Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9

Unhinged....you have the proper handle, you are indeed “unhinged”. Do you really believe that any tune, regardless of what horsepower super tuner does it, can be unrecognizable to a trained warranty technician?

First, thank you for validating my handle.
Second, apologies for not being more clear. The mitigation isn’t that the VAP Tune is undetectable, but rather that their tune is not likely to pose significant risk to the engine. (My local tuner and I carefully observed the engine parameters as we tested the Tune on the dyno). Of course, one still needs to be willing to accept the risk of not having a drivetrain warranty in place.

Originally Posted by lizzardo
"I never said that." -- Unhingd
That be true too.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-04-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
You would do well not to put words into Unhingd's mouth - he's one of the more rational people on this board. I suggest you reread his post.
Well, I just did reread Unhingd post and you are correct, I jumped to conclusions. This particular subject has been a hot button with me for years and unfortunately, I reacted to the first couple of sentences without reading Unhingd post thoroughly. Thanks for catching my mistake.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Ambien posting?
increase dosage.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:16 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Well, I just did reread Unhingd post and you are correct, I jumped to conclusions. This particular subject has been a hot button with me for years and unfortunately, I reacted to the first couple of sentences without reading Unhingd post thoroughly. Thanks for catching my mistake.
Understandable - there's been a lot of discussion of this here over the years, from a lot of knowledgeable folks. I'm not one of them - everything I know, I learned here.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Understandable - there's been a lot of discussion of this here over the years, from a lot of knowledgeable folks. I'm not one of them - everything I know, I learned here.
I learned quite a lot before here. I learned more here. If I ever stop learning, it's time to dig a hole for that long dirt nap.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by SGREENLYN
If you want cheap performance that will bury anything in a showroom under $400-500K, I whole recommend picking up a used 135i coupe. The convertible is too heavy with its massive rectangle-stock steel straps bolted over the bottom to hold it together - "German Engineering." They go for ~$10K in excellent condition. Add a $4K for a tune and a few bolt ons and your at refined 610 whp running mid 11s. Its a small base too, but you can achieve 23 psi at around 1500 RPM (stock is 8.5 psi for 300hp).
Based on math; assuming a .55 B.S.F.C, 12.0x1 AFR, .95 VE and 130F charge temp. post intercooler: you’d require 40.77 PSI of boost to get 718 bhp (assuming a 15% drivetrain loss from your 610whp claim). Those 135is must really be magic to hit those numbers with 17.77 psi missing. What a bargain!!!

The following users liked this post:
sparky fuze (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

This thread is all over the place... All Jag OEM wheels are very heavy Dropping 40lbs on wheels alone is very simple and not very expensive. As you move to forged wheels the price goes up and the weight savings go above 55lbs. I have not looked into CF wheels but I suspect that the few extra lbs. you save are going to be extremely expensive.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Without voiding the factory warranty? No.
This is really the only post that needed to be said! LOL

Dave

Old 06-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE = SGREENLYN; 1906749] Derecha. "Poder" es un término demasiado amplio. Mi V6S produce respetables 380 HP, pero debido a la base pequeña de 3L, el sobrealimentador lineal de 8 velocidades y el descuidado, no hay forma de girar las ruedas con 4 nuevos Mich Pilots. Este automóvil no puede girar la rueda en ningún modo, incluido el modo de lanzamiento. Es ligeramente superior a los reclamados 4.8s 0-60, ajustado por día estándar. Mi 5700 libras 305HP Armada puede iluminar las llantas al infierno y volver, simplemente manteniendo el freno en la unidad. Se trata de dónde y cómo se entregan la potencia y el par motor.

Como dice Jay Leno, "Horsepower vende automóviles pero el torque gana carreras".

Y como HP es Torque x RPM / 5252, un motor sobrealimentado de base pequeña lineal no tiene un par fuera de línea y nunca lo hará.

Si desea un rendimiento económico que enterrará cualquier cosa en una sala de exposición de menos de $ 400-500K, recomiendo recoger un coupé 135i usado. El descapotable es demasiado pesado con sus enormes correas de acero rectangulares atornilladas en la parte inferior para mantenerlo unido: "Ingeniería alemana". Van por ~ $ 10K en excelentes condiciones. Agregue $ 4K por una canción y algunos pernos y su refinado 610 whp corriendo a mediados de los 11s. También es una base pequeña, pero puedes alcanzar 23 psi a alrededor de 1500 RPM (el stock es de 8.5 psi para 300hp).

Luego, prepárese para donar su donación anual de $ 10-20K al programa de bienestar "Ingeniería alemana". Es por eso que la mayoría de los coches alemanes de alto rendimiento no tienen ningún valor fuera de garantía. [/ Quote]

Hi, so far I have not subscribed, I just went to read about the F Type, since I plan to buy one in a few months.

I have read you on more than one occasion certain things about your 135i and I have already decided to subscribe to answer you. I have a 335i but with N54 (the truly potent engine of the two as you should know). I love empowerment and I grind what I have heard. Things like maximum turbo blowing / NM at 1500 rpm !? Benefits far superior to the F Type R with 420 cvs? more than 600 cvs with $ 4000?

