F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part of roof mechanism not laying flat when top is down

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Part of roof mechanism not laying flat when top is down

I'm not sure if my F-Type has always been like this or if it just happened, but I just noticed it...

There's a piece of the roof mechanism not laying flat when the top is down. It's one of the covers of the well into which the top recedes. I am concerned that something is stuck in there, or that maybe the part itself is going to get deformed if it stays like this.

I'm going to bring it to the dealer today but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into this.

Attached Thumbnails Part of roof mechanism not laying flat when top is down-wp_20130727_005.jpg   Part of roof mechanism not laying flat when top is down-wp_20130727_004.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tai4de2
I'm not sure if my F-Type has always been like this or if it just happened, but I just noticed it...

There's a piece of the roof mechanism not laying flat when the top is down. It's one of the covers of the well into which the top recedes. I am concerned that something is stuck in there, or that maybe the part itself is going to get deformed if it stays like this.

I'm going to bring it to the dealer today but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into this.
Please let us know what the dealer finds, I will keep and eye on mine.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof

Hope your problem is simple to address and your dealer is quick and capable. At least one other new owner has a running story line of major, repeat top problems on another F forum. Does not sound like the same thing you are experiencing, though.
Good luck.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 AM

On Saturdays they only have Range Rover guys available in the service department, so it will get looked at early this coming week.

Interestingly, another F-Type on the dealer's lot *seems* to manifest a very slight version of the same issue. I might just be seeing things now...

I'll report back once I have any answers or info.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:09 PM

The dealer adjusted this a little and it's maybe 30% better. They need to talk to Jaguar to get any further.

I suppose this kind of thing is to be expected on one of the first production runs of a completely new model. It's not impacting my driving experience or ability to put the top up and down so I'm not all that bothered.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tai4de2
The dealer adjusted this a little and it's maybe 30% better. They need to talk to Jaguar to get any further.

I suppose this kind of thing is to be expected on one of the first production runs of a completely new model. It's not impacting my driving experience or ability to put the top up and down so I'm not all that bothered.
Hello!

I am the happy owner of Jaguar FType S from 03.2013, so one of the first version. I just bought it in germany and brought it back in my country, Switzerland.

After few weeks I am experiencing the same type of issue:
- the plastic cover did not lay down correctly
- I pushed it down manually, it made a "clac" noise
- When I opened up the roof after, it made again strange "clac" noise
- Now when I open or close the roof, sometimes, I would say most of time, it makes stranges noise, a little bit worrying!

So I will bring it to the dealer (hoppefully there is the guaranty) for checking, I hope the whole mechanism does need to be changed...

By the way tai4de2, was your problem completely solved then?!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found out part of the issue:

I compared the two sides and I saw the "faulty" right side has a problem with the setting: the flap is not going up enough, it misses something like 2 cms and so the mechanism is touching hardly the plastic flap each it goes down or up...

The good news is that I can pull it up to the last 2 cm manually so that everthing is moving smoothly, anyway I need to go the repair shop for recovering the orginal setting...

maybe I did wrong somethings the first time when I put down the plastic part manually...

Not easy to see on the picture... If you compare left and right plastic part you can see the mechanism schatches the plastic on one side...