F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride quality - 18", 19", 20" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ride quality - 18", 19", 20" wheels

Hello, I test drove an f-type last week and it was great. However, I didn't pay attention to the wheel size. I was wondering, how is ride quality between 18", 19", 20" wheels on the f-type?

It seems like 18" could draw attention for looking too small these days. 20", although cool looking, may ride on the harsh side with increase tire wear and increased risk of wheel damage. So it seems like 19" may be the best compromise. What is your opinion?

The following users liked this post:
Tar1018 (02-19-2015)
Old 01-02-2014, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

It's got to get worse as the rim size goes up, for in compensation the rubber goes down. Everything's a compromise and one person's harsh ride is another's preference.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

No way I wanted 20" on New England roads, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the 19" on my V6S. The F-Type really has a nice ride.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

It depends a lot on the rest of the suspension tuning. I am having real problems with bad ride when it comes to my 2012 XJL using stock 19" wheels. On the other hand, the same wheels when transferred over to my 2012 XF provide a nice, rather firm but smooth ride.

When I did a short (10 miles) test drive with the V8 F-type using 20" wheels, I could hardly believe how much better it rode over the very same pavements when compared to my XJL and even the XF (of which I have no complaints.)

So, it really comes down to the car and your personal preferences.

Albert

Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Have to say the ride on the 20" wheels on my V8 is actually pretty good. Roads aren't always in great condition out here in NorCal but the car handles them well, both in normal and dynamic modes. Jaguar generally does a very good job in tuning suspensions (the roads back in the UK aren't always that special either and they do seem to have a very finely judged sense on how to set up a car to accommodate).

Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sold my Corvette Z06 with 18" front and 19" rear Michelin run flats. Although suspension may be a bigger factor, the 20"non-run flat Pirelli's on my new f-type V8S have a much smoother and more comfortable ride. On the other hand, the skid pad numbers aren't comparable, so it's largely a matter of what you prefer: ride quality or performance. I think the f-type wheel, tire, and suspension package is a nice compromise between the two. I was getting a little tired of coffee-up-the-nose-bumps with the Vette on my morning commute.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am very pleased with my 19 inch centrifuge wheels.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 19" vs. 20"

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have been lurking for some time.

The decision has been made - it is going to be F-Type S. Basically the only remaining decision is wheel size. What I have read/heard 19" is optimal for roads with below-average quality which are the roads I will be driving on. But I personally do not like much 19" wheel offering that comes with F-Type S, 20" wheels and their designs are far better in my eyes.

Has anyone compared 19" and 20" wheels for ride quality? Is 20" acceptable or significantly more harsh? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

My base car came with 18's, but after 3K miles, I found a set of 20" Gyrodynes, which I now have about 3K miles on, so I have a very good comparison of the largest and smallest wheel/tire setup on the same car.

I much prefer the 20s because the handling is noticeably sharper, and the ride is only slightly harsher, but it's a very small difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
jaguny (08-03-2015), ress (02-20-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 07:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for swift reply Foosh, appreciated. I'm happy that 20" is the way to go.

BTW - Gyrodynes are the best looking wheels!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

The only real way for a comparison is with the exact same tire brand/model. It is a fact that given the only variable being the wheel diameter, mode road noise will be transferred to the chassis. You have less sidewall so there is less absorption of the road noise from the tires. That's just a fact.

However, how bad is it? Most people don't find it that bad or at least bad enough to overcome how they want the vehicle to look from an aesthetic perspective. Also, I mention tires at first as some tires have softer more compliant sidewalls than others. With that, you can go from a fairly stiff sidewall 18" tire to a fairly soft sidewall 20" tire and not notice much of a difference of ride quality.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
The only real way for a comparison is with the exact same tire brand/model. It is a fact that given the only variable being the wheel diameter, mode road noise will be transferred to the chassis. You have less sidewall so there is less absorption of the road noise from the tires. That's just a fact.

