Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My F-type has been 6 months in winter hibernation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts
Default My F-type has been 6 months in winter hibernation

And it's been stored in a non heated garage with temperatures way below freezing (down to -15 celsius). It was stored with overinflated tires (50+ psi), newly serviced and with full tank (under an indoor cover). Battery has been charged with a Ctek 5.0 charger every 6. week til chargerlamp is green (typical 6-10 hours). Still has the OEM battery from 2014, and it's 4 weeks since last recharge.
Today I adjusted the tires to 36 psi (it was +6 celsius), and pushed the starter button. It took a few revs (~1 sec) and the engine started. It ran smooth and after a couple of minutes warm up I drove off. The car ran just as great as when new, no tire vibrations, rattles or anything "bad".
It felt just like getting a new F-type once more, and I had a great time behind the wheels after a 6 months long wait!
I just love this car 🙂
Easter will be restricted due to the Corona virus, but fortunately we don't have any driving bans. My wife and I should have left for Key Largo yesterday, but now I can spend more time in the F-type instead. Looking very much forward to that, and we do have some great country roads here.
I do miss the Keys, freediving and fishing though. That will have to wait til next year.
Stay safe and take care everyone - and try to enjoy the best way you can!

The following users liked this post:
jlsthlm (04-05-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
And it's been stored in a non heated garage with temperatures way below freezing (down to -15 celsius). It was stored with overinflated tires (50+ psi), newly serviced and with full tank (under an indoor cover). Battery has been charged with a Ctek 5.0 charger every 6. week til chargerlamp is green (typical 6-10 hours). Still has the OEM battery from 2014, and it's 4 weeks since last recharge.
Today I adjusted the tires to 36 psi (it was +6 celsius), and pushed the starter button. It took a few revs (~1 sec) and the engine started. It ran smooth and after a couple of minutes warm up I drove off. The car ran just as great as when new, no tire vibrations, rattles or anything "bad".
It felt just like getting a new F-type once more, and I had a great time behind the wheels after a 6 months long wait!
I just love this car 🙂
Easter will be restricted due to the Corona virus, but fortunately we don't have any driving bans. My wife and I should have left for Key Largo yesterday, but now I can spend more time in the F-type instead. Looking very much forward to that, and we do have some great country roads here.
I do miss the Keys, freediving and fishing though. That will have to wait til next year.
Stay safe and take care everyone - and try to enjoy the best way you can!
How are you getting to the Keys? I thought Trump locked down the borders.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:45 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Arne isn't going to the keys this year as planned, He is hoping to go next spring and will use the opportunity to hammer down the Norwegian country roads (Arne, I have heard that the Norwegian police hand out pretty hefty fines for speeding and won't hesitate to impound one's vehicle if say caught more than 30% over the limit - correct?)

Got my F-type out of storage two weeks ago after 5 months in garage and it has been a real mood lifter in these somewhat bleak times. Have been considering driving over to Norway this season (assuming the borders will open within a couple of months) to check out some of the Norwegian country roads. Any areas in the south that you can recommend?

Old 04-05-2020, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
How are you getting to the Keys? I thought Trump locked down the borders.
Exactly. That's why we had to drop our previous plans (cansel our flight tickets and house, car and boat rentals) and wait til next year. I think that's what I wrote 😉

Old 04-05-2020, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
Arne isn't going to the keys this year as planned, He is hoping to go next spring and will use the opportunity to hammer down the Norwegian country roads (Arne, I have heard that the Norwegian police hand out pretty hefty fines for speeding and won't hesitate to impound one's vehicle if say caught more than 30% over the limit - correct?)

Got my F-type out of storage two weeks ago after 5 months in garage and it has been a real mood lifter in these somewhat bleak times. Have been considering driving over to Norway this season (assuming the borders will open within a couple of months) to check out some of the Norwegian country roads. Any areas in the south that you can recommend?
The fines for speeding are high, that is very correct, but they won't impound the vehicle (that might be Switzerland...?). However if you are doing more than twice the speed limit, you might get some 20+ days behind the bars, and ~50% above the limit you loose your driver license.

If you do go to Norway I can highly recommend the west coast (fjords and mountains) - also in the southern part, just not all the way south. You get there in just a cuople of hours drive from Oslo (go west, north west from Oslo towards the mountains, and not south). Lots of curvy roads with great views, and the driving can be real fun and challenging without the need to go too much over the speed limits to have fun. If you find the "right" roads ( and there are lots of them) you will sometimes strugle to match the speed limits 😉

My wife and I are planning for such a trip this year. One suggestion for a place to go to (and sleep over) is here:

https://www.lardalsorenhotel.no/home-english

The owner is a car-guy, and he can give great advice on fantastic driving roads in the area. We were there a couple of years ago, and we will return 🙂

Here is just a few of many pics from that trip (this one from outside the old Hotel - the Hotel owner with one of his many cars).

More of his cars on the Hotel parking lot.

One of the many fjords.

And over one of the many mountains.

Lets just hope the boarders don't stay close for too long....

Old 04-05-2020, 05:00 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations, and great pictures. Cant wait for the borders to open again indeed..as you may already know, no mountain roads where I live (Denmark) whatsoever!

Arne (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 09:45 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

That looks awesome, unfortunately, it’s a long drive for me. Welcome out of hibernation, Arne. The Keys will still be there next year, barring the other usual catastrophes.

Arne (04-05-2020)