F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key removed from FOB

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key removed from FOB

so i was taking my keys out my pocket and accidently dropped it on the floor and popped the side of the fob, lo and behold my "valet" key or whatever it's called is missing.

i've given this key to car washers and valets, I'm assuming one of them stole the key.

Has this happened to anyone?

I guess I need to have Jaguar redo my locks anyway to avoid this in the future or do i need to check everytime i hand someone my keys?

Old 08-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 958 Likes on 717 Posts

I think you mean the "emergency" key. It's probably got a real name, but that will open the door if the fob's battery is dead. The fob is still required to make the car operate though, and to disable the alarm.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks so just need to be cognizant not to leave anything valuable in the car in areas that's i frequent

Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

My fob is stitched into a leather fob cover. I'll know immediately if someone tampered with the e-key. (It'll also be a hassle if I ever need to use the key).

Old 08-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perfectson
thanks so just need to be cognizant not to leave anything valuable in the car in areas that's i frequent
If you know where it was stolen, complain to the owner. Crooked valets are just as much his problem. I'll be checking my key for the emergency key from now on.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Why would a valet even steal the emergency key? The have no idea where you live, nor can that key start the car. I don't understand the motive.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
Why would a valet even steal the emergency key? The have no idea where you live, nor can that key start the car. I don't understand the motive.
Just a stupid crook hoping you come to that place again. He can't even steal the car with it, and the alarm will go off after he opens the door. If complain to the police also (if you know where it was stolen) to they try to catch the crook in a sting.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by MalibuFtype
Just a stupid crook hoping you come to that place again. He can't even steal the car with it, and the alarm will go off after he opens the door. If complain to the police also (if you know where it was stolen) to they try to catch the crook in a sting.
If you come to the place again.....you hand him the key.

Only Ryan Lochte would come up with this plan.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:46 AM

Who know what the crooked valet intended. Some criminals are impulsive fools. Valet minions probably only work part time so maybe this monkey is waiting in ambush at the joint when he's not officially working.

Smart crooks exploit the key fob for keyless entry using signal amplifiers (see this in wired mag https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-...ignition-hack/ ). The amplifier works for fobs within 100 yards of the car. This company sells a fob guard (FobGuard?: Ideal Faraday Cage to Protect Car Keyless Entry Fobs ); a $30 Faraday bag for the key... Won't help with crooked valets. I don't know how effective this fob guard thing is, but I might get one just in case. Unfortunately (fortunately), I don't know any professional car thieves to test its efficacy.

Last edited by MalibuFtype; 08-22-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I don't know how effective this fob guard thing is.
I don't know how effective is the linked FobGuard product is, but I created my own by using metal box and lining it with electrostatic bags filled with tin foil. To test this, bring the box next to the car - if you can't open while being right next to it, key signal boosters will have very hard time getting any signal to boost.

Unfortunately, signal boosting isn't the only type of attack against remote FOBs, just most common one and least sophisticated.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
I don't know how effective is the linked FobGuard product is, but I created my own by using metal box and lining it with electrostatic bags filled with tin foil. To test this, bring the box next to the car - if you can't open while being right next to it, key signal boosters will have very hard time getting any signal to boost.

Unfortunately, signal boosting isn't the only type of attack against remote FOBs, just most common one and least sophisticated.
The article says the boost is cheap. Please list the other types of attack. There are few thefts in Malibu during the winter so I'm not too worried, but it's always good to know how to thwart the villains.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Please list the other types of attack.
1. Adding another key to the authorized list using pirated version of dealer's tools. This requires physical access to the car's OBD port. Double-locking will slow them down. Locking OBD port with a specific lock will slow them down a great deal. This attack is relatively rare and sophisticated.

2. Jamming the key while capturing active button press event. Once you attempt to unlock the car again, first signal is replayed and second one is stored to be used later. This gives attacker one valid 'code' to unlock the car. Typically, this attack plays out by jamming your keyless go, forcing you to press lock-unlock couple times then following you until you park the car and taking it there. Once you cycle your key without signal being captured old codes expire and will no longer work. To counter this attack - always use door handle to lock the car, and if keyless go 'misbehave' for whatever reason forcing you to click unlock, drive into underground parking garage and cycle lock-unlock couple times. If they follow you into underground garage it will be very obvious.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
To counter this attack - always use door handle to lock the car, and if keyless go 'misbehave' for whatever reason forcing you to click unlock, drive into underground parking garage and cycle lock-unlock couple times. If they follow you into underground garage it will be very obvious.
Hmmm...I've never used the fob buttons for anything. I just leave it in my pocket and tap the handles, but thanks for the info.