F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires and have grinding/rubbing sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:55 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default New tires and have grinding/rubbing sounds?

So I swapped out the pzeros for the michelin sports , which looked wider/bigger in the wheel wells than the pzeros, and have noticed that during slow sharp turns (mostly pulling out/in of parking spaces) i get the rubbing/grinding sounds that even kind of "juts" the car a bit. Sound also resembles what it sounds like when driving over or walking over snow and that feeling of the snow being packed down beneath you. Is it just the larger tires rubbing in the well? or one of the bearings too tight or not lubed? I have no idea but i'm taking in the shop.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Are the new tyres the same size (e.g. 295/30R20) as the P-Zeros?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Your new fronts may just be 'slipping' on sharp turns (such as parking maneuvers). Ours does that even with half worn P-Zeros.

Do F-Types have Anti-Ackerman Steering? (Where the fronts don't turn at a sufficient angle not to slip on sharp turns)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerm...ering_geometry

Old 11-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

That's what it sounds like to me, too. I was in an underground park a few days ago with painted floor and the squelching and chirping and groaning from the tyres (Michelins as well) was incredible. Mine are 270's on the front and 3015's on the rear, definitely no rubbing etc.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
That's what it sounds like to me, too. I was in an underground park a few days ago with painted floor and the squelching and chirping and groaning from the tyres (Michelins as well) was incredible. Mine are 270's on the front and 3015's on the rear, definitely no rubbing etc.
Jeez Bruce, they are some yuuuuge rear tyres you have there!
Two of them at that size must cover the entire width of the car, just like a steamroller!

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (11-27-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

lol! wishful thinking maybe

Old 11-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

lol! wishful thinking maybe
Bruce, were the fronts a typo as well? (265 or 275?)

Old 11-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

265, I should learn not to work from memory...

Old 11-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

265, I should learn not to work from memory...
I hope you don't forget to remember ...

What was the question?

BruceTheQuail (11-18-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 08:31 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the same noise at very slow parking lot speeds (<5mph) when maneuvering. Jaguar Columbia couldn't figure it out when I asked about it. It sounds like a rubbing tire, but nothing appears to be rubbing anywhere. It even did this with the factory Tornadoes and Pirelli's for the brief time they were on the car. I want to say it could be related to the differential, but it's just not typical of what a failed diff would sound like which is more of a 'whine' or 'clunk'. If you solve the mystery, please fill us in.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV
I have the same noise at very slow parking lot speeds (<5mph) when maneuvering. Jaguar Columbia couldn't figure it out when I asked about it. It sounds like a rubbing tire, but nothing appears to be rubbing anywhere. It even did this with the factory Tornadoes and Pirelli's for the brief time they were on the car. I want to say it could be related to the differential, but it's just not typical of what a failed diff would sound like which is more of a 'whine' or 'clunk'. If you solve the mystery, please fill us in.
It could be "tyre skip".
Very common on XFs and XJs and some F-Types, especially with Pirelli tyres, happens at low speed on full lock both forward and reverse.
Doesn't happen on all of them, it usually depends on the tyres.
It's due to the steering geometry, at full lock at low speed the outer front wheel can't quite keep up with the inner front wheel and the tyre "skips".
Nothing you can do about it other than try different tyres.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It could be "tyre skip"... Doesn't happen on all of them, it usually depends on the tyres....
This happens during winter time on all sports cars with wide tyres in the front. Cold temperatures harden the rubber wich causes this "problem".
Solution: fit winter tyres wich have rubber that stays soft in cold temperatures.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:40 PM

So I took the car in to the shop and they put it up on the lift and I also test drove it with the techs so they could hear it. They even called the tire place guy to confirm the same size and to get a second opinion. It was settled on "tire skip" as described by a few of you. Definitely sub freezing temps here. It's pretty jolting and scary when it happens and never did it with my P Zeros so it was quite an educational experience talking with the shop guys. Hope they're right or else I'm effed!

Old 11-24-2018, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by myironlung
So I took the car in to the shop and they put it up on the lift and I also test drove it with the techs so they could hear it. They even called the tire place guy to confirm the same size and to get a second opinion. It was settled on "tire skip" as described by a few of you. Definitely sub freezing temps here. It's pretty jolting and scary when it happens and never did it with my P Zeros so it was quite an educational experience talking with the shop guys. Hope they're right or else I'm effed!
As has been said before, but needs to be underscored, these tires are not meant to be driven in subfreezing weather. I was out and about on my MPSSs on Friday morning with the temps in the mid-twenties and it was almost like driving on ice. They're good down to about 40 (even though the sidewall says 50), but that's it!

ndabunka (11-27-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 03:32 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

This video is rather long but may be of interest. 17 minutes on if you don’t want the whole thing.
MPS4S in the cold....

Unhingd (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malbec
This video is rather long but may be of interest. 17 minutes on if you don’t want the whole thing.
MPS4S in the cold....
https://youtu.be/c0Y7eTR5D38
Apparently, the MP4Ss are a marked improvement over the MPSSs in the cold. At 27 degrees, the MPSSs won't hook up at all after a 1-2 shift unless you let up on the throttle.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
As has been said before, but needs to be underscored, these tires are not meant to be driven in subfreezing weather. I was out and about on my MPSSs on Friday morning with the temps in the mid-twenties and it was almost like driving on ice. They're good down to about 40 (even though the sidewall says 50), but that's it!
eh I'm not driving the car very hard though, just an easy low speed commute (25-45). I had pzeros through last winter and drove the car all the way through (never on snow covered roads though of course) and never ever had a feeling of driving on ice (perhaps you were exaggerating to make a point which is understood). Temps in Pennsylvania are of course a solid 15-45 degrees all through winter. If the michelins are better than the p zeros then I don't think I or other people with similar driving conditions should have a problem as long as you don't drive like an *******. I refuse to switch to winter tires because of all the b.s that comes with that process and the fact i'll never drive it in the snow. Just my thoughts through experience.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:20 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It could be "tyre skip".
Very common on XFs and XJs and some F-Types, especially with Pirelli tyres, happens at low speed on full lock both forward and reverse.
Doesn't happen on all of them, it usually depends on the tyres.
It's due to the steering geometry, at full lock at low speed the outer front wheel can't quite keep up with the inner front wheel and the tyre "skips".
Nothing you can do about it other than try different tyres.
Good info, thank you!

Old 11-24-2018, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by myironlung
eh I'm not driving the car very hard though, just an easy low speed commute (25-45). I had pzeros through last winter and drove the car all the way through (never on snow covered roads though of course) and never ever had a feeling of driving on ice (perhaps you were exaggerating to make a point which is understood). Temps in Pennsylvania are of course a solid 15-45 degrees all through winter. If the michelins are better than the p zeros then I don't think I or other people with similar driving conditions should have a problem as long as you don't drive like an *******. I refuse to switch to winter tires because of all the b.s that comes with that process and the fact i'll never drive it in the snow. Just my thoughts through experience.
I actually think the PZeros are better than the Michelin’s in extreme cold. I drove my MINI several winters with no issue on the PZeros. Put on a new set of PS4s a couple months ago and found them to be real squirrely in this weather. Looks like I’ll be driving the K1500 or the FJ40 when it’s below freezing. (M&S tires).

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-24-2018 at 08:09 PM.