F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm back with a few observations and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry for your continued sage with this thing. Sheesh... It might be fixed, but might not. I think you were correct to start the buy back process. You said this one didn't have a back up camera, I thought it was the law that all cars had to have one now? Maybe this one pre-dates that law? Wishing you well on your endeavors!

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I didn't read it that way at all. You were reviewing a loaner car and expressing your opinions. You hate wheels that aren't black. So what? That's a far cry from saying that anyone who buys silver wheels is an idiot, although I have silver wheels, so perhaps a bad example. A co-worker likes white cars and only seems to want white cars, so I tease him about driving a giant bar of soap. "The bar of soap" is the nickname for my Miata, by the way, because it's a white NA with hard top, and that's what it looks like.

Anyway, I had some similar feelings when I had a white 400 Sport as a loaner. Not the way I would have ordered an F-Type, as evidenced by the fact that my custom ordered F-Type is quite different. I hated the side skirts. No offense to anyone that likes them. You can have them and I don't have to. It's the differences in an otherwise familiar car that catch your attention, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

Yeah... you nailed it. And you made me laugh quite well. lol

I admit, in this heightened moment of tension for our country, politically, I am actually acutely aware of how satisfying it is to be overly nice to people, and to make them feel validated. So the idea I offended anyone, even slightly, was a surprise and disappointment. Validation is always welcome, for sure.... so you made my day. LOL bar of soap!

Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Sorry for your continued sage with this thing. Sheesh... It might be fixed, but might not. I think you were correct to start the buy back process. You said this one didn't have a back up camera, I thought it was the law that all cars had to have one now? Maybe this one pre-dates that law? Wishing you well on your endeavors!
I realize I don't even know what year my loaner was. I may have checked and forgotten, but wild. No idea.

And thank you. The key to happiness is low expectations, so while a lot of people may think I am a push over...

If my biggest problems are that my sports car is in the shop, I think I am pretty much in the 1% with first world problems. I wasn't always here, and I may not always be in this position. Understanding privilege within the notion of empathy is not a bad thing.

I'm a lucky guy when my current worst problems are having a loaner sports car I am bored with. =) You are awesome Misujerr, and I thank you for the kindness. =)

Misujerr (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I just looked it up. I had thought it was for model year 2019, but backup cameras are required in the US for all cars built after May, 2018. It's a distinction that probably prevents a manufacturer from continuing to produce "last year's model" without the update, but I don't know the actual reason.

The Bar of Soap

Uncle Fishbits (08-13-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh, I didn't know the regulation was so recent, thanks for looking it up.
Nice bar of soap there!

Old 08-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

From tech note: "Removed head and found evidence of coolant in cylinders"

This alone would make me ask for a buyback.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Added page 3. No way to know if they solved it, of course. If it never happens again, they solved it!
They opened the engine and found signs that coolant was getting into cylinders, then they found signs that it might have partially hydro locked (why else cam gears would be damaged?). I would not trust this engine.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
They opened the engine and found signs that coolant was getting into cylinders, then they found signs that it might have partially hydro locked (why else cam gears would be damaged?). I would not trust this engine.
+1. Without Magnafluxing every single engine component individually (rods, pistons, crank, etc.), there is no telling what the damage has been.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If I may digress a little further as a classical nerd and hack cellist, these fellows are actually extremely talented - having performed in competitions and won many prizes. They are going this route to make music (especially classical violin) more appealing to younger generations. They create interest to the young set and and also show their frustrations and experiences as musicians. I’ve watched many of their videos. They are Chinese Australian and it is interesting to hear the 2 accents mixed together.

https://www.twosetviolin.com/about/

Last edited by Jagged Wire; 08-12-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: deleted a sentence relating to another thread by mistake
Old 08-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I realize I don't even know what year my loaner was. I may have checked and forgotten, but wild. No idea.

And thank you. The key to happiness is low expectations, so while a lot of people may think I am a push over...

