Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idiot here has broken 2019 F-Type sim card slot

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 06:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Idiot here has broken 2019 F-Type sim card slot

Hi all,

I'm an idiot (in the UK), I know. I was a little heavy handed and I've broken the slot. The card goes in but isn't retained (i.e. its lose). I see on ebay there are many audio interface modules (jpla-19e110-bb) that look like mine in the arm rest cupboard.

Such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2308724607

Do I simply have to go back to the dealership or is it a job I could do (I have reasonable skills, mainly computer building based, but no mechanic).

Questions are:

- Can these devices be changed, or will they be encoded some how, preventing the swapped-in device from operating?
- Are these all interchangable (I assumed to look up the exact code when extracted)?
- Finally, how do I find out HOW to extract it? For example, I can see the side panels of the console can be pulled out, in fact, I removed mine a little and can see a few screws that I have no idea are for the panel or the carpet etc? Is there a manual/instruction somewhere?

Would you recommend this? I'm asking as the car does NOT have an option to connect to a WIFI network, so I can't get the car onto the internet and therefore use my new Maps subscription with Live Data feed. In the previous revisions, that was an option.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated, although I expect the worst.

Kind regards

Carl

Old 01-26-2023, 07:22 AM
Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Did you try inserting the card and putting a piece of tape (with a strong adhesive) over the slot to hold the SIM card in place?

Old 01-26-2023, 07:23 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

No need to call yourself an idiot. You're NOT. You just took something for granted, and made a careless mistake.
The center console on an F-Type must be a clockwork bag of modules and bits, just like much of the F-Types and XEs and XFs were around that year.
I'll bet good money the cubby (the caddy, as Yanks call it) lifts right up and out of the center console. And the Card and Aux and USB cradles must be mounted to the un-viewable side of the cubby-container, and wired to a pull-out/push-in harness. (With enough length of wire to allow a serviceman to pull the cubby up out of the way without breaking wires).

If no one on this forum responds, check out the UK forums for the F-Type Jaguars. Those forum posters often collect tons of pages of disassembly diagrams stored on pdf, and they frequently share them with owners in need.

As for coding.... as far as I know, only the SD CARD itself holds the recognition codes your car is programmed to look for. The card-READER cradle itself is stock computer hardware.
The wiring HARNESS that card-cradle is hooked to... that's what I'd wonder about. Like opening the back of a flat screen tv, you never know if it's some wild 6-pin cable, or some elaborate split 11-pin ribbon cable....uuugh.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 01-26-2023 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:29 AM

Good idea, no. The sim is 'wobbly' if you know what I mean? It's almost like the side of the cage (not sure how to describe) has given up on the left.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:34 AM

Thanks, that's kind of you. I just feel like a wally for potentially breaking something in a very expensive car. I'm actually feeling quite down on it, hence would love to get it fixed.

Oh, there's a UK Forums. To be honest, the thought didn't cross my mind, I'll take a looksie.

As for the 'cubby', as I look into the arm rest. Are you stating that's the front plate (with the USB + Sim + lighter) panel? Which you suggest might pull out? Looking at the parts on ebay they seem to have that sort of design, but I didn't want to start pulling in fear it's screwed in from the sides or back and breaking something?

Thanks

Carl

Old 01-26-2023, 08:53 AM

I've just registered and posted to the UK site. Thanks

Old 01-26-2023, 09:03 AM

You're description is even better news. That's sounds as if it may not be a damaged cage at all--it might be just a loosened clip that holds the cage tight against the back of the cubby housing.

Now it's just a waiting game.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
You're description is even better news. That's sounds as if it may not be a damaged cage at all--it might be just a loosened clip that holds the cage tight against the back of the cubby housing.

Now it's just a waiting game.
Oh.. Fingers crossed. I assume I need to pull the thing out first to find out.

The question is. Does this thing just pull out (with a little persuassion) or does it have to be unbolted/unscrewed from behind some how? My googling so far suggests it is pulled straight out, with two clips at the top keeping it in; but would love that confirmed before I break it.

To clarify, does the plate with the USB/SIM/Lighter simply get pulled forward and into the Cubby; with the wires and everything else then coming through with it for unclipping?

Old 01-26-2023, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by sp33dy

To clarify, does the plate with the USB/SIM/Lighter simply get pulled forward and into the Cubby; with the wires and everything else then coming through with it for unclipping?
Yes, that would scare me too. I have the feeling it does NOT pull straight out and push straight back in without removing the cubby housing. It would be nice if it did.... But when I had to remove the rearview mirror to access the sensor eyes you can see only from OUTSIDE the front windscreen,... I had to remove a series of concealing covers and housings first. Jaguar in its elegance does not seem to like having panels with anchors and screws and caps visible to the occupant. They tend to create a "concealed" look with all the attachments hidden on the blind side of the panel (and no instructions where to grasp or pull or pry the cover without screaming rape).

Patience. Need to wait for someone who knows.

I will be in your situation soon. I need to replace the cup-holder in my center console (scratched by those Jaguar servicemen, of course). And I have no idea how hat cup-holder body gets removed from the center console without scratching up the pretty console finish.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:46 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Given the OP has experience with computer building just try repairing the sim slot. It’s only going to be the retaining spring or the actual latch attached to the spring that has come apart. Likely won’t have to buy a replacement part.
They all insert from the front and have some retaining tabs around the edges so if you gently use a plastic pry tool you should be good. I have not done this myself but all the aux in modules seem to be the same if you look on the net. Good luck

Last edited by Borbor; 01-28-2023 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:17 AM

Thanks, that's what I think. However, I still holding out for anyone who can give me the high level on how to remove the plated part, i.e the usb/sim/lighter port. Does the port plate just pull out or is there a procedure for dismanting the cubby to do it??

Thanks and kind regards

Carl

Old 01-29-2023, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I obviously missed this for some reason. Having a 2017 coup, and now a 2020 Vert, I have never had occasion to use this sim card. What does it do?

Old 01-29-2023, 07:58 AM

I can now confirm that I've managed to pull the entire interface out of the cubby. I purchased a cheap set of plastic rendering tools (for plastering) for £4 from a local B&Q. I was then able to prize very gently the left and then the right hand two clips from above. It easily slid out and then I spent 10 minutes figuring out the three different wired connectors and detatched.

I've also carefully stripped down the part and can see the micro sim casing is bent in all sorts of odd ways (doesn't show well in the picture below). Given this, I've just ordered a £127 replacement from Norfolk Presitige Car Parts and expect that to work.

Thanks to those that responded and I hope my pictures help someone else.

Kind regards

Carl

The following users liked this post:
DJS (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 08:00 AM

For me, it enables the Sat Nav live with the InControl Pro that is part of the original car package. The sim gets the car connected to the internet (in the 2019 edition, you don't get the option to tether to an external WIFI which is a shame). This sim then can provide in car wifi and more importantly, in control apps on the display unit, such as live traffic information if you have a subscription to that.

Kind regards

Carl

Old 01-31-2023, 02:52 PM

Confirmed WORKING!

New replacement has arrived, clipped in and new Data Sim is recognised and connects car to 4G! Map live data now flowing to the device.

Kind regards

Carl

The following users liked this post:
DJS (02-01-2023)