F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering questions/Pls dont flame me

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 09:49 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lowering questions/Pls dont flame me

Good Day, need some general advice. I am NOT mechanical so some of the stuff I have read is a bit Greek to me. I have a 2016 FType S convertible...Firesand Orange...love it. I would like to lower it but am not too sure if this throws all the electronics etc out of whack. I am looking for direction on what I need to ask my shop to do so I get it right the first time...I think I understand springs, and alignment...do I need anything else to make this a successful mod?...different shocks" etc?..does lowering put the car at risk of any other secondary issues?....appreciate any and all input....

Old 10-04-2022, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

You can do lowering springs without throwing anything out of whack (assuming the installer doesn't break anything):

https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...ering-springs/

The following users liked this post:
Rat Fink65 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
You can do lowering springs without throwing anything out of whack (assuming the installer doesn't break anything):

https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...ering-springs/
Yep, dozens here have fitted lowering springs across a range of brands and drop heights - VAP, H&R, Eibach etc - and the only adjustment needed to anything else is a wheel alignment. A handful have also gone with wider wheels/tyres and wider offsets or wheel spacers and had to cut/grind/roll a bit off the rear wheel arches to avoid rubbing, but as long as you don't go crazy with the spring drop and/or the width/diameter of the wheel/tyre combo no other adjustment is needed.
For example I have VAP springs with 20 mm rear and 15 mm front wheel spacers and zero rubbing under any conditions.

Rat Fink65 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, dozens here have fitted lowering springs across a range of brands and drop heights - VAP, H&R, Eibach etc - and the only adjustment needed to anything else is a wheel alignment. A handful have also gone with wider wheels/tyres and wider offsets or wheel spacers and had to cut/grind/roll a bit off the rear wheel arches to avoid rubbing, but as long as you don't go crazy with the spring drop and/or the width/diameter of the wheel/tyre combo no other adjustment is needed.
For example I have VAP springs with 20 mm rear and 15 mm front wheel spacers and zero rubbing under any conditions.
Are you happy with the amount of drop? Are spacers needed for stock rim/tire set up?? Thanks for your response👌👍👊

Old 10-04-2022, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rat Fink65
Are you happy with the amount of drop? Are spacers needed for stock rim/tire set up?? Thanks for your response👌👍👊
I am happy with the VAP drop. It is quite conservative, only 22 mm / 3/4" front and rear but my garage entrance has a deepish spoon drain/gutter and I would have problems with going any lower. H&Rs for example are lower (1.25" IIRC, Eibachs the same I think) and would look better I reckon but I don't want to risk it, mine with the VAP drop looks OK, much better than stock, but still not "great".
IMHO spacers (or different wheels with different offsets) are absolutely essential for a better "stance" on the F-Type, the stock set up looks way too tucked in for my liking.
After some trial and error with different size spacers I have settled on 15 mm front and 20 mm rear, looks great, the tyres are damn near flush with the guards front and back, and zero rubbing.

Rat Fink65 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I am happy with the VAP drop. It is quite conservative, only 22 mm / 3/4" front and rear but my garage entrance has a deepish spoon drain/gutter and I would have problems with going any lower. H&Rs for example are lower (1.25" IIRC, Eibachs the same I think) and would look better I reckon but I don't want to risk it, mine with the VAP drop looks OK, much better than stock, but still not "great".
IMHO spacers (or different wheels with different offsets) are absolutely essential for a better "stance" on the F-Type, the stock set up looks way too tucked in for my liking.
After some trial and error with different size spacers I have settled on 15 mm front and 20 mm rear, looks great, the tyres are damn near flush with the guards front and back, and zero rubbing.
Thank You for the guidance. Wasn’t really sure what the “spacers” actually did🤣…I am now thinking the H&R springs may be what I’m looking for- I’d like the most drop!

Old 10-04-2022, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rat Fink65
Thank You for the guidance. Wasn’t really sure what the “spacers” actually did🤣…I am now thinking the H&R springs may be what I’m looking for- I’d like the most drop!
Forgot to add - if you go with 15 mm spacers on the front you will need to trim (cut or grind) 3 mm or so off all the front wheel studs, as your current wheels will not accommodate the studs in the voids between the stud holes. Very few stock F-Type wheels do and AFAIK the only ones which do are Blade wheels, so lucky for me that is what I have! Some threads and several posts around here about this. 20 mm spacers on the rear is plenty to clear the studs.
Another option is to go with 17 mm spacers on the front as that is just enough to clear but that is a non-standard size and may be hard to find and/or very expensive, and I'm not sure about clearance in the wheel wells on full lock with 17 mm spacers.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

15mm spacers were my favorite mod hands down, but lowering was out. Love the look, but too many goats trails around Portland.