XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Just bought this cat and it is already driving me crazy,, please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 02:34 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Just bought this cat and it is already driving me crazy,, please help

hey guys/gals

Just bought this 2012 XF 5.0 Portfolio with 53000 miles from a private seller. I inspected the car my self and took it to a dealership for a full inspection. Dealer told me that the vehicle is 100% excellent except a leaking water pump/outlet pipe. I approved the repairs and they called me few hours later to pick up the vehicle.

Picked up the vehicle and everything was excellent. Drove it home (400 miles away) and on the way home I noticed that the radiator cooling fans were going crazy. They were operating at maximum speed. I thought that might be normal because it was a hot day but at 50mph I thought they would be running less than full speed. Anyways got home and shut the car for few hours to let it rest and then went out for a drive because I just couldn't wait till the next day because of the excitement of having a new cat.

Drove it for an hour and everything seemed fine, no fans operating at full speed or anything that seemed unusual. However, at idle (Wether in N, D or P) the vehicle RPMs seem to keep jumping up and down by 100 rpms. There is no check engine light or warnings on the dash just the jumpy idle

Here are the links to the videos I took,, please let me know what you think and if you had this problem before and how did you go about fixing it.

and also

Old 07-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Try doing a hard reset on the car by disconnecting the battery overnight, then take it out and drive it like you stole it.

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (07-17-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Try doing a hard reset on the car by disconnecting the battery overnight, then take it out and drive it like you stole it.
That was the first thing I did except the (drive it like you stole it part) lol. It idled fine at cold start but then when got to normal operating temperature problem reoccurred.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have the MAF sensors been cleaned (ever)? Either way, it's an extremely easy job to do and there's a write up on this forum. Just be careful not to drop the torx screw(s) into the black hole that is your engine bay. For the life of me, I could not find where mine pinged off to and apparently there is no part number for those screws.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by hendogg8
Have the MAF sensors been cleaned (ever)? Either way, it's an extremely easy job to do and there's a write up on this forum. Just be careful not to drop the torx screw(s) into the black hole that is your engine bay. For the life of me, I could not find where mine pinged off to and apparently there is no part number for those screws.
Did you have a similar problem? and did the solution you suggested cured it?
Just curious but thanks for the input

Old 07-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by croco
When mine starts to idle less smooth, I always just clean the MAF's and all returns to normal. Takes 5 min. a side max., even the first time. Super easy.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by croco
IIRC there's posts about rough idle or rough acceleration problems relieved with MAF sensor cleaning. Either way, I can't see any downsides as your engine gets a better air reading, which will result in smoother idle and power delivery.

From my own personal experience, I gradually experienced a "rough" idle where I could feel every other-other engine vibration transmit through the chassis which was never present before. The tach was not surging like in your video though and I didn't want it to progress any further, so I cleaned my MAF's and no longer experience said symptoms.

EDIT: Precisely what Kyanite said.

Last edited by hendogg8; 07-15-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:40 PM

I will try that and report back,, meanwhile I am still open for any other suggestions

thanks folks

Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check for vacuum leaks. Mine sounds like that when I unscrew the oil filler cap.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by nsl1
Check for vacuum leaks. Mine sounds like that when I unscrew the oil filler cap.
I looked but I gave up. Couldn't find anything. Taking it to the dealer in a few days. Till then, I won't be taking this cat out

Old 07-17-2017, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just an idea-

it has happen to me before . But aft removing the air duct (intake pipe) . See if the pipe next to the left side driver did not come loose , they are under pressure and can get undone small pipe about 3/4 of an inch ... just take a look . Hope that helps

The following users liked this post:
croco (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 323jag-
it has happen to me before . But aft removing the air duct (intake pipe) . See if the pipe next to the left side driver did not come loose , they are under pressure and can get undone small pipe about 3/4 of an inch ... just take a look . Hope that helps
When the dealer replaced the water pump 400 miles ago, they removed the parts you are talking about. Now I can only assume being a dealer and certified technicians that they put everything back in it's place, but I could be wrong. I will check on it tonight when I get back home.

Thanks for the input.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Wink

Always have stayed AWAY from the dealer service dept's with any and all of my vehicles, two, or four wheel's! Dealer for their parts, is about all the money they ever get from me, with my shop discount, i can almost afford to pay for those parts.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:49 PM

****UPDATE********

My vehicle is at the dealership (different dealership from the one that replaced the water pump and hoses). I got the call yesterday and they are telling me that my cooling fan is out and they are replacing the fan with labor total comes to $1100. I don't know if the previous dealer is to be blamed since they repaired the water pump but overfilled the coolant and the fans been going crazy for the past week.

They are also cleaning the sunroof and lubricating it for $118.

As for the surging idle they are going to check for vacuum leaks and clean the MAFs and see how that goes since they can't find an error code or check engine light.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Really great cars when you get them sorted out, they fly, & float like a magic carpet. Anything used that you buy used needs something fixed, seems that's the reason it was sold.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 PM

Ok here is the update,,

I got my car back and I am f***ing pissed. They replaced the fans but still, any time I drive it for longer than 30 minutes the fan would kick on and run on high speeds and never settle until I shut the car off, which I hate because I feel like the vehicle temp is high and one should never shut down a vehicle while it is hot. Although I tend to drive in a straight road at a speed of no less than 45mph for 10 minutes right before I turn in home so it should have had a good amount of time to cool down.

The surging Idle is still there and I am pissed because when I asked my service Advisor said that his tech did not clean the maf sensors.

I don't want to touch it because I payed them to fix the damn thing and they said the would but I got my car and as soon as I got home (85miles away from the dealer) all the symptoms that I took it in for came back.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

What is the actual temp?

OBD will read it...

Old 07-28-2017, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Funny thing is a bad or loosely connected temperature sender will cause all the issues you've mentioned.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:50 PM

I got engine systems fault which appeared on the center dash screen. restarted the vehicle and it went away. It left some codes stored if someone can help me figure out these cause I couldn't find the PDF that has the DTC summary like I had for my 2004 XJ

P1104
P0007
U2802
C0700