Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Get used to this stuff, folks. Neither JLR, nor any other car company can avoid using systems like eco-mode because both in the U.S. and Europe, there are mandated corporate fuel-economy requirements. That may well be true in other parts of the world as well. These requirements will only become more stringent over time, which my logical/rational self knows is actually a good thing for the planet.

Quite frankly, I think JLR should be congratulated for how easy it is to make it invisible in so many different ways. However, it has to be on the car so it can be government tested and certified that way for fuel-economy reasons.
But doesnt that impinge on your First Amendment rights to express yourself freely (and loudly)!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
But doesnt that impinge on your First Amendment rights to express yourself freely (and loudly)!
Don't laugh, such things are routinely argued in our courts. However, there are certain exceptions, like you can't yell "fire" in a crowded movie theatre. I would like to think that this would fall under the "greater good for society exception."

Regardless of which side of the spectrum one falls on such regulations, the fact is all auto manufacturers are bound by the corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) mandates. Thus ranting at JLR or any other manufacturer is misplaced.

In 2006, the high-performance Corvette C6 Z06 debuted with a feature called "skip-shift" where if you started out under light throttle in 1st gear and shifted at around 2K rpm, the transmission would lock out 2nd and 3rd gear for the next shift, and put you in 4th gear. Many were furious and ranted about it incessantly. However, by including that feature, the car was able to be certified by the government with sufficient fuel economy to be exempt from the substantial "gas-guzzler tax" which was added onto the sticker price of less efficient high-performance cars, and GM got CAFE credits.

Ironically, all one had to do to eliminate that feature was start more aggressively and not shift until 3K, which disabled that feature. I always thought the angst over that was rather silly as well.

The following users liked this post:
OzRisk (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

In 2006, the high-performance Corvette C6 Z06 debuted with a feature called "skip-shift" where if you started out under light throttle in 1st gear and shifted at around 2K rpm, the transmission would lock out 2nd and 3rd gear for the next shift, and put you in 4th gear. Many were furious and ranted about it incessantly.
And people wonder why I prefer manual transmissions. Full freedom to skip-shift or not at any engine speed. God bless JLR for re-introducing the MT to their lineup.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
And people wonder why I prefer manual transmissions. Full freedom to skip-shift or not at any engine speed. God bless JLR for re-introducing the MT to their lineup.
Not sure I understand your point. The C6 Z06 was only available with a 6-speed manual transmission complete with skip-shift. Your freedom to shift from 1st at low rpm was limited in the sense that it forced you into 4th. You defeated it by delaying your shift to around 3K, which was ironic from a fuel economy standpoint. But, by including it, they "fooled" the EPA testing process and gained a much better than real-world fuel economy rating.

You have the same full freedom in the F-Type with ZF automatic, as you will in your manual by driving it in manual mode, and as I said in a different post, there are 5 easy ways to never see eco-mode. How do you know there won't be some sort of fuel-saving feature (e.g. eco-mode, or skip-shift) on the manual F-Type? Jaguar is in trouble with their CAFE ratings.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-30-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure I understand your point. The C6 Z06 was only available with a 6-speed manual transmission complete with skip-shift. Your freedom to shift from 1st at low rpm was limited in the sense that it forced you into 4th. .
I had no clue they f***ed with the MT in that manner. That truly is an overreach of big brother. Did anyone come up with a wiring or software hack to resolve that intrusion? I'm hoping the F-Type MT is not plagued so.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

I had no clue they f***ed with the MT in that manner. That truly is an overreach of big brother. Did anyone come up with a wiring or software hack to resolve that intrusion? I'm hoping the F-Type MT is not plagued so.
Yes, someone developed and marketed a $30 or so "plug" that disabled the skip-shift. On the underside of the transmission, there was a cable that could be unplugged, the plug was inserted on one side with the two ends hooked back together. I think all it really did was interrupt the skip-shift circuit. I didn't bother. I just never shifted out of 1st until 3K or higher.

It's the same with my F-Type. First thing I do after starting the car and selecting D, is moving the handle to the left (sport-shift), and flipping the switch to dynamic mode. At that point, it is a fully manual car, and eco-mode is disabled. Actually, it's disabled any time you're in sport shift w/o dynamic mode, or anytime you're in automatic with dynamic mode.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (01-30-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, someone developed and marketed a $30 or so "plug" that disabled the skip-shift. On the underside of the transmission, there was a cable that could be unplugged, the plug was inserted on one side with the two ends hooked back together. I think all it really did was interrupt the skip-shift circuit. I didn't bother. I just never shifted out of 1st until 3K or higher.

