F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level overfilled

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 08:39 PM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Oil level overfilled

I know this has been covered in many of the forums as I found the short cut on the XK threads. But I’m bored and thought I would share...,

a couple of days ago I took my car out of mothballs and let her run awhile in the garage. I shut it down waited 10-15 minutes and checked the oil level. “Overfilled”. Now I was puzzled because the oil was changed at the dealer before putting her away the the level was “okay” then. So I called the dealership and inquired as now I had read “ do not drive when overfilled”. The nice guy said to me, drive the car a day or two so the oil can make it back into the the nooks and crannies and if still full bring her in to the shop. Day 1 drove 60 miles and still reading overfilled, day 2 drove another 60 miles back and forth to work and pulled her back into the garage. During this time I read of the short cut to check the oil without having to wait. ( open hood, go to check oil level and if not displayed hit the cruise control cancel button several times) Walla...oil level okay !!!

These forums teach me something almost everyday! Thank you all

Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR
I know this has been covered in many of the forums as I found the short cut on the XK threads. But I’m bored and thought I would share...,

a couple of days ago I took my car out of mothballs and let her run awhile in the garage. I shut it down waited 10-15 minutes and checked the oil level. “Overfilled”. Now I was puzzled because the oil was changed at the dealer before putting her away the the level was “okay” then. So I called the dealership and inquired as now I had read “ do not drive when overfilled”. The nice guy said to me, drive the car a day or two so the oil can make it back into the the nooks and crannies and if still full bring her in to the shop. Day 1 drove 60 miles and still reading overfilled, day 2 drove another 60 miles back and forth to work and pulled her back into the garage. During this time I read of the short cut to check the oil without having to wait. ( open hood, go to check oil level and if not displayed hit the cruise control cancel button several times) Walla...oil level okay !!!

I'd still go back and check the paperwork to see if they put too much in. The last three times, the dealer has put 7.25 l in (billed for 8 l) when my AWD only takes 6.5. You'd think Jaguar would update the service instructions...

The following users liked this post:
Tp10XKR (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Since you are local, what dealership do you trust your F-Type to? I just got mine back from the dealership and see that it has been overfilled, so I will have to bring it back tomorrow or Friday. They told me that I'm reading it incorrectly, but I'm quite sure their service manual is incorrect, as others have posted!

Old 04-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by camstang6907
Since you are local, what dealership do you trust your F-Type to? I just got mine back from the dealership and see that it has been overfilled, so I will have to bring it back tomorrow or Friday. They told me that I'm reading it incorrectly, but I'm quite sure their service manual is incorrect, as others have posted!
I have used both Jaguar of Mainline and Willow Grove. Mainline treated me really well with my XKR and did warranty work with no questions asked. But I feel most of their clients lease or are just so rich they don’t care about their cars like I do....so the cars are treated with a heavy hand. So I switched to Willow Grove which is more blue collar IMO. They have been perfect so far.

WIllow Grove demo their show room a couple weeks ago and are operating out of a smaller building right now until the new dealership is built. Since no cars can be sold currently they have a large inventory.

Last edited by Tp10XKR; 04-08-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:25 AM

I have used both Jaguar of Mainline and Willow Grove. Mainline treated me really well with my XKR and did warranty work with no questions asked. But I feel most of their clients lease or are just so rich they don’t care about their cars like I do....so the cars are treated with a heavy hand. So I switched to Willow Grove which is more blue collar IMO. They have been perfect so far.

WIllow Grove demo their show room a couple weeks ago and are operating out of a smaller building right now until the new dealership is built. Since no cars can be sold currently they have a large inventory.
Thanks for the tip! Main Line is closest to me, but I haven't taken it there because I was a little irritated by their sales department. I called them about a local F-Type R, as I wanted to see if they could get it in and CPO it. They were willing to do it, but said they wouldn't bother to even call the other dealership once I mentioned that the vehicle was priced too high. They knew the other dealer and also knew that he wouldn't budge on the price. The other dealer actually ended up coming down $7k, but oh well, I found a better car anyway.

I took it to West Chester, and will be taking it back there today. It may be the last time, as they are insisting that I'm not reading the oil level correctly. I told them that my invoice reflects 8 quarts of oil even though my oil pan only takes 6.9. They told me to bring it in and a technician would show me how to check it! Needless to say, I'm getting frustrated!

The following users liked this post:
Tp10XKR (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 12:02 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks for the tip! Main Line is closest to me, but I haven't taken it there because I was a little irritated by their sales department. I called them about a local F-Type R, as I wanted to see if they could get it in and CPO it. They were willing to do it, but said they wouldn't bother to even call the other dealership once I mentioned that the vehicle was priced too high. They knew the other dealer and also knew that he wouldn't budge on the price. The other dealer actually ended up coming down $7k, but oh well, I found a better car anyway.

I took it to West Chester, and will be taking it back there today. It may be the last time, as they are insisting that I'm not reading the oil level correctly. I told them that my invoice reflects 8 quarts of oil even though my oil pan only takes 6.9. They told me to bring it in and a technician would show me how to check it! Needless to say, I'm getting frustrated!
Thats a decent overfill. You might try asking them to tow it under the roadside assistance warranty, which they probably won't. At that point get it in writing/email that if their service dept overfilled and their advice to drive the car results in damage, it is on them. You might ask them to send a driver to pick it up, too. If they won't accept that risk, then it is back to sending the tow.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-09-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

They probably didn't put in a full 8 quarts. The round up for billing purposes.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
They probably didn't put in a full 8 quarts. The round up for billing purposes.
I don't think it was that overfilled, but it was definitely overfilled. The mechanic admitted that they usually assume it's a RWD car. He suctioned some out, and now it's fine.

​​​​​​Unfortunately, I also noticed that the navigation hasn't worked since I brought it back from the dealer. It doesn't seem to know quite where I am, and is off by about 20 miles or so. The dealer disconnected the battery, and the time won't even update automatically now, so something is wrong. They wanted me to leave it there again and give me a loaner. Not a chance! I'll take it somewhere else to figure that out!

Old 04-10-2020, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

@camstang6907 One 'trip' you can still take (even in PA) is through the SETTINGS and menus.

I'd hook up a battery maintainer before you begin.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

I don't think it was that overfilled, but it was definitely overfilled. The mechanic admitted that they usually assume it's a RWD car. He suctioned some out, and now it's fine.

​​​​​​Unfortunately, I also noticed that the navigation hasn't worked since I brought it back from the dealer. It doesn't seem to know quite where I am, and is off by about 20 miles or so. The dealer disconnected the battery, and the time won't even update automatically now, so something is wrong. They wanted me to leave it there again and give me a loaner. Not a chance! I'll take it somewhere else to figure that out!
My dealer overfilled the oil on my 2018 last year at its first and only annual mainenance visit, and I have my second year visit scheduled for later this month, dreading the idea that they may do the same thing again.
Coincidentally, on the navigation issue, mine began malfunctioning on February 4, 2020 and was off by about 4-5 miles; but it began functioning properly on March 30 for no apparent reason. I didn't try any resets or anything because I wanted the dealer to diagnose the problem and fix it. Now I fear I will get the all too often "we couldn't replicate the problem" nonsense. I don't use it that much cuz it sucks, but I still want it to work like it's suppose to.
BTW I know the exact time period of malfunction from interrogating the Journeys feature of the Jaguar Remote app.