F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery intake kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

will this increase the supercharger whine?

The following users liked this post:
bfarrell (08-16-2020)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
I’m guessing yes, since the silencer sections won’t be there anymore.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-13-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, but probably no more than another pound or two. I will weigh carefully.

But you have lost loads of added weight by removing the OEM filters right?

Old 07-14-2019, 01:32 AM
Tel

Originally Posted by Holy F type

Should increase the high frequency noise and the low down induction 'roar'.

The silencers and resonators in the OEM plastic items are designed to remove those two factors.

How noticeable it would be to the human ear in the cockpit is questionable.

I don't really care too much, what matters to me is shedding weight, and the engine bay looking like an engineered area rather than a digital, plastic, robot created POS ;-)

Old 07-14-2019, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Should increase the high frequency noise and the low down induction 'roar'.

The silencers and resonators in the OEM plastic items are designed to remove those two factors.

How noticeable it would be to the human ear in the cockpit is questionable.

I don't really care too much, what matters to me is shedding weight, and the engine bay looking like an engineered area rather than a digital, plastic, robot created POS ;-)
I've commented about this before and never got a response but I have trouble getting my head around how a different induction tube set-up could possibly increase SC whine. Induction roar most definitely yes but SC whine??? I suspect many here are conflating the two.
In a past life I had a couple of NA V6 cars and I experimented with removing the intake snorkels on them and the induction roar became insane, very loud and very deep.
But I didn't leave them that way for long as it seemed very likely the intake air was now a fair bit hotter seeing as the intake opening was now well and truly in the engine bay vs the snorkel picking up outside air.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:33 AM
Tel
Originally Posted by OzXFR
I've commented about this before and never got a response but I have trouble getting my head around how a different induction tube set-up could possibly increase SC whine. Induction roar most definitely yes but SC whine??? I suspect many here are conflating the two.
In a past life I had a couple of NA V6 cars and I experimented with removing the intake snorkels on them and the induction roar became insane, very loud and very deep.
But I didn't leave them that way for long as it seemed very likely the intake air was now a fair bit hotter seeing as the intake opening was now well and truly in the engine bay vs the snorkel picking up outside air.

Resonance/Absorption - The best analogy I can give without getting to deep....Blow a raspberry as if you are going to blow a trombone down a plastic tube.
Now do the same with a piece of metal tube....hear the difference?

The metal tube will sound much crisper and raspy, the higher frequencies being bounced off the internal walls, whereas the plastic absorbs them to a certain degree.

Apply that methodology to the pipework on our cars and you're there.

BruceTheQuail (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
Resonance/Absorption - The best analogy I can give without getting to deep....Blow a raspberry as if you are going to blow a trombone down a plastic tube.
Now do the same with a piece of metal tube....hear the difference?

The metal tube will sound much crisper and raspy, the higher frequencies being bounced off the internal walls, whereas the plastic absorbs them to a certain degree.

Apply that methodology to the pipework on our cars and you're there.
Yep, makes perfect sense, but I still don't see what that has to do with SC whine!
Maybe I'm just too dense to understand!

Edit - some quick searching on the interwebz for "what causes SC whine" didn't come up with any definitive answer with opinions all over the shop, but the best I could figure out it is caused by the SC rotors spinning very closely together and pretty damn fast which causes noise (sound), and somehow that sound travels back up the intake tube(s) and out the end of them, so that fitting smaller air filters and air boxes and especially cone filters changes and accentuates that sound.
And metal intake tubes will change and accentuate this even further as explained by Tel.
Makes some sort of sense I suppose as the speed of sound is faster than the speed of the air coming in the intakes and through the tubing to the SC.

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-14-2019 at 04:09 AM.
BruceTheQuail (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

It sounds (pun intended) like the Unhinged R&D shop will have this answer soon. I like the upgraded looks of the set up for sure. If it sheds a few pounds that would be good too. Added heat would be an issue though.

Last edited by jaguny; 07-14-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
It sounds (pun intended) like the Unhinged R&D shop will have this answer soon. I like the upgraded looks of the set up for sure. If it sheds a few pounds that would be good too. Added heat would be an issue thought.
This worry about added intake air heat from using metal intake tubes instead of plastic comes up a lot, and as best as I can figure out it's not a problem.
Once you increase speed above a crawl the flow of fresh air through the intake(s) is too fast for the metal intake tubes to make any measurable difference to the temperature of the intake air, and they are also being cooled by external air flow.
At a stop and idling maybe some increase in intake air temp but so what, you're not looking for max air density and hence O2 volume while idling.
Also, have you felt how damn hot those plastic intake tubes get when the car is stopped (heat soak) - probably not much cooler if any than metal tubes!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
But you have lost loads of added weight by removing the OEM filters right?
The OEM filters remain in place with the Mina tubing kit.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

You all got me thinking about taking temp measurements. Instead, the before/after dyno will be a far more relevant set of metrics.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-14-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

I did the tube change on my XKR while I still had it. It did increase the SC whine a lot but I didn't see much if anything on the dyno. I did get infrequent leaks and it was a real headache when it came to getting the car smog certified. Decided the aggravation wasn't worth it and wouldn't do it again for whatever that's worth.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:15 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

would wrapping the tubes in the gold heat wrap foil reflect the heat for the better? like this

Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Tel

FWIW - I will monitor IAT 2 temps with OEM and with pipework, once brackets are sorted out.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Temperatures are not that important when we have IC. Although it is true that if we want to gain power, those who already have a flash will be those who will get more hp, with IC is more important Quantity than the quality of the air (cold).

Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

pretty cheap if it does add some sc whine

i'd just wrinkle black spray it myself as the alu polish look is a bit too ricer for this 30 yr old

Old 07-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Default Guess what I’ll be doing tomorrow morning

Jklad (07-20-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Great!
Blow by blow running commentary and pics would be much appreciated!

Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Great!
Blow by blow running commentary and pics would be much appreciated!
Will do.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:29 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Not sure

These comments may not be relevant regarding intake kits for the F-Type, but I always like to see calibrated before/after BHP figures before I spend. My previous ride - a Mercedes A45 AMG producing 400+ BHP - had many aftermarket intake kits available. Then someone went on a dyno and removed all pipes, filters, so it was just a large hole before the turbo. There was absolutely no increase in power. Just sayin'.

Quick Reply: Mina Gallery intake kit