Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view mirror with garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Calvert
That is interesting to know as I have a 2016 Coupe type R. I have done the same, in that I picked up a mirror with home link and auto high bean assist. The Homelink only works partially. The homelink yellow LED lights up when you press a button, and it will learn codes. However it doesn't transmit. I know this because I have bought a IR detector and it it doesn't register a signal. It does register a signal from my Range Rover fitted with Homelink, so it is definitely not transmitting.
Since yours worked, I can only come to the conclusion that the 2016 wiring doesn't support homelink, or the mirror has a fault. It would be interesting to know the wires connected to your mirror, to understand if there is a difference in the looms! I had kind of given up until I saw your post, as the brochure for the 2016 Coupe says on the option list you can not have auto high beam assist and homelink.
one thing that took awhile for me to figure out before I got thinks working on mine is that you have to hold the button for 1-2 seconds before it transmits the signal. That’s not needed on any other remote I’ve ever had. Momentary contact was sufficient.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:44 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

+1. I still have to push the button twice sometimes. And the previous post mentioned an 'IR detector' - don't know what that is, but Homelink uses RF (Radio Frequency), not IR (Infrared). Never paid attention to what frequency, but I used an oscilloscope at work to figure out I had bad battery contacts on a handheld garage door opener.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

sorry yes the detector tells you what frequency is being transmitted. As I say I tested it with my range rover homelink and it showed 433mhz being transmitted. With the Jag, Nothing is being detected, and I have tried multiple presses, long presses etc. The Homelink in the RR is the same with 3 buttons on the bottom of the mirror. That works fine and also needs a 1-2 s press also. Thanks for everyone's contribution though :-)

Old 10-03-2018, 09:23 AM

So to double check I removed the mirror with the Homelink buttons and checked the wiring connections. The mirror mount on the windscreen is shown with the cable to the right, with connections to all but one. The mirror connector, mirrors this exactly, missing one connector. So all physical connectivity seems to be there. So I have no idea why it doesnt work. As I say the homelink led flashes and seems to learn. just no transmit of the learnt signal ?

Connector on the mirror

Connector from overhead panel (on the right)

Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

get a bridge for your opener

Old 10-04-2018, 02:51 AM

A bridge won't help. The signal isn't being transmitted.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Can you swap the jag and RR mirrors and see if the RR works in the jag. That will tell you if it's the mirror itself or the connections

Old 10-07-2018, 06:41 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Rear View Mirror

Paul, sorry for delayed response, just spotted your issue. Here is what I do know...

1. My wiring looked very much like yours. I would be surprised if the pre-wired connections were different from 2016 and my 2017. Not having it apart, I cannot be sure, but I checked 2016 and 2017 wiring diagram(s) and they look very much the same.
2. I do note the rang on this unit sucks compared to most homelink units. I have two other cars and one standalone with Homelink and a rolling code unit, and they can punch through from 100 feet (I have big curved driveway). This one has to be no more than 30 feet and, more importantly, pointed right at the door(nose of car aimed at door). More than 30 degrees and not enough signal.
3. The programming was a pain. At first I had same issue as you. Mu process was..Empty the memory by pressing the two outside buttons for XX seconds per the instructions. Then follow the Rolling Code instructions explicitly . Timing was critical as was sequence. And do NOT try to program more than one button to same rolling code door..seems this makes unit screw up and nothing works (he says from experience!).
4. Homelink worked out of the box, but the auto High Beam function required me to use JLR SDD to reprogram (add) before it worked, but I did that and it works flawlessly now.

If this does not get you there, let me know, and I will do reality check by doing pictures of wiring. Is it possible you got a bum unit ?
best regards...ct

Old 10-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

[
4. Homelink worked out of the box, but the auto High Beam function required me to use JLR SDD to reprogram (add) before it worked, but I did that and it works flawlessly now.

If this does not get you there, let me know, and I will do reality check by doing pictures of wiring. Is it possible you got a bum unit ?
best regards...ct[/QUOTE]
Am I to understand from this that it is possible to reprogram my MY2018 that was not optioned with auto headlight dimming so that it acquires that feature? If so, how is that accomplished?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi fujicoupe...see you are also in SC! Glorious Weather eh? We should never pass an opportunity to mention that to our more northern buddies (ha!).

Yes, you can enable it, but you have to have the windshield / rear view housing mounted sensor that is a common option with the Homelink mirror. Happens that the Homelink unit I bought on e-b*y included both (I got lucky). If you want to see it, I suggest looking at one of the online Jag parts suppliers ...I see mirror with Homelink and auto dim part number is Part Number: T2R5420, Mirror inside 2014-17, garage opener, w/auto dim

Old 10-07-2018, 09:20 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Presumably, you’d have to add a rear view mirror with the auto high beam sensors. I doubt they’re on there unless you get that option.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Just a quick update, rather than try and swap the mirror with the one I have in the range rover, I bought one of those cheap 12v remote switch relays to test the Jag homelink mirror. It worked ! Since found out that the frequency detector I bought has a very limited range, a few cm's. Since the RR mirror is closer to the windscreen it detected that because the jag mirror is set further back, it didn't pick it up. So that leaves me with the conclusion it clearly wont learn the rolling code of my gate, so I will have to get an adaptor :-).

Interesting though the later model of mirror, part number T2J1876, seems to be cheaper new. wonder if that has better compatibility ?