If my biggest problems are that my sports car is in the shop, I think I am pretty much in the 1% with first world problems. I wasn't always here, and I may not always be in this position. Understanding privilege within the notion of empathy is not a bad thing.

I'm a lucky guy when my current worst problems are having a loaner sports car I am bored with. =) You are awesome Misujerr, and I thank you for the kindness. =)
You make me miss Marin when you say that.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Suaro

You make me miss Marin when you say that.
Awww Suaro! I agree there are a lot of really friendly and nice people that like to vote taxes on themselves. It's also a whole bunch of white people talking about diversity, which never is not hilariously ironic. But with the open space and the relatively general fitness of the populace, there's a lot of eye candy.

however you might not miss this dealer. Even though I'm not blaming the dealer, but my car is literally back in the shop this morning with a severe coolant issue because my whole car smells like coolant and none of the coolant seems to be staying in the Reservoir. So back to this loaner, and looking forward to building out my new car.

The loaner was a 2016 380 horsepower s model automatic transmission white body black top no options.

In a 35T White F-pace, same as my base engine. I unloaded and cleaned out my F-Type like it's the last time I will ever see it. =(
Time to build my new one.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 08-13-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Gosh Fishbits, I'm in the "give it back to 'em" camp, with the horrors you've experienced. Taking it back, I would probably forever worry about it, especially when my wife was with me, or drove it alone the few times that she might -- as in when I have taken her XJR in for service. I suppose too that your decision depends on the TERMS of the buy back Jaguar offers.
Now as to which vehicle. I searched for 3 months through the brochures, and drove a couple 6's, and another V8R, to make my selection -- which was largely based upon the introduction of the AWD. That gave me confidence that I wouldn't end up sideways or into a tree on my own version of "spirited driving." And it has proven to be the case, on the twisties in and around Napa, Solano, Monterey and Lake Counties, so I remain thrilled with it. As to the AT, at first I "shifted" with the stick, especially in the curves as the paddles are a bit awkward whilst turning the steering wheel. Now, closer to 10k miles, I truly can use either -- and do so. I have not driven an F with a stick, but I've always enjoyed others -- the E Type and one of my Mk II's as Jaguar examples -- so I can appreciate your eagerness for that feature.
FWIW, if you've not driven or experienced the FT V8R AWD, and your dealer cannot find/show you one, just contact me, and I'll give you a demo ride.
Doc

Uncle Fishbits (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

My buy back has been cleared. From the point of me contacting them from a random online form, they got to me one week later on the 30th, and this is precisely 2 weeks later. The buy back part of the process is closed, and the "getting me out of this car and into a new car" will be handled by their consumer affairs division. They mentioned there could be wear and tear and mileage considerations in getting a new car.... I get it. It's nearly 40K miles since August 2015. Should I expect this to be a service oriented and enjoyable experience, or should I still consider retaining a lawyer to handle the whole experience? I don't want to be pushed around, but I think the "push around" phase is the decision whether they will help buy it back. However, I'm not interested in getting nickel and dimed after my experience, either. I wish I just had my new build out ready and picked, and send them the specs, and let them do everything.

I have front Pilot Super Sports, and rear PS4, I think... Can't remember, but I won't those tires and rims, and I want my short shifter! LOL

Oh well.

ALL OF YOUR ADVICE is superb, and helpful, and was really encouraging. Looks like it's off to a new car. Telling them the coolant was dissapearing into the engine (or somewhere) after getting it back probably didn't hurt. 2 weeks to decide on a buy back seems fast, but yeah... slam dunk of a situation. Only that slam dunks are awesome and good, usually. This means a number of months at least til I see my new, identical, car.

Speaking of, got to go play basketball!

Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
FWIW, if you've not driven or experienced the FT V8R AWD, and your dealer cannot find/show you one, just contact me, and I'll give you a demo ride.
Doc
your comments and advice and offer are all well taken. Cheers to this community. =) Thank you!