Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License Plate Frame Holes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Frame Holes

Hello all,

First time poster...I own a 2016 AWD V6 S Coupe in Storm Gray with int/ext black pack, 20” black tornado wheels, camel leather interior.

Has anyone had any luck filling holes left behind by license plate frames on the front grille of their car? As you can see in the photo, there are FIVE holes where a bracket was held into place on the front of the car.

Ive considered bumper plugs, but there are just so many holes here...thought it would look awkward.

has anyone replaced this piece in total? Was it easy, costly, etc? Some guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 02-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanMc
Hello all,

First time poster...I own a 2016 AWD V6 S Coupe in Storm Gray with int/ext black pack, 20” black tornado wheels, camel leather interior.

Has anyone had any luck filling holes left behind by license plate frames on the front grille of their car? As you can see in the photo, there are FIVE holes where a bracket was held into place on the front of the car.

Ive considered bumper plugs, but there are just so many holes here...thought it would look awkward.

has anyone replaced this piece in total? Was it easy, costly, etc? Some guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
Cant see the pic, but in your case just get it wrapped to cover the holes, easy done.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Yes, Ryan, I had this done, and for the same reason. My first plan was to sand the holes smooth (that was easy) fill them and repaint the bar in situ. But while the bar appears to simply be smooth black plastic, it is in fact factory-painted - this became clear when I lightly sanded the entire bar to get rid of stone dings. The entire front end had also suffered some light stone damage so in the end I opted for a professional repair of the entire area. The entire bumper assembly was removed and the bar was removed for the shop to fill the holes and repaint in gloss black...but the shop suggested that their labour time to do this made the difference between that work and a brand new piece very small, given the overall cost of removing, repainting the bumper and reassembly (to factory standards or better).The new grille bar (T2R2827 - the one with the front park sensors) cost $365.00 CAD. I opted for a new piece, and glad that I did. I did inquire about having the bar wrapped but the two wrapping shops I consulted did not think (after examining the bar on the car) that it would be successful in the long run.
In progress:

and finished: gorgeous:

Last edited by sov211; 02-18-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Mine came with four number plate holes, two of which I reused to mount my new plate but the other two are out to the sides, halfway between the edge of the plate and the parking sensor.
I also found that they are damn near impossible to repair being thinly painted ABS plastic.
In the end I gave up and simply put a small black self-tapper screw in each one, the same type of screws I used to mount the number plate.
Almost impossible to see from a distance but obvious close up, but still a lot better than the bare holes.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:34 PM
Default Thank you!

Great thoughts...more expensive than I’d hoped, but looks like full replacement may be the way to go. Thank you!

Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If you are referring to the horizontal center bar across the front grille, a number of forum members have taken theirs off to mimic the look of the Project 7. Maybe someone is willing to part with theirs?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
If you are referring to the horizontal center bar across the front grille, a number of forum members have taken theirs off to mimic the look of the Project 7. Maybe someone is willing to part with theirs?

same priblem. Except 6 holes. I would love to replace it.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
YES!! Any takers? I’d be happy to pay. Hit me up!

Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 PM
Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Cant see the pic, but in your case just get it wrapped to cover the holes, easy done.
I have to agree with Powerhouse. Get it wrapped in high gloss black wrap. It can be done at a fraction of the cost of replacing and installing a new bumper. I replaced mine with a custom fabricated carbon fiber bumper bar and had it clear wrapped for protection. Unfortunately, the mounts for the sensors had to be cut from the plastic bumper - otherwise you could have mine...

Old 02-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanMc

YES!! Any takers? I’d be happy to pay. Hit me up!
I'm never going back, happy to sell mine - no license plate holes, but it does have the front sensor holes. PM me if interested.