Sponsored by:

No more V8's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts
Default No more V8's...

The I6 will be the biggest..

"..Electrically powered turbochargers (which improve both economy and throttle response) will be standard on future petrol and diesel engines, allowing a downsizing of JLR’s engine range. V8 engines will be dropped and replaced by high- performance versions of the new Ingenium straight six. JLR management is also investing significant effort into connectivity. All future vehicles will be connected to the web 24/7, allowing updated engine software to be automatically downloaded and JLR to monitor vehicle performance and send owners information on unscheduled servicing."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...e-renewed-2024

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan_NL:
Brock (09-10-2018), JgaXkr (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
The I6 will be the biggest..

All future vehicles will be connected to the web 24/7, allowing updated engine software to be automatically downloaded and JLR to monitor vehicle performance and send owners information on unscheduled servicing."
This is the alarming part of this article. This is far too intrusive...1984. If I am ever unfortunate enough to need a new car, that sim card is coming out day one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
DPelletier (09-11-2018), scm (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
This is the alarming part of this article. This is far too intrusive...1984. If I am ever unfortunate enough to need a new car, that sim card is coming out day one.
agreed! No Corporate spy needed.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

A pathway to hacking the car by the unscrupulous.

Also potentially the end to tunes. JLR could simply reverse the tune over the air.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

I agree. I got VERY upset when I discovered google was not only logging my searches but also stored my agenda [android phone] in the cloud and made backups of my pictures in the cloud [ android phone] without my knowledge !

Now the F-Type has 'in control secure' , meaning not only I can see which route I took, but anybody logging into [hacking] my 'in secure' page-in-the-cloud can see where I have been, when I was there, what my avarage speed was...
Also what my 'favorits' [ adresbook navi ] is.. Don't forget they can track you trough the sim of your mobile too...

You are both right its getting really scary as we are about to enter a tolitarian 'NWO' regime who knows who we are, what we do and who our contacts are... .. and with the face recognisition the chinese developed,
then can find you anywhere in 3 minutes, unless you are in the wild, not carrying a mobile or navigation, or a tracking tag that some expensive clothing brands use in their stores to track stolen items...
.. yes your gucci wallet too.. .. and your hiking boots..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 09-10-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Reminds me of a couple of cases of owners in conflict with Tesla for various reasons, and saw the ability for supercharging disabled remotely by Tesla...
Scary as hell - and no, I do not see the need to be "connected" with various kinds of social media in a car, in particular not in a drivers car.
Some friends make fun of me because I don't even use half of my daily driver's infotainment system, I did not even bother to configurate since purchase
Music, OK, navigation too, but other than that... let alone to be connected with JLR all of the time...brrrrr

Old 09-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Many car manufacturers already pull this sort of data to the cloud. It has big benefits for the manufacturer and does massively help with future products. Some manufacturers have you sign something, others don’t. Many randomize data and can’t tie it to a specific vehicle or person.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Dang.
Well, back to mid-engine Corvette for me by then...

Old 09-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I will stay with the good news ... the V8 are likely not to lose value or even revalue from now!

The following 2 users liked this post by T-Mack:
Opi (09-17-2018), scm (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

One of the reasons I don't own Tesla is because I don't want a car where manufacturer has remote access to it.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
One of the reasons I don't own Tesla is because I don't want a car where manufacturer has remote access to it.
I'm betting Tesla won't be building cars in 5 years, anyway. Only batteries (and related management software) for other car manufacturers.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

All future vehicles will be connected to the web 24/7, allowing updated engine software to be automatically downloaded
I don't worry so much about privacy as I do about the risk of automatic updates. My computer, tablet and phone have all been rendered inoperable at times by a software or operating system update. I've usually been able to uninstall the update and get it working again, but there's been a couple of times I've had to wipe a disk and copy from the backup. And just one day last week, I was starting a meeting in the conference room, turned the computer on to bring up a Powerpoint and it says "Applying updates, please wait." I've got people coming in for a meeting, people I'm paying quite a lot for their time. I can't afford for them to wait.

Imagine getting in your car to drive to work at 7:00am, pushing the start button and a message comes on the dash "Applying update 1 of 143, Please wait." Sorry boss, I was 30 minutes late to work because my car decided to update its operating system this morning. Or worse, when its all finished updating, it won't start. You call Jaguar technical support, listen to the recorded message that walks you through a bunch of system checks, then some Tata technical support guy comes on the phone and walks you through the same checks again only to have to finally send a tow truck sometime after 10:00am.

