F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving the stock intake: More flow, lower IAT's & More SC noise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

OK found these images of the Project 8 ring lap car, the one with stripped interior, cage and this had a further modified intake systems:

Things to note:

- It uses a RAM AIR intake design to ram air in and keep IAT down.
- Cone filters in sealed boxes
- Solid aluminium tubes, so no intake resonator/muffler at all.

So I really hope Stuart at VAP can make us these intake tubes to give more SC whine and I shall still look at improving the snorkels to create a ram air effect whilst at same time reducing IAT.

Images attached.

Attached Thumbnails Improving the stock intake: More flow, lower IAT's & More SC noise!-img_8554.jpg   Improving the stock intake: More flow, lower IAT's & More SC noise!-img_8555.jpg   Improving the stock intake: More flow, lower IAT's & More SC noise!-maxresdefault.jpg   Improving the stock intake: More flow, lower IAT's & More SC noise!-img_8553.jpg  
Old 04-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Good shout!
Quick google does indeed reveal the Project 8 does not have silenced intake tubes, also air boxes higher up so no doubt create more noise, image attached.
Yep, the Project 8 has the air boxes up top just like my old XFR.
But even after I fitted a TCP intake (very similar to the stock Project 8 intake) to the XFR it still made bugger all intake roar or SC whine, so I doubt the moving of the air boxes up top by itself was the or even a major reason for the increased SC noise of the Project 8.
However the XFR had a big heavy bonnet/hood noise suppression blanket that the F-Type and Project 8 do not, so maybe moving the air boxes does make some difference.
I posted somewhere else that the stock F-Type intake system has 2 maybe 3 L-shaped protuberances on it and they are resonators (maybe Helmholtz maybe not) designed to reduce intake noise, and some XFR and XF SC owners have cut those resonators off and glued or plasti-welded covers over the holes, and some report a noticeable increase in intake roar and/or SC whine, so that is something someone could try on the F-Type intake system as a cheap and relatively easy mod.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, the Project 8 has the air boxes up top just like my old XFR.
But even after I fitted a TCP intake (very similar to the stock Project 8 intake) to the XFR it still made bugger all intake roar or SC whine, so I doubt the moving of the air boxes up top by itself was the or even a major reason for the increased SC noise of the Project 8.
However the XFR had a big heavy bonnet/hood noise suppression blanket that the F-Type and Project 8 do not, so maybe moving the air boxes does make some difference.
I posted somewhere else that the stock F-Type intake system has 2 maybe 3 L-shaped protuberances on it and they are resonators (maybe Helmholtz maybe not) designed to reduce intake noise, and some XFR and XF SC owners have cut those resonators off and glued or plasti-welded covers over the holes, and some report a noticeable increase in intake roar and/or SC whine, so that is something someone could try on the F-Type intake system as a cheap and relatively easy mod.

All I found was the muffled intake tubes I posted in my original post and took photos off to show people the muffler and sound reducing technology in the intake tubes, you could cover those holes inside the tube as an easy mod with say some epoxy.

But as I said to another member that I am not willing to chance just in case the engine sucked it in and as Stuart has offered to look into this and look at fabricate some intake tubes is an option we'd all feel happier about.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I removed the stock air boxes on my XJ and fitted giant cone filters with the Mina intake tube. INSANE supercharger whine. It actually startled me on the test drive. No joke, it's almost as loud as a Hellcat or Demon when in Dynamic mode. Open cone filters are the key to unlocking the noise. Leave the factory snorkels and create some sort of heatshield and you're golden.

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (06-13-2021)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
OK found these images of the Project 8 ring lap car, the one with stripped interior, cage and this had a further modified intake systems:

Things to note:

- It uses a RAM AIR intake design to ram air in and keep IAT down.
- Cone filters in sealed boxes
- Solid aluminium tubes, so no intake resonator/muffler at all.

So I really hope Stuart at VAP can make us these intake tubes to give more SC whine and I shall still look at improving the snorkels to create a ram air effect whilst at same time reducing IAT.

Images attached.

I want one!

Old 04-25-2018, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by John-Handy

I want one!

Yeah that is a very good intake that Jaguar have put on the Project 8 ring car as its got zero sound deadening, so your going to get lots of intake noise/roar along with SC whine.

It also uses cone filters for more surface area, but then ti prevent heatsoak they are enclosed in carbon fibre enclosures and it looks like the intake tubes themselves are ceramic coated to reflect heat and help prevent maf heatsoak (not so much an issue on F-Type as the mafs are not near the engine.

It also got a proper RAM AIR setup happening, so Jaguar must of felt that there is a benefit to that setup, no doubt because like I said it can create additional horsepower at high speeds and well a lap of the ring has plenty of 100mph plus sections and of course the setup will help keep IAT's minimum.

