F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing dealer has "no idea" of in-service date?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
That's an old "Jersey Joke".

When a NJ resident is asked "Where are you from" we provide the Exit number, since most out-of state folks only experience NJ by travelling on the NJ Turnpike!
oh ok. Since I lived in Philly, every time I went to N.J. I got lost because of the roads are in circles. That said, I get lost when I go to the local shopping center to find a different store : )

Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,807 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Back in my dealership days ascertaining the original in-service date was routine procedure for the service desk staff. It's something they did umpteen times a day.... and then entered the date into the vehicle info file. Typically takes just a couple minutes....but I'm not familiar with any Jaguar-specific hurdles, if any exist.

But, switching to a more personal rant......

No matter what the nature of the question a response of "I have no idea" is extremely unprofessional. I hear it often from poorly trained customer service representatives in various industries. Very irritating; it suggests being, well, clueless. I was constantly jumping on staffers who used that expression until they broke the habit. It should be replaced with something like:

"I don't have that information at the moment but I can find it and report back"

"I'm not sure. I'll do some checking and find the answer"

"I don't know, but I'll find someone who does"

Grrrrrr.

Just a pet peeve

Cheers
DD

The following 5 users liked this post by Doug:
DJS (09-14-2018), jaguny (09-15-2018), Magical (09-14-2018), ndabunka (09-14-2018), scm (09-14-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I know I bought it on 11/16/17 so that should be the in-service date. Thanks for the offer but no real need to look it up as I am planning on taking it by there next week to have them investigate why it is showing a quart low. probably won't drive it until then anyway. May try to leverage the low oil as a reason to change since this will be the first oil change on this vehicle per Jaguar specs. Still a bit surprising to me that there isn't a "run-in" oil service for a $100K performance car but I'm just a consumer and being a crotchety old fart, I have my deep set opinions on what is right or not...LOl
What do you mean that it's showing a quart low? The car doesn't have the capability to tell you how low the oil level is (to my knowledge), only that it's low.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:36 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,401 Likes on 1,063 Posts

According to my manual (MY18) the possible messages are: "OK", "Overfilled", "Low", "Critically Low", "Add xx Litres", "Not Available" and "Engine Oil Level Monitor System Fault". For "Low" it says to add 1.5 litres and recheck the level. Maybe NA models show imperial, not metric.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,649 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
What do you mean that it's showing a quart low? The car doesn't have the capability to tell you how low the oil level is (to my knowledge), only that it's low.
Difference between top and bottom of “OK” range is about 1 qt.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Difference between top and bottom of “OK” range is about 1 qt.
Yep I know that. What I'm really getting at is that if he's showing a reading at the bottom of the display his oil level would not actually be low at all.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Magical (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Don1954
I was just referring to a Jersey skit on Saturday Night Live wherein Joe Piscapo played a dolt from NJ and would always ask, "What Exit" whenever anyone said, New Jersey".
NOBODY noticed my Location, did they?

Magical (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Don1954
I was just referring to a Jersey skit on Saturday Night Live wherein Joe Piscapo played a dolt from NJ and would always ask, "What Exit" whenever anyone said, New Jersey".
No Problem Don. As I scratched my head a few times wondering what you meant. Carbuff2 answered the question but I still scratched my head. I checked with my neighbor whom rides cycles with me, whom is from N.J. is a carbuff as well and he confirmed it's an old standing joke that when any says their from N.J. they automatically say what exit. lol
Of course when going to the beach, we all say going to the shore.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Talking

NOBODY noticed my Location, did they?
Your down the shore....lol
When anyone went to the Beach, they say the Shore : )

Last edited by Magical; 09-17-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

To be clear, the phrase is "going down the shore"

Not TO the shore. Whatsamatta? Fuggedaboutit!

Whatsamatta dictionary definition | whatsamatta defined

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...fuhgeddaboudit

Now, Back to Topic....

Magical (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:05 PM

To be clear, the phrase is "going down the shore"

Not TO the shore. Whatsamatta? Fuggedaboutit!