Remember when Microsoft was pushing Windows 8 and got sneaky, fixing it so that just X'ing out the pop-up was the same as clicking "OK"? I couldn't pick up a prescription at the pharmacy because their pharmacy software didn't work with Windows 8 and somebody just X'd out of that Window. They were down for a whole day while waiting for an IT person to come out and restore Windows 7.

Was hanging around listening to a group of Tesla owners at a Cars and Coffee a couple of years ago and it was unlike any gearhead conversation that I had ever heard. "Did you download the latest firmware update <version number>?" "Yes, but now my windows won't roll down unless I first do this <demonstrates workaround>."

No, unscheduled updates are unacceptable. Once the software is loaded at the factory and everything is working, they need to leave it alone. The only time it should be updated is when its in the dealer service bay where if anything goes wrong, they can fix it. And even then, it shouldn't be updated unless its a critical safety or security issue or a bug fix. But no doubt they'll get some notion to send an update to improve emissions or add some new feature or even just to rearrange the icons on the touchscreen. In my 25 years with online technology, it just seems that every update has the potential for inconvenience or disaster.

Last edited by pdupler; 09-10-2018 at 08:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pdupler:
Datsports (09-14-2018), scm (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member

I can not agree more with what you write. I have exactly the same experiences with Windows. But also with my internet provider who decided to force a firmware update on my modem/router erasing
all my PFW settings and so made it impossible to see my surveillance camera's ; this happened when I was out of the country... Luckily my son whas home and I could pace him through the steps to
install a backup for the PFW settings..

Not to speak of TomTom, a never ending misery that was. I had my first TT in 2005. Always when there was a system update something went wrong. But then I could approach it as an external drive, and format it...
By then connecting it with the TT server it would re-install everything and it would work fairly well for some time. Over the years I bought some new, but also got two times a free replacement as I could not get it right...
Since 4 years they do not allow the 'external drive' approach as some geezers in Poland [ maybe other countries too] decided to copy the maps and put them on HDD and using a laptop as TT..
Crafty but terminal for the business model..

Now it works as a router : the connection to the server gets re-routed through the TomTom. In the beginning this wasn't working flawless to, but the last years it seems OK. Only now they don't bother making major updates
so suddenly you find yourself driving offroad and the system insisting on turning around on a newly build 5 lanes motorway [ I have lifetime maps, free updates for 7 years, as they assume the divice to written off by 7 years..].

And I am afraid it will come to the point that cars in their ECU are updated OTA and you can't stop them. Unless you hack the system and block reception. But then you are liable if anyhting goes wrong after that..

Old 09-11-2018, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

We are continuing to lose control of privacy and our own time. The Windows software is a good example. Windows 10 is a nuisance in this regard and auto updates. You buy a product and you are owned by the company. Every software in our company has moved to control you with cloud based requirements. Revolutions were started over less. We are becoming lemmings. I need a V12 Aston with low/no tech just to calm down.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:45 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
Just one day last week, I was starting a meeting in the conference room, turned the computer on to bring up a Powerpoint and it says "Applying updates, please wait." I've got people coming in for a meeting, people I'm paying quite a lot for their time. I can't afford for them to wait.
You can set the hours in which you allow updates to happen. In my case they are set to be installed only outside my general business hours.

Last edited by KVO; 09-11-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:49 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I need a V12 Aston with low/no tech just to calm down.
It's just an XJS with an expensive badge, man!

Old 09-11-2018, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KVO
You can set the hours in which you allow updates to happen. In my case they are set to be installed only outside my general business hours.
I have the "auto" disabled in W8 [ never switched to 10 ]. I see if I need an update, select it and remove the re-occurring of the ones I discard.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by KVO
Wish our IT department knew that. But then it can only be updated when its powered up and I just happened to be the first unlucky user to turn the power on. Will we leave our new high-tech cars turned on all the time, overnight so they can update themselves? Heaven forbid you need to drive your sick spouse or child to the hospital at 2am while its updating.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

I have the "auto" disabled in W8 [ never switched to 10 ]. I see if I need an update, select it and remove the re-occurring of the ones I discard.
Switch to 10. Much better than 8. It's almost as stable as Windows 3.0. (Still not as good as DOS).

Old 09-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Switch to 10. Much better than 8. It's almost as stable as Windows 3.0. (Still not as good as DOS).
I'm afraid of privacy issues. Now I can still use my 'onboard' version of WORD and EXCEL. I believe with '10' I need a subscription to some cloud based set.
Convenient for the NSA, as Bill Gates handed over the 'keys' so they don't have to break into any computer or company anymore ; they just steal it from the
cloud without leaving traces... Really amazing how sharp US-companies calculate tenders ever since...

Quick Reply: No more V8's...