F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Jag owner tire question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default First time Jag owner tire question

I recently purchased my first Jag. It was a corporate lease 2017 F type S in British Racing Green.
I purchased it from a Jag dealership and have a certified car and a warranty to 2024.

The car has 23,000 miles and serviced by the dealer. The car has 20" carbon fiber insert wheels
and the dealer replaced the tires prior to me taking title to it.

The car is very striking and almost exotic looking thanks in part to the wheels. But I am kind of old school
and although it may sound strange I am not a big fan of the ultra low profile tires, I like the looks of a little more side wall.

I do plan to have a daily driver but during the winter I have the option to drive another car. But I still like the idea
of all season tires.

I am think about going to 19" wheels while maintaining a similar width. I can see there are many options available but I would
like some thoughts from people who have had more experience then I have with Jags.

Regards

JMS

Old 05-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnymike
I recently purchased my first Jag. It was a corporate lease 2017 F type S in British Racing Green.
I purchased it from a Jag dealership and have a certified car and a warranty to 2024.

The car has 23,000 miles and serviced by the dealer. The car has 20" carbon fiber insert wheels
and the dealer replaced the tires prior to me taking title to it.

The car is very striking and almost exotic looking thanks in part to the wheels. But I am kind of old school
and although it may sound strange I am not a big fan of the ultra low profile tires, I like the looks of a little more side wall.

I do plan to have a daily driver but during the winter I have the option to drive another car. But I still like the idea
of all season tires.

I am think about going to 19" wheels while maintaining a similar width. I can see there are many options available but I would
like some thoughts from people who have had more experience then I have with Jags.

Regards

JMS
With the V6S you have the 380mm rotors in front, which means that you can go no smaller than 19" OEM wheels. If looking at aftermarket wheels, you need to be careful: Since there is little clearance between the front caliper and the wheel, some aftermarket 19' wheels will not fit. Once you decide what direction you are going in, we can help you with wheel offsets and tire sizes.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Thanks

19" is where I want to be. I have a Cadillac CTS -V that has 225/40 R19 and 285/35R19 and I like the proportion.
I realize I may not be able to fit the exact sizes to the Jag based on what will fit over the brakes and the circumference of the tires.
I want to keep the speedometer as accurate as possible.

I do want to do my homework before purchasing as I do not want to get into any modifications of the car itself.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

The OEM 19” tire sizes (what I have) are 245/40R19 (front) and 275/35R19 (rear). I think they’re a good compromise between ride and handling. I drop out of dynamic mode for bad pavement, as the ride is barely perceptibly softer in normal mode.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

You have the 20" Blade wheels (same as me) which were the most expensive wheel option at the time so if you decide to change to 19" and sell the Blades you should get a good price and lose little or no money on the change over.
You might even be able to arrange a direct swap with another forum member who has 19" wheels but would like the 20" Blades instead, but a lot depends on the brand, size, type and condition of the tyres.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:06 AM

ozxfr

Thanks
I know the wheels are top of the line and I kind of feel stupid thinking about a swap.
They definitely give the car a distinctive look. I am giving myself some time to let
them 'speak to me' because I dont like messing with what was done by the experts
in designing and building the car.

I dont plan to drive the car much in the winter, if at all, but in Chicago, I would like all season tires
because you can be caught off guard occasionally and performance driving is not important to me.
I find that there are very few options for all season tires in the OEM sizes.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

With smaller rims, you need to worry about clearing calipers. I agree with you that 20 inch rims result in a harsher ride with only adding esthetic considerations.

"But I still like the idea of all season tires."

I think this is a huge mistake. Essentially, you are asking to retrofit a wooden propeller on a jet fighter.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 AM

sinF

I hear what you are saying. Thanks for your comment.

Just for the record the picture you use by your sign in name is the wheel style I prefer.