F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Button on Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Mystery Button on Steering Wheel...voice command?

I just took delivery of a 19MY and have what seems to be a "Voice Command" button on the left of my steering wheel, between the Phone button and the Mode button. I can press and depress it nicely, but it does not respond to any voice command (I do not have a list of what commands it might understand, so I am not sure). This button does not appear on any picture of F Type on the JLR web sites, or in any section of the manual. It seems to turn the media on and off, but I can't imagine that is its real purpose. Here is what it looks like:

Do we now have "voice commands" on the F Type? Is this part of the new Touch Pro in preparation for CarPlay etc.? Any insights appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Brock; 10-09-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:17 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

My understanding is that voice commands may be enabled in a ICTP update, but I would have thought your new F-type would have that. I need to update the ICTP software on my MY18 XE at some point.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:17 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Anything about it in the manual?

Old 10-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Anything about it in the manual?
Nothing at all... and I did read the whole thing.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

Should work..

InControl Touch navigation makes planning journeys and following routes easy thanks to turn-by-turn voice guidance, junction view and 3D maps.
Set your destination with a few taps, or simply speak a command. The system will then allow you to choose the fastest or most economical route7.
Once you are on your way, live traffic capability offers redirection if a quicker route arises.
https://www.jaguarusa.com/owners/inc...rol-touch.html

Old 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I gave up on that system. Waze is far more accurate and effective.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Can you use that through the car's touch screen? I see that Sygic, Genius Maps and In-Dash (a Tom-Tom product) are available as Apps but Waze isn't.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Can you use that through the car's touch screen? I see that Sygic, Genius Maps and In-Dash (a Tom-Tom product) are available as Apps but Waze isn't.
JLR just announced that they would soon support CarPlay, which allows you to have Waze on your touch screen (see https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/26...united-states/). This will require you to have Incontrol Touch Pro though.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:24 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Haven’t played with mine, but was under the impressin that button was related to the bluetooth function for using your phone?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'm with you on this. I've had voice control in mine since the first day. Mine is called Google

Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
JLR just announced that they would soon support CarPlay, which allows you to have Waze on your touch screen (see https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/26...united-states/). This will require you to have Incontrol Touch Pro though.
While this is (finally) great news, why is it that JLR is so late to the party? Technology is not Jaguar's strong suit.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

there is no voice command on latest infotainment afaik

the new 10" screen is more like a lite version compared to it in other vehicles, i would assume because they couldn't fully integrate all the features/tech into the existing f-type canbus designed 5 odd years ago

all the new f-types i've seen, including the older cars, just had a blank switch there

i think someone at factory has just installed the wrong button panel lol

Old 10-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

It is a mute button, from memory. Hold fire I dont know if it is, I'll check tonight.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 10-09-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
It is a mute button, from memory. Hold fire I dont know if it is, I'll check tonight.
I had JagVoice on my old XFR but I never used it because I would have had to retrain/reteach it and I read many reports about how ropey it was so I never bothered to do so.
The steering wheel had the exact same button for turning JagVoice on and off but it did not work as a mute button.
However on my old XFS which did not have JagVoice the same button worked as the mute button.
Strangely I miss that mute button on the F-Type!

Old 10-10-2018, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by PolkNole
While this is (finally) great news, why is it that JLR is so late to the party? Technology is not Jaguar's strong suit.
I think it's because Jaguar is primarily interested in producing beautiful, well-engineered, well-performing, luxurious automobiles rather than rolling i-pads. Chasing the latest "technology" is an expensive exercise in frustration because of the pace of change in infotainment products. A Kia can have (and does have) very advanced "technology" but it will never compete with a Jaguar in terms of what an automobile really is about.

The following users liked this post:
scm (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

On earlier F-Types that button was blanked, but it is worth pointing out that you can add that button to any F-Type since the 2014 launch model and you will gain a mute button. (The hardware is already in the switch pack - only the key cap needs to be swapped over.) On other models it is either a mute button or a voice activation button depending on whether that feature is enabled, so if Jaguar have started offering it from the factory with that button then it sounds like an update is coming either to their infotainment system or via an app as others have mentioned.

Interestingly all the hardware for the voice control was there since launch but not activated. With the IAM cars (pre 2016) the appropriate "Voice Control" CCF byte can be set to "Advanced speech recognition" but I didn't have the missing button the last time I played with my car. I have since added it when I replaced the buttons for the sticky paint problem so I will have another play next time to see if it can be enabled. I don't know if the next gen infotainment would follow the same route as I don't have access to that. As it is a hardware-less feature to add to the F-Type I suspect it was not offered at launch due to the cabin noise.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Yes it is a blank in my car but a voice activation button in my wife's, so it seems. We have never used it, but it was happy enough to be activated when I just tried.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brock
I just took delivery of a 19MY and have what seems to be a "Voice Command" button on the left of my steering wheel, between the Phone button and the Mode button. I can press and depress it nicely, but it does not respond to any voice command (I do not have a list of what commands it might understand, so I am not sure). This button does not appear on any picture of F Type on the JLR web sites, or in any section of the manual. It seems to turn the media on and off, but I can't imagine that is its real purpose. Here is what it looks like:
Do we now have "voice commands" on the F Type? Is this part of the new Touch Pro in preparation for CarPlay etc.? Any insights appreciated, thank you.
Mine arrived last week (UK). I have the button. Pressed it a few times, wondering what it does. Nothing it would appear.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Unfortunately not on the screen, but it does announce directions through the sound system.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my MY19 it acts as a mute button (for when you get pulled over).

Quick Reply: Mystery Button on Steering Wheel