F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell what options a car has?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell what options a car has?

So I've been looking into F-Types and seem to sometimes have trouble with package identification.

Coming from Porsches or Corvettes you can tell if the car has a certain package (Sport Chrono has the clock, or 2LT or 3LT will have the heads up display).

Any quick tips for identifying these on 2014 or 2015 F-Types? I notice sometimes they have multiple buttons next to the chair controls, back up camera, or the performance seats.

Any advice is appreciated! Also....is the S worth it over the base? I just daily my cars, never track so the 40 HP doesn't seem like much.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The only relevant difference between the S and base is that the S has an LSD. The power is easily cranked up to 416hp on either with a tune as both engines are mechanically identical. Standard and optional brakes are larger on the S as well. Standard wheels on the base are 18", 19" on the S.

No real tell tale on the packages, as different model years come bundled differently.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The only relevant difference between the S and base is that the S has an LSD. The power is easily cranked up to 416hp on either with a tune as both engines are mechanically identical. Standard and optional brakes are larger on the S as well. Standard wheels on the base are 18", 19" on the S.

No real tell tale on the packages, as different model years come bundled differently.
Also the 'S' has electronically adjustable shocks.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

Hmm how does a LSD help with DDing the car? Honestly as much as I want to admit I just wanna bad *** daily that looks and sounds great haha
The adjustable shocks might be great for comfort though, and the faster throttle mapping might be fun for some freeway pulls.

Any info on the the performance vs sport seats?

Old 03-25-2018, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The performance seats look cooler, but many find the sport seats more comfortable. The performance seat has a seam that runs down the center of the seat back that can dig into your back until the seats are softened by a lot of use.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The performance seats look cooler, but many find the sport seats more comfortable. The performance seat has a seam that runs down the center of the seat back that can dig into your back until the seats are softened by a lot of use.
I find the performance seats to be quite comfortable. I never noticed the center seam, but mine are in suedecloth.

If you get a coupe, you really want the backup camera.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Bee
Hmm how does a LSD help with DDing the car? Honestly as much as I want to admit I just wanna bad *** daily that looks and sounds great haha
I am in the same boat as you, ie, looking at F-Types, and since you mentioned sounds as a criteria - you would need to make sure the car has switchable active exhaust option. It is not standard on the Base, and *most* S trims have it, but I did find some 2015 S Trim without this option.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought a base model mainly because it was a MT coupe (mine is a 2016)that was fairly highly optioned - 19" wheels, premium leather, vision package (strongly recommend), climate package, etc... The LSD may be nice if you know how to drive it and it seems a number of S owners don't use the adjustable setting for suspension (shocks) in dynamic mode as the ride is too rough (19" wheels will stiffen up the ride as well).
Larger brakes are always nice, but mine work really well and as mentioned the VAP tune will take you 416 HP for only $1,000. or so. I do have switchable exhaust but not sure if 2015's were set up as standard.

Either way they are fun cars.

Last edited by El Gato; 03-25-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
If you get a coupe, you really want the backup camera.
Most of us will "second" this recommendation. In fact, I backed out of a deal specifically due to the car lacking the rear view camera that the dealer had originally thought was in the build.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I have found the reverse traffic detection (AKA cross traffic detection) on my coupe to be even more useful than the rear camera, it has saved me from possible fender benders a few times now, so I would look for one with that option.
Only a couple of hours ago I was reversing out from an underground shopping centre car park space, no cars coming that I could see, but the cross traffic detection fired up anyway (beeps and graphics) and it turned out that some dopey pedestrian was trying to scoot across my rear end! That is one of my pet hates in shopping centre car parks, idiots who take no notice of the fact that your reversing lights are on and your car is inching backwards, and still they walk behind you without a care in the world.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

+1 on cross traffic

Old 03-26-2018, 12:28 AM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I just went through this myself. I had an opportunity throw some cash at a F-Type, but didn't want to finance beyond that, which gave me an upper limit on my budget that kept me in the shallow end of the pool, as I like think of it.

I also wanted a coupe this time. If I'd included verts in my shopping, that would've given more options (mainly because that would open up MY 2014 cars). In my case, this meant I was looking at 2015 V6 coupes, and that came down to two options:

1.) Low mileage CPO Base V6.

2.) Higher mileage V6 S w/little or no warranty (or 3rd-party).

There's an $8-10K premium for the MY 2015 S, but the deprecation curve really drops out when the warranty is exhausted, so that potentially opens up finding an S for roughly the same price. I went with option 2, because I found one even cheaper than the base CPOs I'd been looking at, but it could have gone either way. I like the Jag CPO, but I also like the price I found for my S.

On Base vs S, you can ignore the HP completely, the questions are: do you value the performance potential of the limited slip diff, do you value the definite performance of the active suspension (potentially driver configurable), and do you value having the active exhaust as a standard feature (I'm talking about the valved exhaust system, not the 'loud' button)?

For me, my use-case for the F-Type is a daily driver and a capable Sport/GT hybrid. I like the extra HP, but not for the extra $$$, especially when it can be gotten through an easy aftermarket tune. I'm completely 'meh' on the LSD; I will seldom push the car hard enough for that. What I do appreciate though, is a meaningful Dynamic Mode experience and the Active Exhaust note when I am taking the car out for a little thrashing in the country. For me, that was worth giving up the CPO for an S.