It's the same with my F-Type. First thing I do after starting the car and selecting D, is moving the handle to the left (sport-shift), and flipping the switch to dynamic mode. At that point, it is a fully manual car, and eco-mode is disabled. Actually, it's disabled any time you're in sport shift w/o dynamic mode, or anytime you're in automatic with dynamic mode.
Kind of manual...except no clutch.

Like lhoboy, I want full control of shifting and that includes a shifter and a clutch.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
Kind of manual...except no clutch.

Like lhoboy, I want full control of shifting and that includes a shifter and a clutch.
I understand. The F-Type is the first automatic car, I've ever owned. I had no choice, but it was the first automatic I've driven in 45 years of driving that impressed me. If I were buying 6-12 months from now, it would be a 6MT convertible.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

"For the driving enthusiast, the F-TYPE and F-TYPE S RWD models offer a choice of a 6-speed manual transmission designed for the sports car purist." - JLR

Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyglasscircle
i have the same thing happening with ECO+Park. i effing hate it...nothing like pulling up in this sweet ride put it in park and the effing car dies with the top stuck half up...sigh. imho, it feels like this is some sort of bug that the designers/engineers just haven't addressed.
Figured out the problem for me. The car shuts off completely only when I unbuckle the seatbelt. So I have to let the top fully close or windows to fully go up before I can unlatch the seat belt.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkong79
Figured out the problem for me. The car shuts off completely only when I unbuckle the seatbelt. So I have to let the top fully close or windows to fully go up before I can unlatch the seat belt.
Ooh, I'll have to remember to try that. I leave it in Dynamic most of the time, but every once in a while, this catches me.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I will, but I love my ftype....2 issues
There is an adjusting noise of some kind coming from over left shoulder to the rear.
There is a tapping noise coming from engine, I've taken it to 2 dealers, told 3 different things, breakin period, still at 10,000 miles?, fuel injectors, told that they were gonna replace them, never did but I haven't pursued the issue yet, going to wait till15,000 service,
And I thought it was valves ticking, I'm using 93 exclusively so timing or valves.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Masher02
There is a tapping noise coming from engine, ...
When is it tapping: at idle, all the time, under load, etc.? Is the tapping louder under specific circumstances?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Masher02
Ok, I will, but I love my ftype....2 issues

There is a tapping noise coming from engine, I've taken it to 2 dealers, told 3 different things, breakin period, still at 10,000 miles?, fuel injectors, told that they were gonna replace them, never did but I haven't pursued the issue yet, going to wait till15,000 service,
And I thought it was valves ticking, I'm using 93 exclusively so timing or valves.
I hear the tapping/ticking noise too....also am wondering if i need to take it in. I only really hear it driving slowly in the mornings...but it's there...has anyone else dealt with this?

Old 03-01-2015, 04:01 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by johney5
I hear the tapping/ticking noise too....also am wondering if i need to take it in. I only really hear it driving slowly in the mornings...but it's there...has anyone else dealt with this?
I have experienced this too on a loan V6S vehicle. It was a July 2013 early car the dealer provided me whilst my car was in. It sounds like a poorly adjusted tappet at tick over.

I would get the dealership to look at it carefully as I've heard of a few engine failures, but never the detail of why. Autocar magazine in the UK was one of those who were to experience this failure.

As with all these concerns, raise it with the CRC. They'll typically not do much other than point you at the dealer, but let me assure you that its critical to get everything properly on file with them and Jag Tech if it becomes worse in any way. They have a very nasty way of avoiding blame otherwise.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

If the tapping only occurs when the engine is cold, that can be normal. The hydraulic lifters can't adjust properly until the oil warms up. That's just one of the reasons that revving the engine while it's cold is detrimental.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

If the tapping only occurs when the engine is cold, that can be normal. The hydraulic lifters can't adjust properly until the oil warms up. That's just one of the reasons that revving the engine while it's cold is detrimental.
Actually, my experience was when the engine was hot.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
I wonder if it is a tapping or a knock. Can you lift the hood when it is warm and record the sound? You may need a second person to raise the rpms up and down as well while you record.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mawheele
Full throttle or cruise (or neutral)?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

there are no hydraulic lifters in the engine . Both V6 and V8 are using graded
tappets to adjust valve gap . To correct a misaligned valve gap you have to
remove the whole camshaft ! Most of the dealers are clueless about this
because valve gap adjustment is never mentioned or recommended in Jags maintenance shedule.

Regards
Ulrich

Quick Reply: Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues