Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Increasing Horsepower

I have a 2017 R with factory 550 hp.
Is there an inexpensive & safe way to increase hp without voiding the factory warranty...?

Thanks,

Old 06-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Without voiding the factory warranty? No.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

But some guy in another thread claims you can improve your 0-60 with a gas pedal widget... </s>

Old 06-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
But some guy in another thread claims you can improve your 0-60 with a gas pedal widget... </s>
lol.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Easy 2 to 3 tenths by opening the throttle body to WOT a lot sooner. It's included in the all Jag tunes. Common knowledge that opening the throttle sooner adds performance.

Last edited by SGREENLYN; 06-02-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Banned

I don't recommend the remap hardware in the video. On R+ it only gets rid of most of Dynamic mode's lag. There's still some left, although most would find the R+ map too violent, I find it almost quick enough to be enjoyable. Its a huge improvement on Dynamic mode's laziness, but two of my other tuned cars use different kinds of T-Map hardware and both completely eliminate the throttle lag on the most aggressive setting. Sadly, both tunes added a T-Map feature long after I bought the T-Mappers.

Also, your R will benefit much more than my V6S. Because opening the throttle body sooner increases the delta between actual RPM and the throttle body position, and an R has some torque available at low RPM to exploit by an earlier WOT position, unlike my V6S. Sadly. The V6S can be improved a little, but as you can see in the video, it's just too under-powered. Nothing can fix that.

How do you like your R? I drove an R for a few days but frankly felt it wasn't a strong enough car for the money. So I bought the V6S on pure looks, sound, and luxury. Sounds like you might be in the same boat. Lemme know if you find a cost effective way to plus-up the HP and I might reconsider.

Last edited by SGREENLYN; 06-02-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

If you don't like SGREENLYN's snake oil, Velocity AP will get you tune you can install yourself for $1000 (or sometimes less on a rare sale) which gets you to 605hp, I'd call that a decent $/hp upgrade. Used by many, its considered safe, but it will cause warranty complications.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chawumba
If you don't like SGREENLYN's snake oil, Velocity AP will get you tune you can install yourself for $1000 (or sometimes less on a rare sale) which gets you to 605hp, I'd call that a decent $/hp upgrade. Used by many, its considered safe, but it will cause warranty complications.
Velocity AP tunes include a more aggressive T-Map to improve performance via speed to WOT.

The R should get a lot more performance out of VAPs faster T-Map than a V6S.

So the question isn't as simple as one approach or the other. They overlap at very different price points and both include a more aggressive T-Map. I can't imagine anyone paying big bucks for a minor tune (claimed 42 hp) without taking advantage of a pulley. So more like $2100 for the obvious knee in the value curve.

Last edited by SGREENLYN; 06-02-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Unfortunately, at least in internal combustion vehicles, in any given vehicle, the only things that makes horsepower are air and fuel. The wizards at the car company's warranty department will look at the ECU mapping and onboard memories to see if there have been any horsepower modifications should an owner experience ANY drive train failures during the warranty period....that's not only the engine, it's the torque converter, the transmission and the differential(s). And if someone says that you can disguise that fooling around, they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. More HP is an adrenaline rush and many/most enthusiasts always desire more horsepower....saw this with my 545 HP GTR, 650HP Z06 and 707 HP Hellcat....most all wanted more POWER! If you feel like gambling, there's numerous sources that can help that fix. Just be completely aware, a power train failure within the warranty period will most likely be yours to own with zero factory help if you decide to power up.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
I have a 2017 R with factory 550 hp.
Is there an inexpensive & safe way to increase hp without voiding the factory warranty...?

