F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving Countries. What do I do re Sat Nav

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving Countries. What do I do re Sat Nav

I am moving from Japan to New Zealand and am taking my 2014 F Type with me. Is it possible to get the Sat Nav updated for the change of country? Jaguar NZ have been no help in answering the questions.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 AM
Received 4,437 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Yes, it's possible, drop me a line when you get there I can sort you out.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
markgoddard1413 (04-13-2017), nickyts (06-16-2017), TEBIN VARGHESE TOMSON (05-19-2021)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 PM

Many thanks. we are now in Auckland. can you assist. Best regards

Old 04-13-2017, 09:24 PM

I've sent you a PM.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi there,

I bought my F-Type R 2016 as a cancelled export order, brand new from factory, and having it shipped to my country. I may need to reprogram the Sat Nav and turn it from Asia data to Europe data. I was told that this can be done by a dealer but in case anyone has done it or know any similar experience please share! I am not seeking an update but a full new data of a different map area zone to replace the existing data that the new vehicle comes with.

Thanks! My first time in this forum.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Dealership here in New Zealand says its not possible. In fact they were pretty unhelpful altogether.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:30 PM

I can live without it, especially as in my country (Albania) is no need for navigation for me and this will be a weekend use vehicle for very short distances mainly. Navi can be called in service once or twice a year in a possible road trip to central Europe but mobile navigation or other aids may solve it. If Jaguar makes it impossible it will not be the end of the world. Thnx

Old 04-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I personally would just throw a New Zealand nav disc in the slot and see what happens.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:34 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,076 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Or Albania, in this case. Try PMing Cambo, he may be able to offer some advice.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:07 PM

DJS, Albania as a country is included in the Europa Maps, but my car comes built with a sat nav data for Asia and therefore my question was if anyone knew if it is possible to change it to Europa maps. I hope someone tried this before and it can work.

However I am expecting the delivery and will check at the dealer too. Thnx

Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 PM

Mark, I got your email, will reply shortly.

Some general info about the Nav systems in the F-Type.

There are three different systems depending on the market specification of the car.

All with the IAM2.1 level 3 infotainment unit.

The majority of markets use the internal Hard Disc Drive to store the maps, with no external navigation module. Such as the UK/EU, USA/CAN, AUS/NZ, Middle East, Eastern Europe & Russia, and some others. For most of these markets the maps are loaded by USB, except for AUS/NZ where the official map source comes on a DVD. These maps need to be activated with a license code.

For "Asia" markets, an external navigation module is added, and the maps come on SD cards. Asia is a broad term, this also includes Africa, but excludes Japan. The maps on these SD cards are NOT compatible with the maps on SD card for the Next Generation Infotainment (NGI) which is found in the XE, F-Pace, etc. You need to get the right SD card, I have a couple here for Africa and SE-Asia, but they aren't easy to find so it's taking a while to build up a library.

Lastly for Japan an external navigation module is used with a DVD, but this is NOT compatible with the other DVD map sources, like what we have for AUS/NZ, it's again in a different format.

For converting a Japanese car to NZ maps, we need to connect to the car with the SDD diagnostic system and change a few settings in the Car Configuration File. Then it will be possible to load the AUS/NZ maps via DVD, or by USB (I have both here).

For converting an Asia car to European maps, again we need to connect to the car with the SDD diagnostic system and change a few settings in the Car Configuration File. It may also be possible to source maps from another make on SD card, I think that the later Aston Martin system which uses SD cards may be compatible, one of my contacts is in the process of testing out one of these Asia nav modules, and trying to load Eastern Europe maps to it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
LobsterClaws (11-07-2017), u102768 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 09:05 PM

I appreciate your information! There is light in the end of the tunnel... let's hope that there is a solution to my issue. I will follow up any lead in doing what needed, except for crazy fees that I will carefully evaluate. I wonder if someone did it and succeeded at reasonable costs. I heard that the Europa maps come with a USB and with a validation cone related to the Vin Number but I wanted to hear if from real experience - anyone already did this.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:13 PM

Absolutely there is a solution, the difficulty is that you can't just put in a USB stick and enter the code, we need to plug into the car and change the settings in the CCF for the source of the Navigation files.

In the Asia-spec cars it's set to the external module, so putting maps in via USB is "disabled".

Same deal for the Japan-spec cars.

We need to connect to the car and change a few settings.

I hope that in the next few weeks my contact can test out the alternative map source on SD card, this will solve the problem of the Asia-spec vehicles.

But for the Japan-spec, at the moment the only solution is to plug in with the laptop. While a JLR dealer has the hardware and software available to do this, they are "not allowed" and the functions are locked out for them. So if they say they can't do it, that's actually true. Fortunately there are some of us outside the dealer network who are not restricted like this.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:09 AM

I will wait for more news then! Really appreciate your information! I hope the trial that you describe will work out and could be shared as a solution. As I may have mentioned above, I can live even without Europa maps in the car, important for me is not to damage anything trying to reprogram it. Strange though why building the same car with so complicated differences between them for the same feature.

However I am so happy for my deal with this new Jag - purchase price justifies all LESS FEATURES (AWD, EU Navi, Heated Seats, Eco Button, TPMS). I live in a small country where maps are not yet covering all of it, with few data, no need of navi at all, we have 300 days of sun/a year and just a week or two of some cold days/a year, we had snow once for a half day in 30 years, I have my super 4X4 RRS HSE for off road or bad weather in case, I hate Eco feature, and often also the TMPS feature irritates you - and the car comes with a reserve wheel).

I am so happy to have it RWD, being this a second car, weekends mainly, for fun and joy. I predict this will also keep more value as it will be more rare and many enthusiasts go for it and I have friends gathering in line to welcome it.

And I love the combination exterior/interior - the Ammonite Grey, the black wheels, the red calipers, the grey-black-red-chrome contrast, the glass roof, the red stitching and red belts, half red seats, just perfect to my taste!

Last edited by JagAlb; 04-16-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

If you have incontrol apps then Sygic or Genius maps will cover your area.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:07 PM

I am not sure it has this option, the vehicle I purchased is a 2016 model. I do not see this in the car data sheet. Isn't this an extra option? However, I will check. Thnx

Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Sygic is the one which has New Zealand. Both have Europe.
Download the Jaguar in control app from the apple App Store.

Last edited by malbec; 04-16-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:49 PM

I made some homework today, changing country store for my apple id account, thanks to some aid from a cousin living abroad. Hassles of the iTunes & Apple App Store policies. Now the new Jaguar App for InControl is loaded in my iPhone 7+ ready and waiting to check connectivity with the Jag when arriving. Sygic and Genius are ready to trial too. (my country and all southern European countries were available in the maps, just in case.)

If Incontrol App works I will not spend a penny to reprogram sat nav data of the car neither bother myself for experiments. (Saving money for fuel to ride the beauty&beast!) :-)

The countdown has started :-)

Old 04-18-2017, 02:48 AM

If you want voice guidance you have to set the audio source to the iPhone. This will mean that you can't use the radio and have voice guidance. Way around that is to have a radio app, the myTuner app works well. It does mean that you need a good data package for your phone. I have unlimited data so not a problem. Using "Hey Siri" makes the whole setup totally hands free.
Just to add that you can run other incontrol apps while using Genius or Sygic.

Last edited by malbec; 04-18-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:50 AM

Problem for Mark is that his Japan-spec 2014 model doesn't have Incontrol Apps...