However, how bad is it? Most people don't find it that bad or at least bad enough to overcome how they want the vehicle to look from an aesthetic perspective. Also, I mention tires at first as some tires have softer more compliant sidewalls than others. With that, you can go from a fairly stiff sidewall 18" tire to a fairly soft sidewall 20" tire and not notice much of a difference of ride quality.
What you say is undeniably true. However, my comparison was a practical one, which mimics a comparison of the choices available for order on an F-Type. I simply swapped the 18" OEM wheels and tires that came on my base F-Type convertible with the 20" OEM wheels and tires that came off an F-Type R Coupe.

As I said, it is somewhat harsher but it's neither a major difference, nor is it all that noticeable. It is somewhat noisier inside the cabin on the 20s on average, but the type and condition of the pavement is a bigger contributor to the level of cabin noise.

I've had 3K miles of experience on each on my particular car, and it's not just an aesthetic improvement. Handling is sharper, particularly turn-in, traction is better, and overall it feels more planted.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Handling is sharper, particularly turn-in, traction is better, and overall it feels more planted.
The "planted" feel will be subjective, but the responsiveness will be improved (again depending on tires). Given similar tires, there will more responsiveness with the shorter sidewalls (again with the tradeoff of transferring more road noise to the chassis).

The reason I keep bringing up "similar tires" is that all tires are not created equal. You can create the same pros/cons within the same tire size just by going with a more aggressive tire.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
The "planted" feel will be subjective, but the responsiveness will be improved (again depending on tires). Given similar tires, there will more responsiveness with the shorter sidewalls (again with the tradeoff of transferring more road noise to the chassis).

The reason I keep bringing up "similar tires" is that all tires are not created equal. You can create the same pros/cons within the same tire size just by going with a more aggressive tire.
Right, but I was responding to a couple of posters in this thread trying to figure out what size wheels and tires to order. They weren't asking about what kind of tires they could put on the car after they take delivery.

Your point was an academic exercise, mine was real-world pertaining to ordering an F-Type.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Your point was an academic exercise, mine was real-world pertaining to ordering an F-Type.
My point was providing the data behind the concept to explain why the opinions on the internet vary in this area and why one person's experience may be different than someone else's. I also wanted provide information on how to address the cons without necessarily changing sizes (i.e. different tire brand which is less performance oriented).

Just because things aren't too harsh for you doesn't mean it won't be for someone else.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Right again, but the people here were looking for advice/experience, and subjective impressions are all we have to offer regarding our cars, for the most part. There's not much else available, unless there's someone hanging out here with skid-pad measuring equipment, etc., and the wherewithall to compare an F-Type on multiple wheel and tire sizes of different brands.

It's no different than going to the Tire Rack website, and reading all the subjective reviews, which are generally all over the map. There really isn't a lot of "objective" data available with which to make a decision.

Perhaps you can find a way to offer more "scientific" data.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Perhaps you can find a way to offer more "scientific" data.
I could as most tire specs are available digging through manufacture published documentation, but would that really be beneficial for this conversation? Not really. You seem to be stirred up because I offered a more technical approach to the question. I'm not sure why but maybe this is just how you enjoy your day....

Old 02-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

LOL . . . I must have missed the "technical approach" you offered to someone trying to make a decision about out how to order their car with the OEM tires choices JLR makes for you, but I do enjoy a healthy debate. That's what I do for a living.

Having said that, I only engage in such discussions with people I respect. You are on that list because of your previous postings here over the several months now, as well as your high performance driving experience.

Obviously, there are all kinds of choices available to one with money to spend after the car is bought and paid for.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

I can't compare, I only have driven mine with the 20" wheels. Overall the ride is great, nicely balanced between firm and tight and comfort. However it is undeniable that over some of the sharper bumps you do get a bit of bashing and crashing from the suspension and speed bumps etc are quite harsh. But although noticeable it is never spine jarring.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by ress

btw - gyrodynes are the best looking wheels!
+1. Imo

Quick Reply: ride quality - 18", 19", 20" wheels