As it looks like the Velossa Tech won't happen, not enough people interested, I am going to try and make my own ram air system and in the meantime hoping Stuart at VAP can make us some nice ceramic coated intake tubes to give us more SC whine.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The vanilla V6 XE has air boxes on top as well, as well as what you are referring to as the "ram air" intake opening at the front of the hood. Only difference in the intake opening of the P8 is that it seems to be carbon fiber, which is awesome.

Two differences:
1) filter design is cone-like (P8) vs. box-like (V6 XE)

2) I' m noticing is that the P8 doesn't have those resonator things hanging off the side. Check out this image of the V6 XE below, and you will see on the left and right intake tubing, towards the engine, two little L shaped things hanging off.

Also Gibbo: in one of those pics of the P8 you posted (the one without carbon fiber), it appears to be being worked on. The coolant lines are disconnected from the intercooler and the intake tubing is detached from the opening of the supercharger.

Last edited by alphakinase; 04-25-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:57 AM

Check this out! I google "ITG intake" because I noticed the little 'itg' logo on one of those intake tubes...

ITG appears to be an intake system manufacturer for race applications.

ITG | High Performance Automotive Air Filters

So maybe they know what's up with the P8 setup, or how this could be applied to the F-type/V6 XE?

more goodies: http://itgairfilters.com/category/ma...ction-systems/

Last edited by alphakinase; 04-25-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
The vanilla V6 XE has air boxes on top as well, as well as what you are referring to as the "ram air" intake opening at the front of the hood. Only difference in the intake opening of the P8 is that it seems to be carbon fiber, which is awesome.

Two differences:
1) filter design is cone-like (P8) vs. box-like (V6 XE)

2) I' m noticing is that the P8 doesn't have those resonator things hanging off the side. Check out this image of the V6 XE below, and you will see on the left and right intake tubing, towards the engine, two little L shaped things hanging off.

Also Gibbo: in one of those pics of the P8 you posted (the one without carbon fiber), it appears to be being worked on. The coolant lines are disconnected from the intercooler and the intake tubing is detached from the opening of the supercharger.

That is a still from this video:

The above is the Project 8 you can purchase, hence regular ABS air boxes with panel filters.

The still images showing the carbon RAM AIR setup is from the Project 8 ring car, of course the mass production cars are a little different and as such ditch the carbon fibre for regular ABS plastic intake parts, but RAM AIR system is still functional.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:38 AM

Gotcha.

The ring P8 car setup appears to have an intake system manufactured by ITG, as I mentioned in my subsequent post. It might be worth giving them a call/email and seeing what they know...

Old 04-25-2018, 11:53 AM

Gotcha.

The ring P8 car setup appears to have an intake system manufactured by ITG, as I mentioned in my subsequent post. It might be worth giving them a call/email and seeing what they know...

Hawk eyes!

Great spot, ITG are actually quite local to me, so I shall get in touch with them to see if they are willing to build a complete intake system for our cars that incorporate RAM AIR, carbon and their filters.

ITG also tend to use foam based filters, so are not oiled, so no chance of maf fouling, probably a reason why Jaguar used them on the prototype car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gibbo205:
Panthro (06-26-2018), VelossaTech (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello everyone!

My name is Dan and I am the owner of Velossa Tech Design and Velossa Tech Engineering. I am so thankful that Gibbo was able to reach out to you folks and try to put together a product to improve airflow for your vehicle at high speeds. He was a loyal customer of ours and has experience with our products, he ran our BIG MOUTH ram air intake on his Mustang with great results. We specialize in high speed airflow ducting and inlets mainly, we do not make full intake systems, just highly aero optimized inlet ducts and ram inlets to feed your current intakes.

We produce all products here in the USA and have grown into a global company these past few years with help from customers like Andrew (Gibbo). I personally wanted to introduce myself and show you guys some of our products and what we can do for the Jaguar platform. I love the F-type and considered getting one not long ago, as a side note

Shown below are some of the ram inlets we make for other cars, these inlets are aero optimized for smooth uninterrupted high speed flow, this high speed air is allowed to stagnate in the airbox and boost mass air flow to your current stock or aftermarket intake.

I think the most relevant platform to the jaguar was our Mustang ram inlet ducts.

These ducts are great for guys looking to add some better laminar flow to the intake as well as looking fresh and not over the top!

The mustang has a dual ram inlet kit shown above, the actual intake is only on one side on this example, the passenger side is just a symmetric part for the aesthetic appeal. If we pursue this for the jaguar, it will have a similar appearance with both inlets being functionally aerodynamic.

Here is an example of our ram inlets for the Ford Hot Hatchbacks, these are insanely popular and this is what put us on the map.

We offer a plethora of colors, if you see something that doesnt quite match, we can find it.

We have 3D scanning and engineering design capability so our parts will fit perfectly and perform even better (we use CFD simulations to optimize our flow paths, my previous career was an aerospace flow path analyst for the turbine industry, I run all the simulations personally).

