F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reason why F Type is cheaper in America vs Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reason why F Type is cheaper in America vs Canada?

I've been waiting for the right F Type for a little while, checking autotrader and Jaguar.ca Certified pre-owned. F-Types are mostly in the $60-70k CAD (48-56k USD) range from offbrand dealerships.

I just looked up F-Types on the American Autotrader and noticed there is quite a few from $50-60k CAD (40-48k USD). And these are from Jaguar with CPO. I get that there is more supply in America but thats a big difference.

I'm looking into importing cars now.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by DGMSTI
I've been waiting for the right F Type for a little while, checking autotrader and Jaguar.ca Certified pre-owned. F-Types are mostly in the $60-70k CAD (48-56k USD) range from offbrand dealerships.

I just looked up F-Types on the American Autotrader and noticed there is quite a few from $50-60k CAD (40-48k USD). And these are from Jaguar with CPO. I get that there is more supply in America but thats a big difference.

I'm looking into importing cars now.
I would start by considering the value of the US dollar vrs. the value of the Canadian dollar.
Lawrence

Old 07-24-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I would start by considering the value of the US dollar vrs. the value of the Canadian dollar.
Lawrence
I wrote in the value in CAD and US. Is there more to the value?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DGMSTI
I wrote in the value in CAD and US. Is there more to the value?
There is less competition in Canada & they can get away with higher prices. Cost of houses, cheese, eggs, tires, jeans, gasoline etc. It's higher. Every label has to be in French and English etc.

It's not just a direct conversion from US$ to CAD.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

UK is far higher than US if you just do a GBP to USD conversion - and they make the things over there!

Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Isn't this mostly due to governmental taxes and duties?

Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Yep, well at least in Oz it is.
Even allowing for conversion rates the F-Type in Oz is between two and three times the cost it is in the US, it's criminal.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This is not tax situation. You can export US car, pay tax at the border and still be ahead than buying in Canada.

Sadly, this is because automakers, including JLR, can charge more and get away with it. If you buy car in US and bring it over to Canada, many brands will also deny you warranty. With exception of Ford, Chrysler and Honda who will honor cross-border warranty.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Comparing automotive prices across borders is an exercise in futility. There are simply too many variables to keep track of. Having said that the US is probably the most competitive market in the world.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Nope. Not one penny on the pre-sales tax price which is what's being compared.

Generally speaking all cars are cheaper in the US than Canada, including car built in Canada and exported south.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I wasn't considering sales tax. Governmental taxes like in oz and some european countries. I'm not an expert in this area, just guessing.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 AM

I wasn't considering sales tax. Governmental taxes like in oz and some european countries. I'm not an expert in this area, just guessing.
I think he meant that all those extra fees don't show up until you start the paperwork, so they aren't listed in the sale price. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jaguar will deny warranty if you import the car? Dang that ruins any plans.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM

What fees?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

I have imported Jags from the US to Canada and my experience is that after paying all the fees, transporting the car, having the federal and provincial inspections done, attending to any modifications needed, the cost is not much different than buying a similar car in Canada in the first place. What is advantageous is that you are more likely to find the exact car you want in the US simply because of the greater number sold.
But I wonder if anyone can help with this: The US cars do not have metric instruments any more (they used to have dual mph-kmph readings): Canadian regulations require kmph readings on the speedometer. 1) Is it possible through the computer to change the readings or would a change require a new instrument pack (which makes importation well-nigh impossible)? 2) is it true that JLR Canada will not honour a warranty on a US car? Is this legally possible? If, so, why?

Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Canadians are too polite to argue about the price.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical

Yes, sorry about that!

Old 07-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Anchorman II

Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical

Ok the car will be fifty thousand
Sincerest apologies but I was pre-approved for sixty thousand
Im sorry, would you take it for forty?
Oh no, I don't want to be a bother. Please, take seventy thousand and this gift card to Tim Hortons
I'm so very sorry but my manager will be very apologetic if I refuse. You've got yourself a deal

And that is how the Canadian Blackbook value was born

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (07-27-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
I have imported Jags from the US to Canada and my experience is that after paying all the fees, transporting the car, having the federal and provincial inspections done, attending to any modifications needed, the cost is not much different than buying a similar car in Canada in the first place. What is advantageous is that you are more likely to find the exact car you want in the US simply because of the greater number sold.
But I wonder if anyone can help with this: The US cars do not have metric instruments any more (they used to have dual mph-kmph readings): Canadian regulations require kmph readings on the speedometer. 1) Is it possible through the computer to change the readings or would a change require a new instrument pack (which makes importation well-nigh impossible)? 2) is it true that JLR Canada will not honour a warranty on a US car? Is this legally possible? If, so, why?
So I emailed Jaguar a while back asking "If I were to import a Certified Pre-Owned Jaguar F-Type from America, would the warranty be affected at all?"

I got a response "Thank you for contacting the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center.

I appreciate your inquiry. A vehicle built for the North American Market can be brought from or to Canada/USA. Both countries do offer Certified Pre-owned vehicles so this warranty would be honored. Any additional warranties, such as a maintenance, or tire/wheel contract would not be honored in Canada. To determine what modifications would be needed on your vehicle, please contact an Authorized Jaguar Retailer in Canada. The cost of modifications is at the owners expense. You can locate a retailer here: https://www.jaguar.ca/en/retailer-locator/index.html"

What I'm getting out of it is that the normal warranty does not go away if you import the vehicle.

How much was replacing the speedometer? I don't think you can change it via software because I found on a different gov't website stating you must go to a Jaguar dealership to replace the speedometer.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

[QUOTE=DGMSTI;1737459]So I emailed Jaguar a while back asking "If I were to import a Certified Pre-Owned Jaguar F-Type from America, would the warranty be affected at all?"

I got a response "Thank you for contacting the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center.

I appreciate your inquiry. A vehicle built for the North American Market can be brought from or to Canada/USA. Both countries do offer Certified Pre-owned vehicles so this warranty would be honored. Any additional warranties, such as a maintenance, or tire/wheel contract would not be honored in Canada. To determine what modifications would be needed on your vehicle, please contact an Authorized Jaguar Retailer in Canada. The cost of modifications is at the owners expense. You can locate a retailer here:

https://www.jaguar.ca/en/retailer-locator/index.html"

What I'm getting out of it is that the normal warranty does not go away if you import the vehicle.

Thanks for this information - the response you received definitely does suggest that the CPO warranty would be honoured in Canada on a car imported from the US. It is not necessary to have the speedometer changed by a Jaguar dealer in my experience (the only requirement being that the car have a metric speedometer) but because so many aspects of the car's running are governed by the instrument cluster, it might be prudent to do so. There may well be differences between the mechanical and running specifications of Canadian vs US cars that simply installing a Canadian market instrument cluster either would not work or would cause further issues. I explored this possibility with an X350 and my dealer told me that it could not/should not be done for the reason I have just given. Too bad.