Your mileage is sure to vary.

Regarding packages, I will attest that the common refrain of "get the Vision Package" is spot on. Get the Vision Package! The tell for the Vision Package that I used was, "does this car have the Blind Spot Monitoring option?" If yes, you're golden. That and the panoramic roof were my must-haves, and I am quite happy with those choices.

Other options to be aware of if you decide to consider the S:

The S always has Dynamic Mode, but does not automatically come equipped with the Configurable Dynamics (but usually will).

The S always has Active Exhaust (which opens up automatically at mid-RPM), but doesn't have a user-switchable button as standard (but is very common). My car doesn't have the loud button, but now that I've had the car a couple of months, I've decided I'm not missing it. Getting the exhaust open is not hard if that's your intent, even in town.

The S does not come with the Performance Seats standard, but usually will. I found one with the Sport Seats, which is what I actually prefer. I also don't have the Extended Leather Pack (or whatever that's called), and surprisingly, I'm not missing it much either.

All of that is potentially available on a Base V6 if it was ordered that way. The suspension on the Base V6 is considered by some to be harsh, or sometimes compared with the ride from Dynamic Mode=On all the time. In theory (I cannot vouch for this), you can get a softer ride with Dynamic Mode.

If all that Configurable Dynamic blah-blah-blah isn't really important to you, but a low mileage, nicely treated car with a factory warranty is important, look for a CPO car from a good JLR dealer. There are some excellent deals out there if you're patient, and you don't have to guess at the equipped option packs. I missed a fully loaded Sapphire Blue 2015 Base V6 Coupe CPO with only 22k miles for $39k by about 4 hours. If I'd made that phone call the day before, I'd probably be driving that car today instead of my S. No regrets, though.

Good luck!

Last edited by kurtomatic; 03-26-2018 at 12:41 AM.
ndabunka (03-26-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

You are very well advised to be careful about the options list. I bought a 14 CPO Base Vert at a bargain price and I continue to marvel at the lack of features. I can live without memory seats really but not having a home-link or the rear view camera is a constant annoyance.The F does not adapt to you, you adapt to it. It is exactly what it is and if you don't like it, tough. Now the performance is superb, and getting complements twice a day on its appearance is very nice, but the early technology was not state of the art. For example yesterday the TPMS informs me a tire is low, but it doesn't say by how much as my two year older Benz would. So you stop get out a manual pressure gauge to find out what is going on. That could lead to a discussion of the absence of another feature, the spare tire, but that is a whole other story. Keep in mind that it is a low volume car and the
CPO choices will be limited. I place a high premium on the CPO warranty. Mine had a new water pump, oil pressure sensor, and transmission mounts to the tune of $1000 w/i the first 5,000 miles. I would have been extremely upset if I had had to out of pocket the cost.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:48 PM

Related question - Is there a way that you can tell the options the car has based on the VIN number? Would dealers be able to provide that? I found a car I am interested in, the car is in Dallas and I am in DC! Need to figure this all out with pics

Old 03-28-2018, 06:19 PM

Without a window sticker you have to do bits and pieces. The Carfax report, the vin analyzer, and the re-created build sheet which the dealer should be able to generate will all have some information. But at the end of the day an informed customer doing an inspection is the only way to be sure.

Why no pics?

Old 03-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Pics are hugely valuable for sussing out many of the options. That's pretty much required, I'd think. While a JLR dealer can lookup the VIN in their Topix system to get a database version of the build sheet, I doubt they'd do that for anyone that didn't bring the car in to them.

chenthu (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Suaro
Without a window sticker you have to do bits and pieces. The Carfax report, the vin analyzer, and the re-created build sheet which the dealer should be able to generate will all have some information. But at the end of the day an informed customer doing an inspection is the only way to be sure.

Why no pics?
Whats the vin analyzer? I will try my local dealer to see if they can get me the options list based on VIN.. I do have a third party service doing a pre purchase inspection for me shortly.. Now I know, buying a car unseen is not for the faint hearted!

Old 03-29-2018, 11:26 AM

I don't have vin analyzer in my files. When I want to use one I Google and a whole bunch of them show up. The info they supply is very limited, but is data none the less. Your dealer should be able to pull what amounts to a build sheet. It does not have all the info a Mulroney would but it is the best you can do. One of the issues is that descriptions of used cars are inherently weak. One person's VG is another person's E. Pictures can only reveal so much. I have bought and sold cars at a distance and it was always worked out. Maybe not 100% but close enough to be reasonable. But the inexactitude is build into the price. Do your research inside and out and you will be able to know what to look for, what to question, what to ask. Read the original brochure, its on line, word for word. And this forum has a wealth of information.

Now is the seller a JLR dealer? Is it CPO?

Personally I would buy a Honda Fit from a private party without a CPO warranty But a F-Type I would not, unless it was a Project 7 or something like that simply because it would be otherwise unobtainable.

Lastly patience is important. One will turn up in DC eventually.

chenthu (03-29-2018)