F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT another CCB debate

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default NOT another CCB debate

I was thinking about doing a track day (actually a driving school) with my R. I have raced motorcycles for 20 years but never a car. But my question is about alternates to my CCB system. If I really like it I may want to use a steel option moving forward. My goal will be to “learn” to drive well and not to be a fastest guy on the track.

This is what I am looking at. Please let me know if this does not make any sense. The CCB system is a Brembo system. The calipers are standard Brembo and certainly NOT made specific for a Jaguar. In doing some research on Rotors Brembo make discs that are a match to the CC’s on the car. They make a 405mm X 34mm front and a 390mm X 34mm for the rear. Both from the GT family. The 390mm is a factory replacement Brembo for the Dodge Hellcat I believe. The Steels would be the same as the CC from a mounting standpoint I am sure. They have the same hardware etc. The mounting surfaces are flat on both so offsets or anything should not be an issue. We would need to mount the discs on our hats. I am noting this method because I am assuming it may be difficult to find the size and hat combinations. 4 discs are about $3,600 and pads another $1,000 plus new hardware.

Does this make sense? I did search to see if this has been discussed and did not find anything. I feel its sad that many shy away from the CCB option because of the replacement cost. 100% understand. Hoping we may have another reasonable option should that be an issue in the future. They basically add no cost to a used car so they are basically free.

Thanks would love to know your thoughts.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

I have tested the 405mm - 6 piston setup and it's not needed unless you are planning on a 50 lap race.

For amateur track use, your CCB will last you a very long time, so I would not be worried about it... and yes, learning how to drive well will result in making you the fastest guy on the track... who doesn't want to be the fastest guy on the track....

The following users liked this post:
usgpru27 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

If you are looking for a backup set of steel brakes, perhaps look into the group buy thread regarding Wortec lightweight rotors? If CCB cars have different size rotors/hats, you'll have to check with wortec to see if they can make the revised hat size. The advantage would be you'd have an additional full set of rotors, with no need to try to disassemble the factory set, pricing was similar, and they were pretty light - we all saved about 50lbs of unsprung weight on our cars compared to the factory steel rotors.

btw, I recall when we got the wortec rotors we were cautioned to never remove the hat or adjust the bolts holding them to the rotor - likely some precision torque specs or single use bolts going on there.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17

For amateur track use, your CCB will last you a very long time, so I would not be worried about it...
^ and this, I mean isn't that what the CCB's were made for?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts
Default CCB look so good.

I don't track and have no interest in tracking. The super performance brakes, I believe, are identical to the brakes on a ford SUV and they look like the brakes on a truck. The CCBs with the bembo calibers make the car look more refined and exotic., the way a $100K sports car should look. I'm looking at refitting a 2018 svr with CCBs.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:59 PM

Awesome guys that is exactly what I was looking for. If I do it I will certainly use the CCB’s. If they get light I will not spend the $$ to replace the rotors and want to make sure that I have a steel option. Is it also true that the CC rotors will last longer if you replace the pads at 50-60% wear? Because everything on the internet is true correct? LOL

Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
If you are looking for a backup set of steel brakes, perhaps look into the group buy thread regarding Wortec lightweight rotors? If CCB cars have different size rotors/hats, you'll have to check with wortec to see if they can make the revised hat size. The advantage would be you'd have an additional full set of rotors, with no need to try to disassemble the factory set, pricing was similar, and they were pretty light - we all saved about 50lbs of unsprung weight on our cars compared to the factory steel rotors.

btw, I recall when we got the wortec rotors we were cautioned to never remove the hat or adjust the bolts holding them to the rotor - likely some precision torque specs or single use bolts going on there.
If you are referring to the size based on the performance brakes stock on the R yes they are bigger, I will look up the Wortec thread. Additionally yes the hardware is single use and its recommended they be swapped by an expert.

Sure don’t want that brake dust that’s for sure.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I don't track and have no interest in tracking. The super performance brakes, I believe, are identical to the brakes on a ford SUV and they look like the brakes on a truck. The CCBs with the bembo calibers make the car look more refined and exotic., the way a $100K sports car should look. I'm looking at refitting a 2018 svr with CCBs.
The Wortecs look every bit as exotic (if not more so than the CCBs), weigh about the same as the CCBs, all for about 1/5 the cost of converting to CCBs. Worth considering.

DGL (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by usgpru27
Is it also true that the CC rotors will last longer if you replace the pads at 50-60% wear? Because everything on the internet is true correct? LOL
Wait...it HAS to be true if it's on the internet!!!!

Seriously, part of the inspection process prior to a track day/HPDE is to have AT LEAST 50% pad thickness. The pads then absorb some of the heat.
(tell me if I'm wrong, guys)

usgpru27 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Wait...it HAS to be true if it's on the internet!!!!

Seriously, part of the inspection process prior to a track day/HPDE is to have AT LEAST 50% pad thickness. The pads then absorb some of the heat.
(tell me if I'm wrong, guys)
I never let my pads go below 50-% because indeed, they get much hotter and they fade much faster when pushed. If you track the car, swapping out $150.00 of brake pads on or before 50% isn't a big expense and will bring substantial benefits

Old 12-09-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by FType17
I never let my pads go below 50-% because indeed, they get much hotter and they fade much faster when pushed. If you track the car, swapping out $150.00 of brake pads on or before 50% isn't a big expense and will bring substantial benefits
Would that be the same for my CC’s? Not sure where I picked that up from. Think a Beemer site. So maybe everthing on the net is NOT true?? So for clarity. If you have CCB’s you can just swap to the Wortec’s with new pads? Or is it an upgrade for standard and performance brakes??

Old 12-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by usgpru27

Would that be the same for my CC’s? Not sure where I picked that up from. Think a Beemer site. So maybe everthing on the net is NOT true?? So for clarity. If you have CCB’s you can just swap to the Wortec’s with new pads? Or is it an upgrade for standard and performance brakes??
NO, you cannot use Wortec rotors if you have a CC setup. The Wortec rotors are designed for 380mm front 376mm rear STEEL rotors. CC are 400mm front /390mm rear
Most track officials will expect no less than 50% of the pads no matter what type of braking system you use but the CC pads will tolerate the heat below 50% better anyway.

If you want to use Wortec rotors (steel) you will need the rotors, the calipers, shields and odd bits. I personally would not do that and I don't like those rotors anyway. There is a Brembo upgrade kit with 405mm rotors HOWEVER you may have wheel clearance issues with everal stock wheels

Old 09-14-2019, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I had steel breaks (2007 Jaguar XJ Sovereign X358) and they were overheating all the time, so I swapped out those for CCB's. If you still want to consider steel breaks though, you should have a look at the costs too.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the talk on the Ferrari forum, as an example (as for the costs and other stuff).

And one more thing: if you consider a driving school (like you said), you can look at the list of those in your local area (California, right?): https://drivingschoolnear.me/location/california
Hope this helps.
John Graham