sending by sea freight makes sense.

Our team had some concerns about the fitment of the parts. The OEM stuff slots into the holes pretty smoothly and square. The aluminum ones were not perfectly aligned and you can push them in but doing so pinches the O-Rings. My tech director and service manager concluded that they were too concerned about the O-ring longevity.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 5 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
Carbuff2 (05-20-2023), DJS (05-15-2023), Ken Dreger (06-03-2023), sov211 (05-15-2023), woohoo (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Stuart don't know if your aware but the originators of these make them here in Houston,Texas? I started the first post on these Aluminum replacements and wanted to make VERY sure what we were getting. Now they have been copied all over the place and we are seeing QA issues showing up.
Here is my thread where the manufacturer makes a few posts with some background information. However I will note we are still waiting on the rear water manifold as well as NA versions! Someday I hope!

Aluminum Cooling Pipes

As you might have noticed they started at around $220 or so for the pair and now they are running less than $60 which is great IF the quality is there.
So I am sure Chinese copied parts might have some issues?
Hard to say as I unfortunately paid the $200+ when they first came out. These were nicely made and I have no complaints about fitment.

jcb-memphis (06-03-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 584 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Stuart don't know if your aware but the originators of these make them here in Houston,Texas? I started the first post on these Aluminum replacements and wanted to make VERY sure what we were getting. Now they have been copied all over the place and we are seeing QA issues showing up.
Here is my thread where the manufacturer makes a few posts with some background information. However I will note we are still waiting on the rear water manifold as well as NA versions! Someday I hope!

Aluminum Cooling Pipes

As you might have noticed they started at around $220 or so for the pair and now they are running less than $60 which is great IF the quality is there.
Hard to say as I unfortunately paid the $200+ when they first came out. These were nicely made and I have no complaints about fitment.
On the other hand, if it only cost you an extra $140, and you got good quality, consider it a deal! (The cost of a problem part could be much higher.) Cheers!

Old 05-15-2023, 08:53 PM
Received 841 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1

Aluminum Cooling Pipes

Certainly I'm aware that A company in Texas has been offering them and they were much more expensive originally. And then dropped substantially in price. I have no idea where they are having them made.

Not trying to insinuate that they do or don't make the parts in China, just a face value comment that we sourced some identical looking parts that we would be able to sell for $60 and found the fitment wasn't fantastic. Probably not enough to be a real problem but if you have a few problems and the parts only make you a couple bucks, it just isn't worth the hassle.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 05-16-2023, 01:26 AM
Received 162 Likes on 104 Posts

Getting back to the original topic it seems that there has only been 1 reported failure of the unwelded new plastic y- pipe so far.

Old 05-16-2023, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The vendor specifically states they are made in Houston,Texas in the thread I started and referenced above.
Yea I guess the extra $140 or so I paid did insure a better quality part so I am glad for that. Just surprised that the price and availability changed so fast?

Old 06-03-2023, 01:10 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
OK, change of plan as it often gets over 100 F here in summer!
I will fit the new cap when it arrives and run with it through until the start of summer here (1 Dec) then consider switching back to the 200 KPa cap. Whichever way I go I will keep the other cap in with the tools I store in the cubby in the hatch, "just in case".
Can you please tell me how much effort & time it took to replace these? I want to do mine....

Old 06-03-2023, 01:18 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Certainly I'm aware that A company in Texas has been offering them and they were much more expensive originally. And then dropped substantially in price. I have no idea where they are having them made.

Not trying to insinuate that they do or don't make the parts in China, just a face value comment that we sourced some identical looking parts that we would be able to sell for $60 and found the fitment wasn't fantastic. Probably not enough to be a real problem but if you have a few problems and the parts only make you a couple bucks, it just isn't worth the hassle.
I sourced some for $60 on eBay and my indy JLR mechanic liked them so much he bought sets to have in stock. Maybe luck of the draw?

Ken Dreger (06-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Failure Rate of "New Style" Coolant Y Pipe.