Thanks,
You may be able to get some performance increase with a crank pulley without a tune as the pulley will help increase PSI to a certain point at which the ECM will halt it but others could tell you better

Don't fall for the snake oil throttle crap SGREENLYN is being paid to promote by one of those vendors.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Unfortunately, at least in internal combustion vehicles, in any given vehicle, the only things that makes horsepower are air and fuel. The wizards at the car company's warranty department will look at the ECU mapping and onboard memories to see if there have been any horsepower modifications should an owner experience ANY drive train failures during the warranty period....that's not only the engine, it's the torque converter, the transmission and the differential(s). And if someone says that you can disguise that fooling around, they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. More HP is an adrenaline rush and many/most enthusiasts always desire more horsepower....saw this with my 545 HP GTR, 650HP Z06 and 707 HP Hellcat....most all wanted more POWER! If you feel like gambling, there's numerous sources that can help that fix. Just be completely aware, a power train failure within the warranty period will most likely be yours to own with zero factory help if you decide to power up.
This be true. The risk, though, can be partially mitigated by relying on a reputable tuner (e.g. VAP).

Old 06-02-2018, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SGREENLYN
I don't recommend the remap hardware in the video. On R+ it only gets rid of most of Dynamic mode's lag. There's still some left, although most would find the R+ map too violent, I find it almost quick enough to be enjoyable. Its a huge improvement on Dynamic mode's laziness, but two of my other tuned cars use different kinds of T-Map hardware and both completely eliminate the throttle lag on the most aggressive setting. Sadly, both tunes added a T-Map feature long after I bought the T-Mappers.

Also, your R will benefit much more than my V6S. Because opening the throttle body sooner increases the delta between actual RPM and the throttle body position, and an R has some torque available at low RPM to exploit by an earlier WOT position, unlike my V6S. Sadly. The V6S can be improved a little, but as you can see in the video, it's just too under-powered. Nothing can fix that.

How do you like your R? I drove an R for a few days but frankly felt it wasn't a strong enough car for the money. So I bought the V6S on pure looks, sound, and luxury. Sounds like you might be in the same boat. Lemme know if you find a cost effective way to plus-up the HP and I might reconsider.
Time to "put up or shut up" on "supposedly owning a v6S as none of us on here have seen yours and your claims are illogical (to be kind)

Old 06-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Time to "put up or shut up" on "supposedly owning a v6S as none of us on here have seen yours and your claims are illogical (to be kind)
You mean you’re not buying “the R was too slow for me, so I got a V6S” argument? Seems odd.

Is this the same guy that said the V6S could easily be made to be faster than the SVR...by simply removing the motor and having it completely rebuilt into basically an all new race engine, adding forged components, a larger supercharger, among other things? Sans warranty. Easy.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ndabunka
So this isn't a Jaguar?

What is it? Are you a little crazy? When you think people are building counterfeit Jaguars to race them virtually just to fool you, you might be a touch paranoid.

Last edited by SGREENLYN; 06-02-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Banned

Ok you caught me... I have two identical F-Types. And two identical me's...

Old 06-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

The least expensive tune (but not entirely safe) that unleashes the beast in my car is:
Emotional Rescue by the Stones.
Riding the desert on a fine Arab Charger.

Try reducing weight of wheels, tires. Consider exhaust from Stuart of APtunnig. He is a master and worked alongside the guys from Jaguar.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The least expensive tune (but not entirely safe) that unleashes the beast in my car is:
Emotional Rescue by the Stones.
Riding the desert on a fine Arab Charger.

Try reducing weight of wheels, tires. Consider exhaust from Stuart of APtunnig. He is a master and worked alongside the guys from Jaguar.
​​​​​The OP asked a question. Anyone have an answer? Its a good question, everyone go back and read it. I have asked the same thing. Rebuilding the car is not inexpensive.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I answered it.
"Try reducing weight of wheels, tires. Consider exhaust from Stuart of APtunnig. He is a master and worked alongside the guys from Jaguar."

Old 06-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

SinF also answered it in post 2: No.
Q&C has some good thoughts to improve performance, but none of them really improve power. 200 cell down cats would, but those require a potentially drivetrain warranty voiding tune to avoid a CEL.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-02-2018 at 10:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
DPelletier (06-04-2018), Queen and Country (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I answered it.
"Try reducing weight of wheels, tires. Consider exhaust from Stuart of APtunnig. He is a master and worked alongside the guys from Jaguar."
Gimme an estimate for CF wheels, lighter tires, and a lighter exaust with the same or more flow?

Whats that good for, 30 pounds?

Jay Leno says he'd" rather lose the weight for a few grand.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (06-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Increasing Horsepower