Whatsamatta dictionary definition | whatsamatta defined

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...fuhgeddaboudit

Now, Back to Topic....
hahahhaaa
It's obvious your Italian and your last name ends in a vowel...lol..as mine. Dimenticalo. meglio te ne dimentichi

Most people down the SHORE are Italian
https://youtu.be/z-CL9qVG9iI

la fine

Last edited by Magical; 09-17-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Ye know not of which you utter...LOL

See attached image that actually DOES say "Add 1 liter" rather than 1 quart. I guess it was my American English internal translator that had me thinking it was a quart down.

I didn't know it would provide the volumn that is low either until I checked the oil after it had been warmed up. Then using the "Open bonnet" technique of pushing the START button without foot on brake (so that the engine doesn't actually start), using the steering wheels toggle controls to maneuver to the "Vehicle Info" area & then hitting CAN(cel) twice to see this result. Please note that the drivers-side door MUST be open/ajar while doing this. If you close your drivers-side door you will get the second image details.

Drivers door open while performing the above measurement shows "ADD 1 liter"

Driver's door closed shows oil level at the bottom and the description of "Unidentified". Real helpful, right? LOL

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-18-2018 at 12:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ndabunka:
Carbuff2 (09-18-2018), jaguny (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,649 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Ye know not of which you utter...LOL

See attached image that actually DOES say "Add 1 liter" rather than 1 quart. I guess it was my American English internal translator that had me thinking it was a quart down.

I didn't know it would provide the volumn that is low either until I checked the oil after it had been warmed up. Then using the "Open bonnet" technique of pushing the START button without foot on brake (so that the engine doesn't actually start), using the steering wheels toggle controls to maneuver to the "Vehicle Info" area & then hitting CAN(cel) twice to see this result. Please note that the drivers-side door MUST be open/ajar while doing this. If you close your drivers-side door you will get the second image details.

Drivers door open while performing the above measurement shows "ADD 1 liter"

Driver's door closed shows oil level at the bottom and the description of "Unidentified". Real helpful, right? LOL
Interesting. I wonder if that feature is only available on the 2017+ models. I've never let my oil get that low to know if that feature is available on the MY16. Hopefully, I never find out that way.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Interesting. I wonder if that feature is only available on the 2017+ models. I've never let my oil get that low to know if that feature is available on the MY16. Hopefully, I never find out that way.
These cars never appear to "formally" alert us that they might be running low & mine has not either so according to the on-board system, it's not actually "low" so others might also find a similar condition were they to check their levels.

Even checking the oil level itself requires those additional steps that would not normally be performed by 99.9% of the population so it's highly likely that most drivers would have no idea that their oil level was reducing. My A-type personality forces me to check these things due to having learned before I bought it that some others had experienced oil starvation failures so I find myself checking the level about once a month or so. Do you now of a simpler process for checking that doesn't require opening the bonnet?

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-18-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

These cars never appear to "formally" alert us that they might be running low & mine has not either so according to the on-board system, it's not actually "low" so others might also find a similar condition were they to check their levels.

Even checking the oil level itself requires those additional steps that would not normally be performed by 99.9% of the population so it's highly likely that most drivers would have no idea that their oil level was reducing. My A-type personality forces me to check these things due to having learned before I bought it that some others had experienced oil starvation failures so I find myself checking the level about once a month or so. Do you now of a simpler process for checking that doesn't require opening the bonnet?
scroll though I pack to oil level check before starting car, just turn ignition on and check

Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,386 Posts

ndabunka's technique gives an instantaneous reading, whereas the normal method mentioned by Brutal gives an average over some number of starts. No reason to go through the extra steps for the instantaneous reading, unless you're changing/adding oil.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
scroll though I pack to oil level check before starting car, just turn ignition on and check
So rather than actually starting your car each time you get in you simply turn the ignition on, check the levels and then put your foot on the brake and start the car after you have seen the levels. Interesting approach but not certain I would have the patience. I already wait until the revs drop down before putting the car in gear though so I am sitting in the garage for about 3-4 minutes after starting anyway so I guess an extra minute of two to check prior to startign could be viable.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

So, on our '14, I looked at oil level on a cold engine before starting. It was about 1/4 of the way off 'FULL'

Then (just to create a baseline) I checked oil the way the Owner's Manual recommended: Warm up engine, wait 10 minutes, check the menu. It was at the FULL line!

Old 09-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Yeah cause oil expands when warm. I check either way cause i want to see if it in range or not

Quick Reply: Servicing dealer has "no idea" of in-service date?