I do not intend to start a discussion, I just do not understand why you say those things

Old 06-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

T-Mack,
Welcome to the forum. Which F-Type model are you considering?

Old 06-05-2018, 01:19 AM

[QUOTE = Unhingd; 1907435] T-Mack,
Bienvenido al foro. ¿Qué modelo F-Type está considerando? [/ Quote]
Hi Unhingd,

I've read you a lot during the last month. I really like what you have done to your car .

About my future F Type, first I wanted a V6 340, knowing that I could get 60 cvs just with tune. Then, I thought of the S, for the LSD... And now I think I have to buy an R because I want to have almost all the extras, I want to run similar (or more: D) to my 335i with 440 cvs and I'm in love with that sound! If I buy a V6 I will spend a lot of money on tune. I like that but seeing that the R does not cost much more, I think it's my option.

Regards.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
T-Mack,
Welcome to the forum. Which F-Type model are you considering?
I don't know what happen with quotes!

Old 06-05-2018, 02:33 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Mack
[QUOTE = Unhingd; 1907435] T-Mack,
Bienvenido al foro. ¿Qué modelo F-Type está considerando? [/ Quote]
Hi Unhingd,

I've read you a lot during the last month. I really like what you have done to your car .

About my future F Type, first I wanted a V6 340, knowing that I could get 60 cvs just with tune. Then, I thought of the S, for the LSD... And now I think I have to buy an R because I want to have almost all the extras, I want to run similar (or more: D) to my 335i with 440 cvs and I'm in love with that sound! If I buy a V6 I will spend a lot of money on tune. I like that but seeing that the R does not cost much more, I think it's my option.

Regards.
There is a thing no one ever said about f-type base and S, the difference is not only the software that put 40 hp over the 340, but the gearbox has shorter gears in the S by about 5%. This way the S is faster about 5% in acceleration, but even in max speed, because the base in gear 7 you get too low RPM by about 300. So the S tuned is faster than the base tuned !

Old 06-05-2018, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by spegor
There is a thing no one ever said about f-type base and S, the difference is not only the software that put 40 hp over the 340, but the gearbox has shorter gears in the S by about 5%. This way the S is faster about 5% in acceleration, but even in max speed, because the base in gear 7 you get too low RPM by about 300. So the S tuned is faster than the base tuned !
Great point, I did not know anything. I do not think I'll win that 5% acceleration but it's definitely a good thing.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member

I think you are making the right choice going with an R, especially if you are buying a used car. If you are interested in power, the only reason in my mind to buy a V6 is to get the manual transmission.

Originally Posted by spegor
The difference in gearing is actually in the differential (3.31:1 versus 3.15:1). The ratios in the gearbox are identical.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I balked at spending the extra $22K to go from R to SVR for the extra 25 hp.

But besides the extra aerodynamic parts/features, lighter wheels & brakes, does anyone know exactly what Jaguar do with the engine to "remap & recalibrated" the 550 hp 5.0-liter V8 up to 575 hp...?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
I balked at spending the extra $22K to go from R to SVR for the extra 25 hp.

But besides the extra aerodynamic parts/features, lighter wheels & brakes, does anyone know exactly what Jaguar do with the engine to "remap & recalibrated" the 550 hp 5.0-liter V8 up to 575 hp...?
I bought my R for the same reason even though the difference was closer to $10K street price. I would have preferred the diamond seat stitching and the rear wing but other than that I feel it's a wash. The extra 25HP and slightly lighter weight didn't really impress me in any way

Not certain what your question is but the answer is likely simple. They simply program the ECM very slightly differently (bump the rev limiter perhaps?) but VAP and others can tune these to 650 simply by adding a pulley and their tune. Of course, the SVR would retain the engine warranty whereas any 3rd-party tune would potentially void at least a portion of coverage.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Local tuner charges $900 for V6 tune up
& $1100 for V8 tune: "rating for the ECU upgrade is 617HP and 557LB-FT of torque"
they also sell pulley for $150

Guess I'll wait until my 5 yr warranty is up...

Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I think you are making the right choice going with an R, especially if you are buying a used car. If you are interested in power, the only reason in my mind to buy a V6 is to get the manual transmission.

The difference in gearing is actually in the differential (3.31:1 versus 3.15:1). The ratios in the gearbox are identical.
I will probably wait for the end of summer and I will go for an R. As in Spain there are almost no F Types (I have only seen an R!) I will buy it in Germany. That is going to make it more expensive but I can choose color and options almost to measure. I have never had AT, this will be my first time ... I hope I do not miss the MT because I really like to use the lever.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Received 118 Likes on 29 Posts
Talking

I will probably wait for the end of summer and I will go for an R. As in Spain there are almost no F Types (I have only seen an R!) I will buy it in Germany. That is going to make it more expensive but I can choose color and options almost to measure. I have never had AT, this will be my first time ... I hope I do not miss the MT because I really like to use the lever.
I think the auto in the R is superb, and I usually do not miss the manual one bit. I guess years of driving modified, heavy-clutched cars with turbos and all that have worn me down. Plus, living in NYC, the traffic getting in and out when I want to bring it out on weekends is pretty much always bad. I was also a pretty slow shifter, because the auto shifts way faster than I ever could have with a proper manual.

Quick Reply: Increasing Horsepower