F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle(s) driving me crazy- need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Received 61 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rattle(s) driving me crazy- need help!

Hi all great forum- I have spend hours reading threads on here both before and since getting my car (2015 V6S coupe AWD storm grey)
However I'm now having problems with a rattle from under the bonnet which is driving me crazy. I took the car for its last warranty service and reported this problem but a combination of it's intermittent and they weren't really able to replicate plus there is an aftermarket exhaust which they blamed meant it wasn't fixed....

so looks like I have to try and work this out myself... here's the clues. if anyone can help me solve this theres my gratitude and booze in it for you!:

1. quite high pitched metallic rattly noise intermittently
2. from under the bonnet but seems quite close to dash
3. occasionally when i go over bumps or uneven road i hear a rattle which sounds like the same thing. sounds like a metal rod or coat hanger rattling against metal.
4. when it really gets going it's most noticeable at IDLE when it sounds like a fluttering spinning rattle, like something driven off the cam. this happens in gear and in neutral or park and can get loud- it's intermittent but happens most drive over half and hour -- everyone who's been in the car comments on it (except of course the service guy when it didn't happen..)
5. weirdly, when its really rattling at idle, it will usually go away if i turn the steering wheel???

This is really killing me- i don't care if parts have to be replaced... I'm thinking: tensioner? aircon (happens with this off though)? ?supercharger? something with the steering??

Any help would be so gratefully received.

adent

(ps- there's another buzz thats a problem but maybe leave that for another post...)

Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

A strange one for sure.
Lots of those symptoms sound like it's the classic torsion isolator/coupler rattle, but others suggest otherwise (close to dash, going over bumps, goes away with turning the steering wheel none of which make any sense if it was the coupler).
Sounds more like a loose exhaust heat shield, in the central tunnel just after the cats/downpipes.
Get it up on a hoist and poke around in that area.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:10 AM
Received 61 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks oz- that does sound like a possibility- especially seeing as prev owner had an exhaust mod done. i'll check it out. thanks

Old 10-09-2018, 01:09 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by adent
I'm now having problems with a rattle from under the bonnet which is driving me crazy.
As one suffering from tinnitus, I can only say - the less attention you pay to a sound, the less it bothers you...

But of course, your car should be rattle free

Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Hi all great forum- I have spend hours reading threads on here both before and since getting my car (2015 V6S coupe AWD storm grey)
However I'm now having problems with a rattle from under the bonnet which is driving me crazy. I took the car for its last warranty service and reported this problem but a combination of it's intermittent and they weren't really able to replicate plus there is an aftermarket exhaust which they blamed meant it wasn't fixed....

so looks like I have to try and work this out myself... here's the clues. if anyone can help me solve this theres my gratitude and booze in it for you!:

3. occasionally when i go over bumps or uneven road i hear a rattle which sounds like the same thing. sounds like a metal rod or coat hanger rattling against metal.
4. when it really gets going it's most noticeable at IDLE when it sounds like a fluttering spinning rattle, like something driven off the cam. this happens in gear and in neutral or park and can get loud- it's intermittent but happens most drive over half and hour -- everyone who's been in the car comments on it (except of course the service guy when it didn't happen..)
5. weirdly, when its really rattling at idle, it will usually go away if i turn the steering wheel???

This is really killing me- i don't care if parts have to be replaced... I'm thinking: tensioner? aircon (happens with this off though)? ?supercharger? something with the steering??

adent

(ps- there's another buzz thats a problem but maybe leave that for another post...)
Search prior threads. Pretty certain your symptoms are nearly IDENTICAL to another whom had his supercharger (I think) replaced under warranty. Try a number of different search terms like "engine rattle" or "supercharge noise", etc
Here are a few I found "Supercharger coupler" is the one I thought sounded familiar
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...rattle-194718/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...500rpm-202506/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-ideas-198194/

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-10-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:29 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Here's the TSB for the supercharger issue, but it only applies to the V8. Don't recall if anyone's had this issue with a V6...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4itzi5b6rw...Noise.pdf?dl=0

Old 10-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Here's the TSB for the supercharger issue, but it only applies to the V8. Don't recall if anyone's had this issue with a V6...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4itzi5b6rwwqpdo/JTB00349v2%20-%205.0L%20Supercharger%20Noise.pdf?dl=0
I believe it's only been an issue with the TVS1900 supercharger.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I believe it's only been an issue with the TVS1900 supercharger.
Nup, also applies to the TVS1320 (??) on the V6, I had the snout/coupler replaced on mine under warranty about 18 months ago and there is a separate TSB for the V6, JTB00356NAS1 attached below (although there could by now be a later version).
I posted about it on another thread somewhere and commented that I couldn't really detect much if any change in the rattle after the "fix".

Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Too low-rez to be legible, unfortunately. However, Google pointed me to another forum where you posted legible images.
https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1065505

From your Dropbox to mine - thanks.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm having a similar buzzing metallic rattle above 4K rpm, someone suggested looking at the metal AC line running along the driver's side of the engine bay and adding some rubber isolator.

Last edited by Miauuu; 10-13-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:18 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Active exhaust vacuum pump makes a buzzing metallic sound, though I can only hear it closer to idle. You could temporarily pull fuse F43 (under the passenger footwell) to see if that’s it.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:26 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

adent

Hi, I have gone through 50 plus rattle threads on here reading all the issues. One member had a similar rattle under the bonnet and what fixed it was tightening the clamps that lock the hood down. They can become loose and cause a rattle.

hope that helps