We also collect our own data to validate performance.

The following 2 users liked this post by VelossaTech:
Gibbo205 (04-25-2018), Panthro (06-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:30 PM

Nice to see you here Dan.

I suggest you read all the post here as members here have confirm my snorkels are actually different to a regular V6/V8 snorkels, guess they changed them slightly on SVR so something to think about, maybe a part which fits all or on this one I take a back seat as you've got a far greater chance of 10-20 snorkels for V6/V8 models as there is zero chance of 10-20 SVR owners, think we only have a handful of SVR owners on the forum.

Of course I'd be happy with the regular V8 part anyway and adapting it to make it work with the SVR snorkels as I am quite flexible and have plenty of experience working on cars.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Check this out! I google "ITG intake" because I noticed the little 'itg' logo on one of those intake tubes...

ITG appears to be an intake system manufacturer for race applications.

ITG High Performance Automotive Air Filters

So maybe they know what's up with the P8 setup, or how this could be applied to the F-type/V6 XE?

more goodies: Induction Systems Maxogen ITG
I am familiar with them. I have an ITG system on my LS3 Land Cruiser.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd

I am familiar with them. I have an ITG system on my LS3 Land Cruiser.
Nice. They appear to be working directly with JLR to some extent since their intake is on the Project 8... it looks pretty well done too. I hope they can help us out.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Mina Gallery already make an intake tube kit for the 3.0 SC XF which looks very similar to the Project 8 ring one (except it uses the stock ABS air boxes), see here: Jaguar XF V6 Supercharged Performance Intake Tube Kit - Mina Gallery Inc
Also, it seems that you can get it ceramic coated, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-here-200652/
It looks like it could be adapted to fit the F-Type without too much trouble.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:07 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

wasn't there someone on here who had one made by Mina for the F Type IIRC

Old 04-26-2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Mina Gallery already make an intake tube kit for the 3.0 SC XF which looks very similar to the Project 8 ring one (except it uses the stock ABS air boxes), see here: Jaguar XF V6 Supercharged Performance Intake Tube Kit - Mina Gallery Inc
Also, it seems that you can get it ceramic coated, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-here-200652/
It looks like it could be adapted to fit the F-Type without too much trouble.

Yeah similar was discussed with Stuart@VelocityAP and he was going to look into it, but not heard anything since.

I guess it depends what Stuart wants to do but on the V8's, well at least my SVR the intake has the following bits that look like sound suppression technology:

Hermoltz resonators either side of throttle body:

So the question is how much impact are those having on the sound?

Mufflers / suppression intake tubes after maf

The holes and extra thick walls are there to suppress intake noise and it is proven these definitely reduce the SC whine, judging by results from Eventuri intake system which does away with these and uses cone filters.

For me I'd like to see a module system offered where customers have options, for example:

1. Aluminium ceramic coated intakes just replacing the suppression tubes.
2. Complete aluminium ceramic coated intake tubing from throttle body right down to the maf tubes, so does away with both L-shaped resonators and the muffer intake pipes.
3. Then a 3rd module option that follows on from option 2 above but does away with the air boxes and is a cone filter, in short this would be replicating the eventuri system but would be complete all the way to throttle body, again from aluminium with ceramic coating to keep cost lower than carbon fibre system.

I myself prefer option 2, I want to keep the stock air boxes with panel element filters which could be upgraded to K&N for those who wish but by keeping the enclosed system I can then create the RAM air system and in theory benefit from lower IAT, ram air and of course enclosed air boxes stay cleaner and dryer.

Of course option 1 is the cheapest solution and should give a boost in both intake and SC whine, but option 2 also eliminates the L-shaped resonators but it is unknown exactly how these effect the noise.

Of course the cheaper option would be just option 1 but supplied with some plugs so you can just saw off the L-shaped resonators and then plug the holes.

For me my perfect idea of re-engineering the stock system would be:

1. Remove the L-shaped resonators and plug the holes, also cheap.
2. VAP intake ceramic coated tubes replacing the muffler tubes after maf.
3. Higher flow panel filters, K&N or say ITG
4. Snorkel extensions to catch more cold air and to RAM more air into the stock air boxes.

That is what I'd like to achieve, a touch extra flow, slightly lower IAT's should help maintain full power longer and generate a lot more intake and SC noise.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

following this thread with interes

Old 04-26-2018, 12:01 PM

See below for diagram of V6 XE intake.

The XE setup does not appear to have intake mufflers. The supercharger whine is not particularly apparent on the V6 XE, when compared to a V6 F-type which does have intake mufflers. So are the intake mufflers in the F-type really doing that much?

Both setups DO have resonators right before the throttle body. Are the resonators killing the whine?

https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...0-%20Liter-GAS

Quick Reply: Improving the stock intake: More flow, lower IAT's & More SC noise!