F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear fender rolling?

Old 08-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Rear fender rolling?

Can anyone confirm if our rear fenders can be rolled? My new tires just "barely" scrape the tab where the rear bumper meets the quarter panel on big dips in the road and I would like to eliminate that all together by having that section professionally done. I know they are aluminum and I know the front cannot be rolled due to the hood technically being the top part of the fender but I just would like confirmation on the rears!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Just do it the old school way with a baseball bat! lol

Old 08-15-2017, 12:55 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Not really. If you stick your finger in there and feel above the lip, you'll find a much thicker lip that you will not roll. It could be "finessed" a tiny bit, but gotta be careful not to distort panel.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:09 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Can anyone confirm if our rear fenders can be rolled? My new tires just "barely" scrape the tab where the rear bumper meets the quarter panel on big dips in the road and I would like to eliminate that all together by having that section professionally done. I know they are aluminum and I know the front cannot be rolled due to the hood technically being the top part of the fender but I just would like confirmation on the rears!

I had mine rolled while the car was in the shop for some minor corrections from a rear fender bender. One quarter panel was being painted anyway. The other required painting after the paint cracked while the tech was manipulating the lip, which he warned me might happen ahead of time.

This from one of the leading OC experts in Aluminum body repairs.

Talk to JVIII, he had the fender lips cut back substantially, from the stock width of approximately 15mm (off the top of my head), to around 3 or 4mm. Really noticeable if you feel the inside of his fenders. I would like to know who did his work.

Here's the rub, literally... if a Rolled lip rubs the tire under any driving condition, the effect on the tire is undetectable. If a cut lip contacts the tire under any driving condition, it WILL cut the tire.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Just do it the old school way with a baseball bat! lol
You mean that's not the correct way to do it?!?!? Lol

Originally Posted by IronMike
I had mine rolled while the car was in the shop for some minor corrections from a rear fender bender. One quarter panel was being painted anyway. The other required painting after the paint cracked while the tech was manipulating the lip, which he warned me might happen ahead of time.

This from one of the leading OC experts in Aluminum body repairs.

Talk to JVIII, he had the fender lips cut back substantially, from the stock width of approximately 15mm (off the top of my head), to around 3 or 4mm. Really noticeable if you feel the inside of his fenders. I would like to know who did his work.

Here's the rub, literally... if a Rolled lip rubs the tire under any driving condition, the effect on the tire is undetectable. If a cut lip contacts the tire under any driving condition, it WILL cut the tire.
All taken care of. My buddy referred me to a guy that is well known in Orange County and he was able to take the car in after work this evening. Super cool guy that knows his stuff and supposedly has done thousands of cars in our area. He took his time and REALLY cares about the details of his work. No rolling was needed. The tab that meets the rear bumper just needed to be trimmed and transitioned across about a 4" space. It immediately took care of the issue us lowered guys have on some of the heavy dips on the 5 freeway lol. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails Rear fender rolling?-img_5999.jpg  

Last edited by FR500GT; 08-15-2017 at 01:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Greggbhill (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
You mean that's not the correct way to do it?!?!? Lol

All taken care of. My buddy referred me to a guy that is well known in Orange County and he was able to take the car in after work this evening. Super cool guy that knows his stuff and supposedly has done thousands of cars in our area. He took his time and REALLY cares about the details of his work. No rolling was needed. The tab that meets the rear bumper just needed to be trimmed and transitioned across about a 4" space. It immediately took care of the issue us lowered guys have on some of the heavy dips on the 5 freeway lol. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow!

Excellent to hear. Would love that guys name and contact info!

Old 08-15-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by IronMike
Excellent to hear. Would love that guys name and contact info!
His name is Nathaniel
https://www.fat-stance.com/

Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 AM

Here you go:

Attached Thumbnails Rear fender rolling?-img_6002.jpg